Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: IUP Football 2019

Contribute to D2

Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    His job was classified as part-time and temporary. His compensation was just $9,680.
    Wow, now who was getting paid less than $10K to be a position coach?

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I wonder if you're thinking of Wahler here? That used to be the basketball gym and where they held games many, many moons ago. It is in the Oak Grove. Uhler, IIRC, is actually across the street over by Stright I want to say.

Wahler is still there but has been converted into a theater these many years. I recall watching a play called "On The Verge" there for my theater class back in the spring of 1991. I think Fisher and Wahler are now conjoined with the project they did about a decade ago. -
    Yes, I should have checked with IUP historian! I do mean Wahler. Fisher Auditorium. Geez, does that bring back some memories of free movies on a Friday night. Brings an Al Bundy type tear to the eye just thinking of those days some 40 years ago.

3. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUPMonk View Post
    Yes, I should have checked with IUP historian! I do mean Wahler. Fisher Auditorium. Geez, does that bring back some memories of free movies on a Friday night. Brings an Al Bundy type tear to the eye just thinking of those days some 40 years ago.
    I know what you mean. The majority of my fondest memories from a youth that has since long passed are quite a few years back there as well.

-

4. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

I once saw Vanilla Ice in the Hub -- because he couldn't sell enough tickets for Fischer Auditorium.

5. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I once saw Vanilla Ice in the Hub -- because he couldn't sell enough tickets for Fischer Auditorium.
    Wow, that's crazy. I remember seeing Richie Havens in the HUB. You can earn points if you know who Richie Havens was.

6. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

I looked at the campus map. No 'h' in Waller. But now I remember Uhler. I took a 6 credit Spanish immersion class in Uhler Hall in the summer of 1980 that set me on a path of becoming proficient in Spanish and changed my life forever - using Spanish in my career, traveling, meeting people I never would have met. I forgot that was sparked in Uhler Hall (so many years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by SRU 88 View Post
    see: Jared Buck & Teddy Blakeman

Does anybody recall a ROCK player transferring to IUP? I don't

Don't forget the IUP AD's kid played at SRU as well.

We don’t want the added expense of removing their embedded Dr. Evil control chip

Johnny Franco, a former All American and Defensive Secondary & Strength Coach at IUP for the past 5 years is now the Co-D-Coord and DB Coach with the Italian American Football team Guelfi Firenze:

http://www.guelfifirenze.it/2019/02/...adito-ritorno/

And younger brother Steve, also a former player as well as a Defense Graduate Assistant with IUP last season will be joining John on the team as a player:

http://www.guelfifirenze.it/2019/02/...-estra-guelfi/

The Head Coach of this team is the former Baylor University Head Coach Art Briles. Congrats and good luck.

Quite a few shoes need to be filled on the IUP coaching staff.
    Last edited by ShoNuff; 02-16-2019 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Correct name

9. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    John Franco, a former All American and Defensive Secondary & Strength Coach at IUP for the past 5 years is now the Co-D-Coord and DB Coach with the Italian American Football team Guelfi Firenze:

And younger brother Steve, also a former player as well as a Defense Graduate Assistant with IUP last season will be joining John on the team as a player:

The Head Coach of this team is the former Baylor University Head Coach Art Briles. Congrats and good luck.

Hopefully they don't learn too much from Briles. Lol.

10. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

John Franco, a former All American and Defensive Secondary & Strength Coach at IUP for the past 5 years is now the Co-D-Coord and DB Coach with the Italian American Football team Guelfi Firenze:

It's a loss but it's also an opportunity. Hopefully, the shoes will be filled with quality people.

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    It's a loss but it's also an opportunity. Hopefully, the shoes will be filled with quality people.
    That is VERY true GroundHog, an opportunity for Coach Zacharias and the Francos coach/play at the next level, and an opportunity for others to fill the open IUP coaching positions. A win/win situation for all.

12. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Briles is done in the States. That's about as firm a blackball that has ever been given. Deserved, by the way, too. He's a scum.

13. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

That is VERY true GroundHog, an opportunity for Coach Zacharias and the Francos coach/play at the next level, and an opportunity for others to fill the open IUP coaching positions. A win/win situation for all.
    Truth be told it's probably a positive. The secondary was a mess last year. That group was a circus on the sideline and their behavior was embarrassing. They need a strict coach who doesn't care about being their boy.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Truth be told it's probably a positive. The secondary was a mess last year. That group was a circus on the sideline and their behavior was embarrassing. They need a strict coach who doesn't care about being their boy.

Exactly what Franco was. Give me somebody who isn’t an “IUP guy.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Alright, football aficionados--- it's time for another fun-filled installment of "Buying and Selling at IUP." As always, buying of course means that you are agreeing with the statement and selling is that you are disagreeing. Let's jump right in and get started!

1. 2019 will represent a rebuilding year for IUP football.

2. Tort and the IUP coaching staff have a lot to prove in 2019 after a very subpar year last season.

3. Javon Davis and Yahmir Wilkerson will battle exclusively to become the starting IUP QB in 2019.

4. Academic casualty Duane Brown will make it back to have an impact on the IUP backfield in 2019.

5. WR JoJo Gause will emerge as an impact pass-catcher in 2019.

6. LB Damon Lloyd will have an All-American season in 2019.

16. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

1. 2019 will represent a rebuilding year for IUP football. Heck no. They have almost 80 percent of the starters back from last year and have the funds to supplement the rest with high-dollar mercenaries.

2. Tort and the IUP coaching staff have a lot to prove in 2019 after a very subpar year last season. Tort is 21-4 as a head coach. However, last year's 8-3 was seen by almost everybody as a disaster -- on the field and off. With the fan base at IUP and the resources given to the head coach -- 8-3 doesn't cut it (in particular when top players are sitting in the stands in academic trouble).

3. Javon Davis and Yahmir Wilkerson will battle exclusively to become the starting IUP QB in 2019. No. It's likely one leaves after Spring Ball.

4. Academic casualty Duane Brown will make it back to have an impact on the IUP backfield in 2019. Not only an impact, ... but a HUGE impact. He will be the best weapon in the entire offense next season -- both out of the backfield and also lined up in the slot. He's a D1 athlete playing D2. That will show this fall.

5. WR JoJo Gause will emerge as an impact pass-catcher in 2019. He already has. Look what happened to the IUP offense after he went down last season. It totally changed -- and not for the better.

6. LB Damon Lloyd will have an All-American season in 2019. Likely.

1. 2019 will represent a rebuilding year for IUP football. - Buy, despite the large number of returning starters, the change at QB will bring a change in the offense. What will they come up with to match the new QBs - what happens means the difference between 8-3 and 10-1 and 11-0

2. Tort and the IUP coaching staff have a lot to prove in 2019 after a very subpar year last season. -- Buy, it's true, 8-3 is not bad, but there is some accounting to be done for the difference in the team that beat Ashland, and the one that lost to Ship.

3. Javon Davis and Yahmir Wilkerson will battle exclusively to become the starting IUP QB in 2019. -- Sell, tort already said he is looking around. position is too important to rely on these two as your only choices.

4. Academic casualty Duane Brown will make it back to have an impact on the IUP backfield in 2019. - - Sell, I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. Consistency has not been there yet. We keep waiting, maybe its this year he will put it all together.

5. WR JoJo Gause will emerge as an impact pass-catcher in 2019. Buy, plus perhaps we can get a bit more of a possession passing game this year - its needed.

6. LB Damon Lloyd will have an All-American season in 2019. buy - hopefully he doesn't get senioritis like some others did. Having his brother on the team this year might help.

1. 2019 will represent a rebuilding year for IUP football: Sell - barring another bite from the academic bug, IUP brings back quite a few players from last year's team, to include players that were academically ineligible. And even with their starting QB graduating I believe they have enough to actually compete for the PSAC West, it just won't be easy.

2. Tort and the IUP coaching staff have a lot to prove in 2019 after a very subpar year last season: Buy - I thought the offensive play-calling was predictable and NOT creative. Defensive secondary did not look good most of the season, with only adjustments made at the CB positions. And when needed to make a stop the DL was getting manhandled or the OL were unable to get a push during goal line situations. That could fall on their strength and conditioning. So improvements from the coaching staff is a must, or they will take another step back.

3. Javon Davis and Yahmir Wilkerson will battle exclusively to become the starting IUP QB in 2019: Sell - They will battle this Spring, which should be interesting, but Coach Tort has already stated he's searching for a QB transfer. I am sure he will have someone by the time Fall camp rolls around.

4. Academic casualty Duane Brown will make it back to have an impact on the IUP backfield in 2019: Buy - Brown is the tough-yardage back that was missing last year. During his freshman year he was counted on to get those yards. He will deliver again this coming Fall, especially since there's no "Big backs" like Temple or Drew Harris around to steal the short-yardage reps. MY question is who will they move to play slot...Justice or Anderson?

5. WR JoJo Gause will emerge as an impact pass-catcher in 2019: Buy - Jo Jo will be a top option in the red zone, so I see him being more of a passing threat in the offense.

6. LB Damon Lloyd will have an All-American season in 2019: Sell - I hope I am incorrect, but in order for him to make the jump to All American status he needs to make more tackles in the backfield against the run as well as a better defender against the pass. I know the young man will work very hard this off season to get there, but he will need good DL play, particularly at the DT area, to allow him to penetrate the backfield more.
    Last edited by ShoNuff; 02-20-2019 at 03:42 PM.

The Spring Roster is out:

https://iupathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Notice a 3rd QB on the roster, a Jalen Reese from OH:

https://iupathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6143

He is listed as a Freshman, but my research suggest for a few years he was on the University of Toledo squad:

https://utrockets.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5851

Notice a 3rd QB on the roster, a Jalen Reese from OH: He is listed as a Freshman, but my research suggest for a few years he was on the University of Toledo squad:
    https://utrockets.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5851
    He had to have sat out the 2018 because the Toledo 2018 roster has him listed as being in his 5th year who never saw the field on game day?

Did not see game action.

Did not see game action.

Did not see game action.

Sat out season as a redshirt.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast