Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: IUP Football 2019

Contribute to D2

Quote Originally Posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
    Personally, I am not a fan of singling out a player when the team loses.

If the team played better early on, then the kick attempt would not matter as much.

Team sport.
    I remember the bigger issue being the snaping and poor blocking. I just happened to recall the kicker’s name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    I remember the bigger issue being the snaping and poor blocking. I just happened to recall the kicker’s name.

Special teams gaffes were not uncommon for IUP for a stretch of years back then. The ‘99 team very well could have made the national championship game if not for a missed extra point and failure to recover a short kickoff in the national semis against NW Missouri. And the famous near upset of Youngstown State might have gone IUP’s way had special teams not pretty much handed YSU their only TD.

3. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    It didn’t rain that day, but it had been the day before. It was a dark, cold, and windy day though. Definitely a miserable sit, especially given the outcome. IUP trailed 7-0 late until Failla threw a TD pass only to have the extra point blocked and returned the other way for a two-point score. IUP still had a chance but Failla threw four straight incompletions around midfield that ended the game.

It’s unlikely they would have made the tying field goal anyway as I believe they had two kicks blocked and either a bad snap or straight miss on another occasion. The kicking game was hideous. I believe the kicker at the time was Jay Glymph.

Years later I can’t believe I a) went to that game and b) stayed til the very end. I have to admit feeling somewhat relieved when IUP failed to tie it up and we could leave, as in those days I refused to ever leave a game early. Today my personal comfort trumps everything else and I would not venture out in such a forecast unless someone very close to me was playing.

Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Years later I can’t believe I a) went to that game and b) stayed til the very end. I have to admit feeling somewhat relieved when IUP failed to tie it up and we could leave, as in those days I refused to ever leave a game early. Today my personal comfort trumps everything else and I would not venture out in such a forecast unless someone very close to me was playing.
    I, too, attended. You can justify sitting through it when you win. It just sucks otherwise.

We were three of probably 200 people there. Although, in message board years I think that number is up to about 5,000 now. Lol.

Saying out loud that a grown man missed a kick that would have tied the game (and missed a couple of others) in a 9-6 loss isn’t exactly kicking him when he’s down ..he knows it... can’t handle the truth don’t come out on the stage. Jus sayin

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    Saying out loud that a grown man missed a kick that would have tied the game (and missed a couple of others) in a 9-6 loss isn’t exactly kicking him when he’s down ..he knows it... can’t handle the truth don’t come out on the stage. Jus sayin
    I have to agree with you. In pee-wee football you feel bad for the kid. At this level of college football the player is expected to make the kick.

At the high D2 level, anything inside 35-38 yards should be expected to be automatic. Being on a (D2) high profile team comes with pressure. They know that coming here. College sports aren't for everybody.

The 48-yard, walk-off against Ashland two years ago was really a 'moment' at Miller Stadium. At that distance you can't expect D2 kickers to routinely nail that one. But, they best make 33-yard kicks all day long.

Recall just a few years ago IUP couldn't even make extra points.

#laces-out

I thought the PAT attempt when it was 7-6 got blocked. Sounds like a blocking assignment issue more than the kicker.

8. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Recall just a few years ago IUP couldn't even make extra points.
    #laces-out
    Yes, but that was an anomoly. IUP has a long history of great kickers going back to Frank's first years as HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    I thought the PAT attempt when it was 7-6 got blocked. Sounds like a blocking assignment issue more than the kicker.
    Wasn’t there so don’t know... wasn’t the point I was making anyway but since you brought it up perhaps he kicked it into the centers rearend, no blocking assignment would be any help there ... jus sayin

Wasn’t there so don’t know... wasn’t the point I was making anyway but since you brought it up perhaps he kicked it into the centers rearend, no blocking assignment would be any help there ... jus sayin
    According to the recent article posted on on Shepherd's web site someone came from the left side and blocked it:

https://shepherdrams.com/news/2019/4...?path=football

Ok, again not my point ....but yeah low kicks generally get blocked. With that being said, I have no trouble calling out the left tackle if he missed his block to blow the game though. jus sayin

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728