Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

  1. #1

    Default Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Saw online GV’s 2019 schedule only has 10 games on it. Does anyone know if they plan on adding an 11th. I know they signed a contract for 2 year with Dixie State but there not on the schedule. Was there some kind of scheduling problem?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Lakers played Dixie State on Oct. 6 and it looks like this year's open date is Nov. 2, so GLIAC schedule rotation?

  3. Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    That doesn’t mean anything. They signed a home and home.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denton County, TX
    Posts
    10,913
    Rep Power
    172233

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
    That doesn’t mean anything. They signed a home and home.
    The other issue is how the RMAC's schedule rotation plays out. Just because GV has their open date in the GLIAC schedule on November 2, that doesn't mean that Dixie State has that same open date on their RMAC schedule.

    Dixie State's open date, according to the RMAC's approved schedule, is Oct. 12, the same date Grand Valley hosts Saginaw Valley.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,887
    Rep Power
    58705

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
    That doesn’t mean anything. They signed a home and home.
    No H@H with Dixie. Was a one-game contract.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    15,599
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    It is too late to get a game in there during the bye at this point, I would think.

    Maybe having a bye week before the Ferris game isn't the worst idea. Hahaha

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Allendale, Mi.
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    150

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    William Jewell and Adams State show open dates on 11/2 on this site. Might not be the greatest competition but I'd like to see an 11 game schedule. Anyone know if KB is still trying to fill that date?

  8. Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by 4nick8 View Post
    William Jewell and Adams State show open dates on 11/2 on this site. Might not be the greatest competition but I'd like to see an 11 game schedule. Anyone know if KB is still trying to fill that date?
    Adams I could see maybe if they were at home, but William Jewel gives you no playoff points and you MIGHT get someone hurt in a meaningless game...IF they add an 11th game make it worth while...A week off before Ferris State doesnt sound all that bad either however...get healed up some, rest up...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Allendale, Mi.
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    150

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
    Adams I could see maybe if they were at home, but William Jewel gives you no playoff points and you MIGHT get someone hurt in a meaningless game...IF they add an 11th game make it worth while...A week off before Ferris State doesnt sound all that bad either however...get healed up some, rest up...
    You'll have to explain "playoff points" to me. If W J doesn't count towards the nine game requirement, FSU shouldn't have been in the playoffs with nullification factor figured in. An 11th game gives more wiggle room in that regard.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)
    Posts
    6,998
    Rep Power
    88198

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by 4nick8 View Post
    You'll have to explain "playoff points" to me. If W J doesn't count towards the nine game requirement, FSU shouldn't have been in the playoffs with nullification factor figured in. An 11th game gives more wiggle room in that regard.
    They do count. But it's likely that ones SOS takes a hit. Kind of like DSU did to GV last season. Maybe DSU might be as bad, record wise, this year, so GV could have 2 duds on its schedule. And nullification factor/wiggle room? What does that have to do with scheduling an 11th game? The penalty to FSU impacted it's W/L and SOS numbers. And the 4 game penalty essentially equated to a loss. I'm not expecting GV to ever be subject to such a penalty... and would never use that potential as a reason to schedule an 11th game.

    For me, it's a tough call. I'd love another contest, but there are pluses to having an open date just before ones toughest match-up of the season. I would be all in if GV could leave that slot open and somehow get a waiver to have the 11th game the week before Edinboro. But the odds for that may not even exist.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsthortonmelon View Post
    adams i could see maybe if they were at home, but william jewel gives you no playoff points and you might get someone hurt in a meaningless game...if they add an 11th game make it worth while...a week off before ferris state doesnt sound all that bad either however...get healed up some, rest up...
    but i could attend the game!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Allendale, Mi.
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    150

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    [QUOTE=Redwing;2338846]They do count. But it's likely that ones SOS takes a hit.

    For me, it's a tough call. I'd love another contest, but there are pluses to having an open date just before ones toughest match-up of the season.



    So, there should be no excuse to lose to FSU next year with an extra week to prepare and get healthy and rested.
    Or, if/when GV loses, will the MM bandwagon say we were rusty. Just playing devils advocate. I say play 11 games. As long as I can remember, GV would play anyone anywhere anytime. Let's do what it takes to fill the bye week and build the players experience level and confidence

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)
    Posts
    6,998
    Rep Power
    88198

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    [QUOTE=4nick8;2338939]
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    They do count. But it's likely that ones SOS takes a hit.

    For me, it's a tough call. I'd love another contest, but there are pluses to having an open date just before ones toughest match-up of the season.



    So, there should be no excuse to lose to FSU next year with an extra week to prepare and get healthy and rested.
    Or, if/when GV loses, will the MM bandwagon say we were rusty. Just playing devils advocate. I say play 11 games. As long as I can remember, GV would play anyone anywhere anytime. Let's do what it takes to fill the bye week and build the players experience level and confidence
    Devi's advocate? Sure

    A bye never guarantees a win. Never said it would. You asked how this matters for playoffs, then you make some snarky comment about a potential loss.(Do we really need to bring in MM dislike to a scheduling thread? WTF?) ,

    As far as filling the slot.... GV is trying. And based on GV's track record, they are the last school to be accused of not wanting to fill open dates. Name ANY team that has routinely gone as far as GV has to play others (maybe some GNAC school, but you know what I mean.) You can't play yourself you know. And opinions are all over the place, but there are valid points as to having or not having an open date and who ones competition would be. As I mentioned, I can see both sides on this. You seem to want to play anyone. You know that comments will appear about GV filling in their schedule with creampuffs if that happens. To each there own.

  14. Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Is it even possible to fill the GV DATE at this point?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,887
    Rep Power
    58705

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by 4nick8 View Post
    So, there should be no excuse to lose to FSU next year with an extra week to prepare and get healthy and rested.
    Or, if/when GV loses, will the MM bandwagon say we were rusty. Just playing devils advocate. I say play 11 games. As long as I can remember, GV would play anyone anywhere anytime. Let's do what it takes to fill the bye week and build the players experience level and confidence
    Not wanting to play 11 games is definitely NOT the issue. The week that we have open needs to have someone else with an open week that WANTS/IS WILLING to play us. Just because we ask someone to play us doesn't mean they will...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holland, MI
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    121722

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Irishlaker View Post
    Not wanting to play 11 games is definitely NOT the issue. The week that we have open needs to have someone else with an open week that WANTS/IS WILLING to play us. Just because we ask someone to play us doesn't mean they will...
    AND just because we want to play them does not mean they are not going to ask for a lot of money if they come to us OR that we have to spend a lot of money to travel to play at their place. Neither is a cheap deal and lets be honest budgets are tight and getting tighter..this is not D1 where you own a money printing press in the back office.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    680
    Blog Entries
    85
    Rep Power
    36749

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by champgymusa View Post
    AND just because we want to play them does not mean they are not going to ask for a lot of money if they come to us OR that we have to spend a lot of money to travel to play at their place. Neither is a cheap deal and lets be honest budgets are tight and getting tighter..this is not D1 where you own a money printing press in the back office.
    Both you and Irish are indeed right, Champ. In my experience with GV, they have never not tried to fill every open date. Getting folks to agree to doing so is its own challenge, and there is very likely a separate issue with how much it takes $-wise to get someone to make the trip in to Allendale.

    My only counterpoint here would be related to the "D1 Money Printing Press". I've talked about this out here in other threads and I won't derail this one...but there are very few schools actually making money. Most of D1 definitely is NOT.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    15,599
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
    Both you and Irish are indeed right, Champ. In my experience with GV, they have never not tried to fill every open date. Getting folks to agree to doing so is its own challenge, and there is very likely a separate issue with how much it takes $-wise to get someone to make the trip in to Allendale.

    My only counterpoint here would be related to the "D1 Money Printing Press". I've talked about this out here in other threads and I won't derail this one...but there are very few schools actually making money. Most of D1 definitely is NOT.
    At least for 2019, it seems like if they were to find an open spot, it would have to be an away game. GV's 2019 schedule is already 6 home games, 4 away games.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    33,800
    Rep Power
    355786

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Me, I'm just happy that the schedule lines up somewhat with my wedding/honeymoon plans. I had thought that the schedule was going to flip and NMU would be at GVSU on the 14th of September and roadie up to MTU the next weekend. But I'll take Delta State at GVSU on the 14th and currently the plan is to go up to the UP and Pictured Rocks and probably stop by Frankenmuth to end the week. Think I can talk someone into staying an extra day somewhere along the way to make Midland as well.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holland, MI
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    121722

    Default Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
    Both you and Irish are indeed right, Champ. In my experience with GV, they have never not tried to fill every open date. Getting folks to agree to doing so is its own challenge, and there is very likely a separate issue with how much it takes $-wise to get someone to make the trip in to Allendale.

    My only counterpoint here would be related to the "D1 Money Printing Press". I've talked about this out here in other threads and I won't derail this one...but there are very few schools actually making money. Most of D1 definitely is NOT.
    Yea probably too wide of brush, people seem to think that GVSU has all kinds of money to just do whatever they want and nothing could be further from the truth. The football program works very hard to get the best bang for the buck and they also do a lot of fundraising as do all the sports on the campus. Some more than others of course but over all the idea that just GVSU is bigger means more money...nope..thank goodness for donors and good leadership in house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •