Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 877

Thread: IUP Football 2019

  1. #41

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    And don't forget the rather odd academic problems that have for some strange reason have plagued the IUP QB position the past half decade or so. It's been some tough sledding that way.

    Sounds like the staff may not have Davis' name written in stone as the next IUP QB as some observers believed last season.

    One oddity that may continue if Davis reverts back to his old high school jersey number of 5 is that he would be the fourth IUP QB to wear that number as a starter in recent years. He would follow Mike Box, Eddie $tockett, and Lenny Williams.

    -
    Based on what I hear, the redshirt kid is more talented but Davis was better coached in HS and came in more polished to be the back up last year. This position is by no means settled, don't be surprised by anything that might happen here. jus sayin

  2. #42

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    Based on what I hear, the redshirt kid is more talented but Davis was better coached in HS and came in more polished to be the back up last year. This position is by no means settled, don't be surprised by anything that might happen here. jus sayin
    Let's hope it is settled. No time splitting.

    Old adage: two QBs mean you don't have one.

  3. #43

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Let's hope it is settled. No time splitting.

    Old adage: two QBs mean you don't have one.
    Don't think it will be two. jus sayin

  4. #44

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    IUP just lost out on the Southern York WR.

    He chose Robert Morris.


    Blah

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    7024

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    From his twitter feed, looks like Lock Haven also offered him. Maybe the coaches are remembering the last IHS QB not offered that went to Clarion, who beat them a couple years later. The money is probably on the low side, so its a good risk.
    His twitter shows he visited Lock Haven, but not necessarily offered. I believe he would have stated that if so.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    7024

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    Unfortunately at the D2 level they are exposed to neither of these ...the strength coach is just a position coach/trainer given the additional duties and the players eat the same slop as the regular students......... jus sayin
    For the most part you are correct. Your average D-II football program doesn't have that strictly Strength Coach. A couple of programs, such as Slippery Rock (https://rockathletics.com/coaches.as...&path=football), Valdosta St (https://vstateblazers.com/coaches.as...&path=football) and Grand Valley St (https://gvsulakers.com/coaches.aspx?...&path=football) have them, but as you stated most programs assigned that duty to one of the positional coaches.

    And of course you are 100% correct regarding the food, they eat at the same dinning facilities as the rest of the students. In fact, some practices end closes to when dinning facilities are about to call it quits. This leaves players getting what is left in the serving lines, because they are not about to prepare the players anything fresh right before closing.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    21956

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...d81a981a-1d89-
    11e9-899b-a34

    Coach is delusional.
    "Teams that didn't play an 11th game were ranked ahead of us". Because they met the rankings criteria better, including better records.
    "...our win at Ashland didn't do us any good". It didn't do as much good as the three losses did bad.
    "What we did last year was insane." "Because of our budgets it's just not feasible to play on the road." A trip to Ashland is <4 hrs and similar to going to Millersville.
    "Ten games is good enough unless you get a home game". Either an 11th game is good or it isn't.

  8. #48

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...d81a981a-1d89-
    11e9-899b-a34

    Coach is delusional.
    "Teams that didn't play an 11th game were ranked ahead of us". Because they met the rankings criteria better, including better records.
    "...our win at Ashland didn't do us any good". It didn't do as much good as the three losses did bad.
    "What we did last year was insane." "Because of our budgets it's just not feasible to play on the road." A trip to Ashland is <4 hrs and similar to going to Millersville.
    "Ten games is good enough unless you get a home game". Either an 11th game is good or it isn't.

    D2 is all about money. That's all it's about. How many (high quality) players can you buy. It's the reason the same teams are good every year and the same teams suck every year.

    No D2 team is paying IUP to come to their stadium and get beat by them in non-conference. Those sweet deals that Lock Haven took to go to Texas and embarrass itself (or the upcoming Edinboro series with Grand Valley) ... those are just players being sacrificed for money. It happens on every level. Athletic departments pimp the current players for the (hopeful) betterment of the future. What will be an already thin Edinboro team just has to pray they get out of there in one piece.

    So, without a big guarantee, why would IUP take a road game to start the season? They have the prestige (and, more importantly, money) to dictate terms (as they just did in a one-year deal). They can either find somebody to come here (like New Haven) or bring in a scrub team (St. Augustine's, etc.). There's absolutely no reason for them to ever play a road game in non-conference. Add to it, there's ZERO chance IUP is getting scheduled by a 1-AA team. The three local ones (Duquesne, Robert Morris and St. Francis) wouldn't play IUP (or Cal/SRU) under any circumstance. Instead they target the Lock Haven's of the world.

    Go back about 35 years. Find how many times IUP played an 'away' non-conference game. It's going to be a real small number.

    So, looking at the IUP trip to Ashland last year ... it's not just the 4-hour bus ride. What do they give up by NOT having a home game instead? Hard to say for sure as we don't see the books. But, being it was a home/home series with no guarantee money involved ... sacrificing a home date is a BIG hit to the bottom line.

  9. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    D2 is all about money. That's all it's about. How many (high quality) players can you buy. It's the reason the same teams are good every year and the same teams suck every year.

    No D2 team is paying IUP to come to their stadium and get beat by them in non-conference. Those sweet deals that Lock Haven took to go to Texas and embarrass itself (or the upcoming Edinboro series with Grand Valley) ... those are just players being sacrificed for money. It happens on every level. Athletic departments pimp the current players for the (hopeful) betterment of the future. What will be an already thin Edinboro team just has to pray they get out of there in one piece.

    So, without a big guarantee, why would IUP take a road game to start the season? They have the prestige (and, more importantly, money) to dictate terms (as they just did in a one-year deal). They can either find somebody to come here (like New Haven) or bring in a scrub team (St. Augustine's, etc.). There's absolutely no reason for them to ever play a road game in non-conference. Add to it, there's ZERO chance IUP is getting scheduled by a 1-AA team. The three local ones (Duquesne, Robert Morris and St. Francis) wouldn't play IUP (or Cal/SRU) under any circumstance. Instead they target the Lock Haven's of the world.

    Go back about 35 years. Find how many times IUP played an 'away' non-conference game. It's going to be a real small number.

    So, looking at the IUP trip to Ashland last year ... it's not just the 4-hour bus ride. What do they give up by NOT having a home game instead? Hard to say for sure as we don't see the books. But, being it was a home/home series with no guarantee money involved ... sacrificing a home date is a BIG hit to the bottom line.
    Not as small as you think. Frank’s willingness to play anybody anywhere was a huge factor in getting IUP on the map nationally. Check the archives and you’ll see trips to places like Portland State, North Dakota State, home and homes with places like Nebraska-Omaha, Catawba, Grand Valley, New Haven and more. Obviously conference schedules were much less restrictive back then and I don’t really know what program budgets were like, clearly they allowed such trips to be made.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,495
    Rep Power
    70212

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    D2 is all about money. That's all it's about. How many (high quality) players can you buy. It's the reason the same teams are good every year and the same teams suck every year.

    No D2 team is paying IUP to come to their stadium and get beat by them in non-conference. Those sweet deals that Lock Haven took to go to Texas and embarrass itself (or the upcoming Edinboro series with Grand Valley) ... those are just players being sacrificed for money. It happens on every level. Athletic departments pimp the current players for the (hopeful) betterment of the future. What will be an already thin Edinboro team just has to pray they get out of there in one piece.

    So, without a big guarantee, why would IUP take a road game to start the season? They have the prestige (and, more importantly, money) to dictate terms (as they just did in a one-year deal). They can either find somebody to come here (like New Haven) or bring in a scrub team (St. Augustine's, etc.). There's absolutely no reason for them to ever play a road game in non-conference. Add to it, there's ZERO chance IUP is getting scheduled by a 1-AA team. The three local ones (Duquesne, Robert Morris and St. Francis) wouldn't play IUP (or Cal/SRU) under any circumstance. Instead they target the Lock Haven's of the world.

    Go back about 35 years. Find how many times IUP played an 'away' non-conference game. It's going to be a real small number.

    So, looking at the IUP trip to Ashland last year ... it's not just the 4-hour bus ride. What do they give up by NOT having a home game instead? Hard to say for sure as we don't see the books. But, being it was a home/home series with no guarantee money involved ... sacrificing a home date is a BIG hit to the bottom line.
    You sound like you're trying to rationalize his excuses. If Youngstown State offered IUP $100k to play them IUP would be STUPID to turn them down. Nobody is giving IUP football $100k.

  11. #51

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    You sound like you're trying to rationalize his excuses. If Youngstown State offered IUP $100k to play them IUP would be STUPID to turn them down. Nobody is giving IUP football $100k.
    No kidding. I said "So, without a big guarantee ..."


    Not excuses. Just money.

    And, after IUP's last trip to Youngstown, ... they are never being invited back.

  12. #52

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

    No D2 team is paying IUP to come to their stadium and get beat by them in non-conference. Those sweet deals that Lock Haven took to go to Texas and embarrass itself (or the upcoming Edinboro series with Grand Valley) ... those are just players being sacrificed for money. It happens on every level. Athletic departments pimp the current players for the (hopeful) betterment of the future. What will be an already thin Edinboro team just has to pray they get out of there in one piece.
    .
    If only that was true. They pimp out the football players for the other sports, leaving no betterment for the future football program.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    97,437
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...d81a981a-1d89-
    11e9-899b-a34

    Coach is delusional.
    "Teams that didn't play an 11th game were ranked ahead of us". Because they met the rankings criteria better, including better records.
    "...our win at Ashland didn't do us any good". It didn't do as much good as the three losses did bad.
    "What we did last year was insane." "Because of our budgets it's just not feasible to play on the road." A trip to Ashland is <4 hrs and similar to going to Millersville.
    "Ten games is good enough unless you get a home game". Either an 11th game is good or it isn't.
    Remember back in 2006 when you ragged on IUP for not playing the 11th game as they watched two 3 loss NE10 teams get in ahead of them when we only had 2 losses. You kept saying we should have played that 11th game like it was life of death.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    97,437
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    D2 is all about money. That's all it's about. How many (high quality) players can you buy. It's the reason the same teams are good every year and the same teams suck every year.

    No D2 team is paying IUP to come to their stadium and get beat by them in non-conference. Those sweet deals that Lock Haven took to go to Texas and embarrass itself (or the upcoming Edinboro series with Grand Valley) ... those are just players being sacrificed for money. It happens on every level. Athletic departments pimp the current players for the (hopeful) betterment of the future. What will be an already thin Edinboro team just has to pray they get out of there in one piece.

    So, without a big guarantee, why would IUP take a road game to start the season? They have the prestige (and, more importantly, money) to dictate terms (as they just did in a one-year deal). They can either find somebody to come here (like New Haven) or bring in a scrub team (St. Augustine's, etc.). There's absolutely no reason for them to ever play a road game in non-conference. Add to it, there's ZERO chance IUP is getting scheduled by a 1-AA team. The three local ones (Duquesne, Robert Morris and St. Francis) wouldn't play IUP (or Cal/SRU) under any circumstance. Instead they target the Lock Haven's of the world.

    Go back about 35 years. Find how many times IUP played an 'away' non-conference game. It's going to be a real small number.

    So, looking at the IUP trip to Ashland last year ... it's not just the 4-hour bus ride. What do they give up by NOT having a home game instead? Hard to say for sure as we don't see the books. But, being it was a home/home series with no guarantee money involved ... sacrificing a home date is a BIG hit to the bottom line.
    IUP did travel when Frank was running the show. I'm sure he had a lot of clout to get the funding to travel considering he was once the AD.

    I'm sure The Lou Tepper, Curt and Torts never had that kind of clout.

  15. #55

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    IUP did travel when Frank was running the show. I'm sure he had a lot of clout to get the funding to travel considering he was once the AD.

    I'm sure The Lou Tepper, Curt and Torts never had that kind of clout.
    Question is still very simple from an IUP view: why in the world would they want to play a road non-conference game minus some huge payoff ... which they aren't going to get because no 1-AA would schedule them.

    So long as Cal and SRU remain very strong, they'll always have two big games built in.

    I do agree Tort sounded whiney in the paper. Not the first time. His team also would have rather been dying in quicksand than playing against Shippensburg in that game. They embarrassed the program. He didn't mention that.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-24-2019 at 06:12 PM.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    7024

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    Based on what I hear, the redshirt kid is more talented but Davis was better coached in HS and came in more polished to be the back up last year. This position is by no means settled, don't be surprised by anything that might happen here. jus sayin
    BallHawkin,

    I've always thought the redshirt kid was maybe more talented. I kinda understand the rationale in allowing Davis to be last year's backup, he did come from a high profile program. Spring practice should be interesting. I just hope they don't crush both of their hearts by bringing in some D-1 transfer during the summer and practically give the transfer the job to lose.

  17. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Question is still very simple from an IUP view: why in the world would they want to play a road non-conference game minus some huge payoff ... which they aren't going to get because no 1-AA would schedule them.

    So long as Cal and SRU remain very strong, they'll always have two big games built in.

    I do agree Tort sounded whiney in the paper. Not the first time. His team also would have rather been dying in quicksand than playing against Shippensburg in that game. They embarrassed the program. He didn't mention that.
    And to top it off---he basically spent the week prior to the Ship game whining to the local media why his team deserved to be in the playoffs and how it was going to happen.

    But onto better things here in 2019....

    -

  18. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    BallHawkin,

    I've always thought the redshirt kid was maybe more talented. I kinda understand the rationale in allowing Davis to be last year's backup, he did come from a high profile program. Spring practice should be interesting. I just hope they don't crush both of their hearts by bringing in some D-1 transfer during the summer and practically give the transfer the job to lose.
    I actually liked both QBs when I had the chance to see them in a scrimmage last August. Wilkerson is a southpaw and has a high velocity arm. Davis was adept at the big play it seemed. I think that it could be one heck of a battle. They may prove to be interchangeable parts if you want to go down that route.

    -

  19. #59

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I actually liked both QBs when I had the chance to see them in a scrimmage last August. Wilkerson is a southpaw and has a high velocity arm. Davis was adept at the big play it seemed. I think that it could be one heck of a battle. They may prove to be interchangeable parts if you want to go down that route.

    -
    It never works.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,901
    Rep Power
    55876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I actually liked both QBs when I had the chance to see them in a scrimmage last August. Wilkerson is a southpaw and has a high velocity arm. Davis was adept at the big play it seemed. I think that it could be one heck of a battle. They may prove to be interchangeable parts if you want to go down that route.

    -

    Lol.... End that talk RIGHT NOW.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •