Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UWG Thread 2019

Contribute to D2

Default Re: UWG Thread 2019

Football season predictions? Lots of away games. Somewhere between 8-3 & 10-1. I have made arrangements to attend the opener at Catawba.

I believe UWG's gonna have a really good team this year. I've read that have 16 starters returning ( I know - always subject to academics). I know WG folks were bummed last year, but the team was 10-0 and winning convincingly through the season. Was probably the best UWG team in many years. Probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the country last year (out of 167 or so teams). They just ran into a VSU team that had an offense that was honestly pretty much unstoppable. It was an emotional loss, but I was kinda surprised that the Wolves couldn't re-focus before the Wingate game (West Georgia was the better team - I was surprised by the loss). I do know I didn't want VSU to have to play UWG a second time.

I have a daughter that lives pretty close to Carrolton. I think a whole lot of David Dean - a fine man and coach. Same for members of his coaching staff. I'm looking to visit my daughter and go to a couple of y'alls games this fall. Thinking maybe West Florida and of course VSU. Might find one other.

Hope the Wolves have another great year. I think they will.
    Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 06-28-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf King View Post
    Football season predictions? Lots of away games. Somewhere between 8-3 & 10-1. I have made arrangements to attend the opener at Catawba.
    Closer to 8-3. I haven't heard about any O-Line upgrades as far as transfers and we only have 10 on the roster with very little experience besides Walter and Connors. Defense and our very athletic skill players will carry the team but we cant make a playoff run without a line.

I'll be at every home game I can make! Happy to have a couple night games. VSU night is chili night at the tailgate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
    I saw mixed responses to his retirement announcement on twitter. Hopefully the replacement can spark some interest with the community and make us highly competitive. Does this make the most tenured head coach at UWG coach Dean?
    Groninger.

Most teams will have 115-120 or so guys on the roster when camp starts. The ones and twos will get significant playing time. That means 70 or so guys that aren't getting playing time will think they're being mistreated. Add mamma's and daddy's and grandparents and aunts and uncles and girlfriends and there's a whole lotta folks that think Junior ain't been treated right (when the truth is his athleticism, his work ethic or his attitude are probably what kept him out of the mix).

In line with that, a number of years ago VSU was headed into the opening game. I asked Dean how many players had been on the roster to get to the 115 or so guys on the roster for opening day. He checked and there were 156 names that were or had been on the list. That means to get to the 115 on opening day 40 or so guys had either quit, were casualties of academics or had gotten into some kind of trouble (with coaches or otherwise) and were no longer on the team. That was eye opening to me (and is a pretty good reflection of the challenges all of these coaches have fielding a high performing team of 18 to 23 year olds every year).
    Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 07-11-2019 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post
    Most teams will have 115-120 or so guys on the roster when camp starts.
    Did not know there are that many. How many had to play w/o helmets??

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Right View Post
    No idea, but I'd bet they are easy to pick out after practice.

A lot of them will get redshirted.

9. Default Re: UWG Thread 2019

Most D2 teams will have closer to 120-130 at the start of camp these days. We had about 118 at the end of last season

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Right View Post
    I think we had 140ish last year

Devontae Jackson's jersey on display in the College Football Hall of Fame.

https://twitter.com/cfbhall/status/1152367894275252224

Strong rumor we are returning to red helmets this year.

13. Default Re: UWG Thread 2019

Hard to beat the red helmets with the blue jerseys and white pants. The white looked sharp too though

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
    Hard to beat the red helmets with the blue jerseys and white pants. The white looked sharp too though
    Hard to beat the white helmets, how the white is trimmed could change, how about a blue wolf on the white helmet?

We have a transfer DL from Kennesaw the D1 clock ran out on. I hear he's got some talent..

17. Default Re: UWG Thread 2019

The team is going to have White Helmets this year. No plans go change the helmet color anytime soon as far as I’ve heard!

18. Default Re: UWG Thread 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Superwolfe View Post
    Hard to beat the white helmets, how the white is trimmed could change, how about a blue wolf on the white helmet?
    I don’t think UWG will be returning to red helmets anytime soon. The team has worn less and less red and the years have gone on. Since the Adidas change I’ve seen a emphasis on Blue/White.

Did Matthew Clay get his new sound system?

Quote Originally Posted by UWGWolves16 View Post
    I don’t think UWG will be returning to red helmets anytime soon. The team has worn less and less red and the years have gone on. Since the Adidas change I’ve seen a emphasis on Blue/White.
    May just be hearsay, but the word is that the university as a whole is going to move more towards red being a dominant color to represent the school. I don't know how/if it'll trickle to athletics.

I prefer blue as the main color, but not necessarily on a helmet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast