Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Max Redfield

Default Re: Max Redfield

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    Regarding watching football in the Spring, I beg to differ. Football fans never get tired of it. The XFL tried too hard to be different than the NFL, and I feel that was their major problem...Football fans don't need to see "He Hate Me" on the back of the jersey to enjoy football...
    So then why as we begin 2019 has another league never caught on outside of the USFL’s brief run? People don’t get tired of football because we’re left wanting more. Give people a chance to get tired of it and they will. Especially football that isn’t nearly as good as the NFL product.

Trump and others like him ruined the USFL by trying to flip franchises for NFL membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    The name won’t matter. No one wants to watch “pro” football in the spring. For the sake of Max and everybody else getting the chance to get paid to keep playing ball, I hope it sticks, but history does not bode well.
    What kind of money do guys who are not skill players make playing football in these sub-NFL leagues? To me, if a player can't get to the NFL then why bother. They are not making NFL money and they are only putting off establishing themselves in a profession outside of football that they supposedly began to prepare for by attending college. Plus, what kind of medical care and long term assistance or pensions do these teams have because after all it is football and somebody is going to get hurt and no one can play forever. Guess I'm thinking like a 60 year old and not a 22 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPMonk View Post
    What kind of money do guys who are not skill players make playing football in these sub-NFL leagues? To me, if a player can't get to the NFL then why bother. They are not making NFL money and they are only putting off establishing themselves in a profession outside of football that they supposedly began to prepare for by attending college. Plus, what kind of medical care and long term assistance or pensions do these teams have because after all it is football and somebody is going to get hurt and no one can play forever. Guess I'm thinking like a 60 year old and not a 22 year old?
    They are saying the average salary will be $75,000.

Keep in mind that's much better than a lot of these knuckleheads who didn't do a thing in college for 3-4 years at some 'football school' could make anywhere else. The job market isn't lining up to recruit 'General Studies' majors. So many players don't even graduate.

And, it keeps the dream alive. This will be a league full of Max Redfield types ... guys who were so close but got derailed by one thing or another. Who knows. Do well there and the NFL just may come calling. I see it as an open audition for undrafted free agent types (like Max). It could get a lot of them in to camps, etc.

They get to keep playing the children's game a few more years. They can work in their career like the rest of us for the rest of their lives after the dream finally dies. Some will make it.

The locations of the teams is so key. This league would be seen as bush league in big cities. But, like minor league baseball, it could flourish in B-list type places.

There have been a few notable people who have moved up - being old, Joe Theisman comes to mind. Of course, to 22 yr olds, they are always the exception. One of the hardest things I have to do is to convince 20 somethings to be honest with themselves about what's possible. We teach kids to not give up, and that they can do anything but the other side of that is being honest and (like Dirty Harry says) - a man has to know his limitations.

6. Default Re: Max Redfield

I agree with BigIndians’ thoughts. A career selling home and auto insurance for Statefarm won’t be affected by taking a shot in this league for a year or two to see if anything comes of it.

7. Default Re: Max Redfield

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Trump and others like him ruined the USFL by trying to flip franchises for NFL membership.
    Just curious----does anyone remember the USFL? That was quite a few moons ago. I believe that I was in junior high when it came on the scene. I was never an avid follower as I felt like I needed a break from football after the long NFL and NCAA seasons. But I certainly do recall some spring Sunday afternoons sitting around my grandma's living room watching Heisman winner Mike Rozier run the rock for the purple-clad Pittsburgh Maulers. This was like 1984 when people actually visited and interacted with other people on Sundays. Different time I realize. I think my dad and uncles and I would have surely died slow death over the years if not for all the sports we watched on Sundays and holidays over there. NFL games. Blue-Gray game. ABC's Wide World of Sports. You get the point.

Anyways, getting back to the USFL, I'm sure many of our young members do not recall this football league. It did have some big names to it. The aforementioned Donald Trump owned the New Jersey Generals and had the financial resources to sign such stars as Herschel Walker, Brian Sipe and Doug Flutie. I recall Burt Reynolds owning a piece of the Tampa Bay Bandits. Steve Young signed a $47 million contract to be paid out over 45 years to play for the LA Express. I think Kenny Stabler played for a time with the Memphis Showboats. Future NFL great Jim Kelly ran a prolific offense for the Houston Gamblers.

I think some of the other teams were the Oakland Invaders. New Orleans Breakers (or was it Portland first?) San Antonio Gunslingers. Washington Federals. Philadelphia Stars. Michigan Panthers. Chicago Blitz. Denver Gold. Well, you get the idea.

It was a fairly well-done league but just didn't make it. The NFL was pretty hard to compete with. Certainly the death blow of the USFL (aside from the financial struggles of many owners) came when some nuts wanted to compete directly with the NFL with a fall schedule. No chance there.

But at any rate--- it is a very interesting footnote in professional football history. Sorry to hijack the thread.

-

Default Max Redfield

So then why as we begin 2019 has another league never caught on outside of the USFL’s brief run? People don’t get tired of football because we’re left wanting more. Give people a chance to get tired of it and they will. Especially football that isn’t nearly as good as the NFL product.

The USFL was fine until Cheeto ****ed it all up.

The Philadelphia Stars were by far the best franchise and my family had season tickets for the1984 season. Those games were so much fun. The league would have been fine if it had stayed in its lane as a spring to early summer league.

I loved the USFL.

Some of my best sports cards are from the 1984 Topps USFL set. I have several graded PSA 9 and two Gem Mint 10s.

So, yeah, I still buy one card a month off Ebay. No shame. I get the roll of the eyes every month when the FedEx package arrives.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-03-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Some of my best sports cards are from the 1984 Topps USFL set. I have several graded PSA 9 and two Gem Mint 10s.

So, yeah, I still buy one card a month off Ebay. No shame. I get the roll of the eyes every month when the FedEx package arrives.
    You'd get the eye roll anyways! hahaha Might as well make it worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    You'd get the eye roll anyways! hahaha Might as well make it worth it!
    Yeah, well, on that note ... If anybody has a Mario Lemiuex rookie they'd like to part with ... hit me up. It's eluded me for a long time. Only interested in a graded one (8 or above).

Re: USFL

I got this book for Christmas. It's entertaining, to say the least. I've had a hard time putting it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    Re: USFL

I got this book for Christmas. It's entertaining, to say the least. I've had a hard time putting it down.
    Funny no one cared much about Trump's role in the USFL until he became president - there were alot of problems in the USFL beyond anything that he did, and without him, it probably would not have gotten off the ground in the first place. but hey everyone needs to make a buck. In fact, if he and the other owners would have not been hosed in their antitrust suit against the NFL, things might be very different in the NFL today - curious how the author deals with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Funny no one cared much about Trump's role in the USFL until he became president - there were alot of problems in the USFL beyond anything that he did, and without him, it probably would not have gotten off the ground in the first place. but hey everyone needs to make a buck. In fact, if he and the other owners would have not been hosed in their antitrust suit against the NFL, things might be very different in the NFL today - curious how the author deals with that.
    A couple things:

1. Trump didn't buy the Generals until their third season, which ended up being their last. An oil tycoon, J. Walter Duncan, owned them in 1984-85 and then sold to Trump in 1986. To say the USFL "probably wouldn't have gotten off the ground in the first place (without Trump)," isn't accurate.

2. There's an ESPN 30-for-30 released in 2009 that basically makes the case that Trump killed the USFL. I haven't gotten that far in the book yet to see how it's described there.

I admit that a lot of my knowledge of the USFL is informed by that 30 for 30 doc. What I'm saying was the league's longevity was compromised by owners who saw it as an investment strategy (positioning the league for merger). This is how Trump was making money in the 80s so it makes sense.

A couple things:

1. Trump didn't buy the Generals until their third season, which ended up being their last. An oil tycoon, J. Walter Duncan, owned them in 1984-85 and then sold to Trump in 1986. To say the USFL "probably wouldn't have gotten off the ground in the first place (without Trump)," isn't accurate.

2. There's an ESPN 30-for-30 released in 2009 that basically makes the case that Trump killed the USFL. I haven't gotten that far in the book yet to see how it's described there.
    Well, people really didn't care much in 2009, and certainly not in 1986 (except for the NFL owners, and their toadies at ESPN), Trump actually bought the Generals in 84, and owned them the last two seasons, Trump himself makes the claim that he kept the league afloat the last years - maybe - maybe not, but he did have a huge influence on the league for two of the three years, and his influence probably gained the league an extra year.

It is hard to claim that the league ever got off the ground, even some of the best teams had to change cities, and the league suffered significant losses before trump was involved. here is a really good even handed article - http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...fall_guy_.html

I'm not sure anything written after 2016 can be honest considering the politics -

A couple things:

Well, people really didn't care much in 2009, and certainly not in 1986 (except for the NFL owners, and their toadies at ESPN), Trump actually bought the Generals in 84, and owned them the last two seasons, Trump himself makes the claim that he kept the league afloat the last years - maybe - maybe not, but he did have a huge influence on the league for two of the three years, and his influence probably gained the league an extra year.

It is hard to claim that the league ever got off the ground, even some of the best teams had to change cities, and the league suffered significant losses before trump was involved. here is a really good even handed article - http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...fall_guy_.html

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    The USFL was fine until Cheeto ****ed it all up.

The Philadelphia Stars were by far the best franchise and my family had season tickets for the1984 season. Those games were so much fun. The league would have been fine if it had stayed in its lane as a spring to early summer league.
    Watched many of their games because of QB Fusina. They had a good RB in Bryant, and brought winning football to the city. And Jim Mora was in the playoffs, not just yelling the word. Almost forgot to mention DB Lush out of ESU.
    Last edited by Bart; 01-04-2019 at 06:59 PM.

I agree with BigIndians’ thoughts. A career selling home and auto insurance for Statefarm won’t be affected by taking a shot in this league for a year or two to see if anything comes of it.
    Except that outside of football Max has higher career aspirations than selling insurance (not that insurance is bad). Remember, he is a graduate of Notre Dame (the one in South Bend) and he studied Philosophy and Chinese language. If the football doesn't work out he would likely pursue a carrer in international business or law. If so, hopefully he would have as much success as another former IUP athlete/Chinese speaker, Leland Hardy. Leland was probably the most intellectually intense and dynamic person I've ever known. Read about him in the link below. Great pic of Leland in the ring with Muhammad Ali when he served as Ali's interpreter on Ali's tour of China in the article.

https://www.iup.edu/magazine/feature...aspx?id=126803

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast