Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Max Redfield

Contribute to D2

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Except that outside of football Max has higher career aspirations than selling insurance (not that insurance is bad). Remember, he is a graduate of Notre Dame (the one in South Bend) and he studied Philosophy and Chinese language. If the football doesn't work out he would likely pursue a carrer in international business or law. If so, hopefully he would have as much success as another former IUP athlete/Chinese speaker, Leland Hardy. Leland was probably the most intellectually intense and dynamic person I've ever known. Read about him in the link below. Great pic of Leland in the ring with Muhammad Ali when he served as Ali's interpreter on Ali's tour of China in the article.

https://www.iup.edu/magazine/feature...aspx?id=126803

How does a philosophy degree equate to success in international business or law? That’s one of those degrees where people end up waiting tables after graduation. I wish the kid all the best and I recognize that he was at ND, but I’m sorry, I see zero correlation between philosophy and international business/law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Max Redfield

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    How does a philosophy degree equate to success in international business or law? That’s one of those degrees where people end up waiting tables after graduation. I wish the kid all the best and I recognize that he was at ND, but I’m sorry, I see zero correlation between philosophy and international business/law.
    That's because you don't understand the relationship. Quick google search of "philosophy and law school" yielded the references below on the first page of the search. It's great preparation for law school and other professional programs. Redfield also took business courses and if he wants to go the MBA route he is well prepared.

http://www.umsl.edu/~philo/Undergrad...Law/index.html
    https://www.kutztown.edu/academics/c...law-school.htm
    https://law.yale.edu/centers-worksho...and-philosophy
    https://www.law.uchicago.edu/lawandphilosophy
    https://www.uakron.edu/philosophy/ca...chool-lsat.dot
    https://philosophy.unc.edu/undergrad...in-philosophy/

3. Default Re: Max Redfield

Except that outside of football Max has higher career aspirations than selling insurance (not that insurance is bad). Remember, he is a graduate of Notre Dame (the one in South Bend) and he studied Philosophy and Chinese language. If the football doesn't work out he would likely pursue a carrer in international business or law. If so, hopefully he would have as much success as another former IUP athlete/Chinese speaker, Leland Hardy. Leland was probably the most intellectually intense and dynamic person I've ever known. Read about him in the link below. Great pic of Leland in the ring with Muhammad Ali when he served as Ali's interpreter on Ali's tour of China in the article.

https://www.iup.edu/magazine/feature...aspx?id=126803
    I was making a generalization with the insurance comment, not speaking of anyone specifically. Main point remains the same. Few, if any, careers would be aversely affected by giving football a shot for a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post

I received a bachelor degree in Philosophy and never regretted it. It is the study of all knowledge, and most other majors where once contained under it. I have been a dishwasher, but never waited a table in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I received a bachelor degree in Philosophy and never regretted it. It is the study of all knowledge, and most other majors where once contained under it. I have been a dishwasher, but never waited a table in my life.
    A lot of the great philosophers have been dishwashers. Why do you think they called him Plato?

Jeez the off season gets weird on this board

7. Default Re: Max Redfield

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    What's the matter? Hard for haters to hate in the off season?

-

8. Default Re: Max Redfield

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    Ghost of homer, how’s it goin?

When Homer left for the off-season the cast of The Waterboy all did, too.

Coincidence? Likely not.

Redfield appears to be doing well in the AAF so far. Looking at the defensive stats he has 5 solo tackles in the first 2 games which puts him amongst the team leaders.

His team, the Birmingham Iron, is 2 and 0 so far. They play Atlanta this Sunday at 4pm ET on The CBS Sports Network. I might tune in to that to see what it's all about.

Birmingham's QB is Luis Perez, who won the Harlon Hill award in 2017 from TAMU-Commerce.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    So then why as we begin 2019 has another league never caught on outside of the USFL’s brief run? People don’t get tired of football because we’re left wanting more. Give people a chance to get tired of it and they will. Especially football that isn’t nearly as good as the NFL product.
    One big issue is that the NFL isn't necessarily trying to stop the AAF...Their attitude towards the USFL was less than friendly to say the least...

12. Default Re: Max Redfield

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    One big issue is that the NFL isn't necessarily trying to stop the AAF...Their attitude towards the USFL was less than friendly to say the least...
    The USFL was competing for and, in some very high profile cases, signing players the NFL wanted. The AAF is looking to be a feeder system to the NFL, not a competitor.

I’ll be curious to see what the TV ratings were like this weekend. The first weekend’s were quite good. Then again so we’re the XFL’s way back when.

The USFL was competing for and, in some very high profile cases, signing players the NFL wanted. The AAF is looking to be a feeder system to the NFL, not a competitor.

I’ll be curious to see what the TV ratings were like this weekend. The first weekend’s were quite good. Then again so we’re the XFL’s way back when.
    As you said, they are not competing with the NFL. However, if it is successful and expands it could compete with the NCAA (e.g. feeder system). If you look at their business model they are looking for players who have fallen through the cracks (whatever they may be) like Redfield.. Right now they don't have college-age players but that could change.

I didn't realize the AAF is proper American football 11 on 11 played on full 100 yd (goal line to goal line) field. I thought this was another in door league. Gonna have to tune in and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPMonk View Post
    I didn't realize the AAF is proper American football 11 on 11 played on full 100 yd (goal line to goal line) field. I thought this was another in door league. Gonna have to tune in and check it out.
    It has a kind of Triple A baseball vibe to it. You have some guys on the verge of making the show and they are mixed in with the aging college stars of yesterday ... many of whom flopped in the NFL. There's some real name power in the coaching ranks.

It can't be any worse of a watch than that main event fight on ESPN last night lasting 29 seconds.

16. Default Re: Max Redfield

As you said, they are not competing with the NFL. However, if it is successful and expands it could compete with the NCAA (e.g. feeder system). If you look at their business model they are looking for players who have fallen through the cracks (whatever they may be) like Redfield.. Right now they don't have college-age players but that could change.
    Oh I would agree that if one of these upstart leagues were ever to really take off, this is the way to go. Directly competing with the NFL or marketing yourself as some weird alternative (XFL) is a suicide mission. I just don’t think the audience for ‘minor league’ football will ever be enough to keep these leagues viable for long. I think the love of NFL and major college football leads to a gross overestimation of just how many people need and want football 12 months a year (actual games, not just news coverage). I love football. But when the Super Bowl ends I have no problem letting go until well into the summer. I think there are probably 1,000 of me for every one hard core guy who will get fired up to watch Birmingham vs San Antonio in late March.

Oh I would agree that if one of these upstart leagues were ever to really take off, this is the way to go. Directly competing with the NFL or marketing yourself as some weird alternative (XFL) is a suicide mission. I just don’t think the audience for ‘minor league’ football will ever be enough to keep these leagues viable for long. I think the love of NFL and major college football leads to a gross overestimation of just how many people need and want football 12 months a year (actual games, not just news coverage). I love football. But when the Super Bowl ends I have no problem letting go until well into the summer. I think there are probably 1,000 of me for every one hard core guy who will get fired up to watch Birmingham vs San Antonio in late March.
    I get that. On the other hand people get fired up to watch AA level baseball, minor league hockey, major league soccer (MLS), and even major league lacrosse. AAF doesn't have to be as big as the NFL or NBA to be a success and have staying power. Who knows?

If the AAF is content on being a minor-league/feeder lead into the NFL it could last a while. So far the games I've seen has been ok.

All they have to do is have a good product to watch in person or on TV and turn a profit.

And a deep-pocketed NHL owner to bail you out after two weeks...

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-owner-s...111439417.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast