Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MIAA Week 3 chat

Default MIAA Week 3 chat

Sorry NSIC posters, I thought we would copy your chat thread. After two weeks of conference play, I thought it would be a good time to discuss this week's match-ups. There are some intriguing ones to discuss. There are also some teams that are really surprising and are playing well right now. Mo. West is making a big splash and they are riding a 2 game conference winning streak with 2 home games against Washburn and Emporia State. It will be interesting to see if they can keep things going. Lincoln is another team that had two big wins at home beating both Mo. Southern and Pitt State and is off to a great start at 3-1 in the conference. They have a tough game at Lindenwood on Sat. The game on Saturday between NW Mo. State and Washburn looks like a big one. NW Mo State continues to shoot really well (45% from 3pt range) and they are very efficient offensively. Any team that shoots that well, doesn't turn it over and plays great team defense is going to be tough to beat. Washburn is playing well. They lead the conference in assists per game and in blocked shots. Their depth is impressive and if they continue to rebound and defend like they have been they could be a challenge for NW Mo. State. It will be a tall task to beat NW at home but it should be an interesting game. The last game that has the most intrigue for me is Central Missouri at Pitt State on Sat. UCM is getting healthier and with Lowrance back in the post, they are a different team. They won both games last week and Lowrance averaged 15pts and 8.5 rebounds over those two games. It will be interesting to see if they can take that on the road against high scoring Pitt State. Two different styles. UCM scores in the 60's and Pitt State scores in the high 80's and 90's.

Default Re: MIAA Week 3 chat

Pitt has SBU first, then Central.
    I agree that Central will be a fun matchup.

Also looks like SBU has a tough 3 game stretch. Pitt, Southern, Elwood.

4. Default Re: MIAA Week 3 chat

What game is the most intriguing tonight in the MIAA? Emporia State and NW Mo. St. or Washburn at Mo. Western or Southwest Baptist at Pitt St. I think Washburn and Mo. Western has the most intrigue. Not because I am a Washburn fan but because you have a hot team in Mo. Western coming off two very nice road wins coming in with a lot of confidence against a Washburn team that has been in the 90's in 5 of their last 6 games that is also playing well. Should be very interesting.

Interested to see how Pitt State fares this week at home.
    At first I thought the loss to Lincoln could be a bad sign, but then seeing the Gorillas bounce back on the road at Lindenwood and seeing what Lincoln did to MSSU (the Blue Tigers are legit), I feel a lot better.

Washburn/Western is probably the most intriguing game tonight, though. I work with a guy from last year's Washburn team and he says those guys have totally bought in on Ballard and are extremely confident (in a good way).

6. Default Re: MIAA Week 3 chat

I hope Terrence Smith keeps going 5-7 from 3 land and scoring 35 in all the rest of his games, and Lincoln will end up near the top of the MIAA. Geez that guy was on fire Saturday.

Griffon men lead WU by 5 at half. MWSU has hit 9 threes and is shooting almost 50 percent from the field.

75-71 Griffs with 5:14 to play. Bods shooting horribly from the FT line. Five Griffons in double figures.

OT, 86-86.

Heartbreaking...good effort Griffs

WU wins on a BS foul call with 1.8 seconds left. 95-94.

tough luck for MWSU....we were hoping they’d knock off WU. Refs were bad in the NW game too. The MIAA plays at a higher level than the Officials referee. The players deserve better Refs IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFanatic View Post
    tough luck for MWSU....we were hoping they’d knock off WU. Refs were bad in the NW game too. The MIAA plays at a higher level than the Officials referee. The players deserve better Refs IMHO.
    Just how do you propose they get better refs?

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    WU wins on a BS foul call with 1.8 seconds left. 95-94.
    Tough break at the end for Western.

Was it a foul? Yes. Should it have been called in that situation? Depends on your stance. If you believe calling it the same the entire game then you call the foul. If you believe you let some things go at the end of the game and let the players decide then you don't call it.

15. Default Re: MIAA Week 3 chat

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post

Was it a foul? Yes. Should it have been called in that situation? Depends on your stance. If you believe calling it the same the entire game then you call the foul. If you believe you let some things go at the end of the game and let the players decide then you don't call it.
    Just got back from the Washburn/Mo. West game. I’m a basketball purist and I hate to see a game decided on a call like that. With that being said, it wasn’t a ticky tack foul. It was a pretty obvious foul. I have reffed and it is hard not to blow your whistle when it is obvious cuz it is a reflex. He probably wishes he wouldn’t have blown his whistle and the game would have went to double OT. My analysis is Washburn survived 19 3’s, 58% from the FT line and 2 of their top 8 out with injuries. One starter out the whole game and the other missed the 2nd half tonight. They survived and fought thru adversity to get the win. Mo West is much improved and play a style that is tough to guard.

I learned long ago "obvious" is in the eye of the beholder, but it did not appear to be consistent with the way the game had been called all night long.

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post

Isn't not calling a foul that would have been called earlier in the game, helping to decide the outcome?
    Last edited by Randy; 01-10-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Isn't not calling a foul that would have been called earlier in the game, helping to decide the outcome?
    Yes!

Looks like Pitt had an easy time with SBU

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I didn't say that was what I believe. I have heard both sides of the argument. Some say the rules are the rules and you call it the same the entire game. I have heard many others say you swallow the whistles at the end unless it is blatant. I'm not picking a side, just stating that depending on who you are rooting for and what your philosophy is then that will determine whether you think it should have been called. I have seen many times players are blatantly on half court or longer shots at the end of the half/game and officials swallow their whistles then. That's not calling it the same but I rarely, if ever, hear someone say they should have called the foul on that half court shot at the end of the game. I'm not saying it is correct, just observations.

I have officiated basketball myself. I would not have called a foul on what happened. But I probably wouldn't have called it throughout the game either. At the same time, I don't think you can argue with calling it a foul. It was 50/50 play in my eyes. Earlier I said it was a foul in response to GrifFan saying it was BS because I could truly see it going either way. It wasn't a 100% no call.

Shot fake > defender jumps > offensive player dribbles to the side > defender comes down and bumps offensive player while he is still dribbling (no shot attempt). Foul called (on the floor outside the 3 point line) with 1.8. I only saw the play in real time and that was my instinct when I saw it. If I saw the replay I may change my mind but officials don't have that luxury.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast