Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WLU Recruting

Default Re: WLU Recruting

Hate to say it, but none of the recruiting is going to matter. Kellar to Glenville as HC is the rumor and you can bet Hill will go with him. All the positive changes are about to go bye-bye. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenontheHill View Post
    Hate to say it, but none of the recruiting is going to matter. Kellar to Glenville as HC is the rumor and you can bet Hill will go with him. All the positive changes are about to go bye-bye. Sad.
    You guys should have made Kellar HC when you had the chance. Huge loss if true.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    You guys should have made Kellar HC when you had the chance. Huge loss if true.
    I wouldn't say Keller leaving is anything more than an unsubstantiated rumor at this point.

If he were to leave, WLU would have no one to blame but themselves. No comparison between Keller an our current HC.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    I wouldn't say Keller leaving is anything more than an unsubstantiated rumor at this point.

If he were to leave, WLU would have no one to blame but themselves. No comparison between Keller an our current HC.

That's the thing, though. Kellar isn't a coordinator. He's a head coach -- a proven head coach. If WL doesn't give him the job soon ... somebody else is going to come calling.

That's the thing, though. Kellar isn't a coordinator. He's a head coach -- a proven head coach. If WL doesn't give him the job soon ... somebody else is going to come calling.
    That is true. But sadly, I don't have any confidence in out AD or school President to see what is obvious to anyone who pays even a modicum of attention.

This goes back to before Kellar actually signed on with WLU but a source of mine told me that WLU was talking to Kellar about coming in as the OC for one year with the express commitment that he would be elevated to HC following that. Welp...That is this coming season and I haven't heard any rumors, real or imagined, that our current HC is retiring.

That's the WLU football way...taking Russian Caviar and making fish food out of it!!!!

I note that WLU does have an assistant football coach position announced right now. Pretty generic sort of announcement although it does say that the selectee will be the Director of Football Operations as well as a position coach. No inside info here but given what apparently went on with Amedro last year, this is probably to replace him.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-01-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Same ole, same ole.

7. Default Re: WLU Recruting

Keep in mind Glenville is one of the schools that was reportedly targeted for closing or merging as part of the ongoing power struggle between the HEPC, WVU (Gordon Gee) and the state legislature.

Interesting that Smith - who coached at Glenville for 8 years, the last 2 as head coach - was quoted in the school's release saying he left to pursue other opportunities outside of coaching but planned to stay in Glenville.

I'm sure Glenville's a great place to live but it's hard to believe he can leave a D2 head coaching job and find a better-paying job in the middle of one of the most economically-depressed states in the nation. What changed two weeks before the start of spring practice?

Rich Rodriguez can tell you what it's like to be a head coach and have the school pull your team right out from under you with no warning. That happened to Rich at Salem - and Smith coached with Rich at WVU and Michigan before landing at Glenville.

This may not be the slam dunk decision it appears to be.

8. Default Re: WLU Recruting

New poster, long time reader.

There's no comparison between our HC and 12 year old who plays Madden. What kind of dirt does he have on people in charge at West Lib?

Quote Originally Posted by Topper912 View Post
    New poster, long time reader.

There's no comparison between our HC and 12 year old who plays Madden. What kind of dirt does he have on people in charge at West Lib?
    One of two things...either the HC has a mountain of dirt on the Prez OR the Prez really doesn't care about football.

One of two things...either the HC has a mountain of dirt on the Prez OR the Prez really doesn't care about football.
    Seems the latter. Hard to explain 36 scholarships and being awful.

That seems to sum it up!

Many things are head scratching about WLU football!!!!

You look at what WLU is doing for other sports (starting new programs, building and upgrading facilities, etc) and how those sports are responding and it seems like the Prez is pro athletics. But he just seems unwilling to take any action to get the football team to produce up to the level of commitment they have made. Its like buying a Caddilac, getting a flat tire on the way home and leaving it sit in the driveway for two years because you dont want to deal with the hassle of changing a tire!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-03-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Three late additions:

Kenny Watson, Centenial HS FL
    Shane Hercules, John Marshall HS WV
    Jordan Wood, John Marshall HS WV

Wood is a QB out of John Marshall...huuuummm...
    Great kid but not exactly what they need. I’m glad Hercules is coming

I'm just happy with them finally addressing the QB position. You'd think with the importance WLU puts on having a quality QB for success, they would bring in at least two every season!! Wood makes two Freshmen and a transfer Sophomore with this years class to go along with the three (One Senior and two Sophomores) on the roster from last year. Given that we've gone through extended periods over the last seven years were we've had only two QB's on the roster, six is certainly a crowded house!

I wouldn't sleep on Watson. DB's who can run, cover and hit are hard to come by and Watson does all three.

Lot's of competition in the WLU defensive backfield. Not saying Watson is immediately at the top of the heap but he will be in the mix for playing time.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-04-2019 at 08:02 AM.

15. Default Re: WLU Recruting

It is pretty clear that Gary West and his relationship with the HC is what calls the shots with football.
    Clearly no one in the Athletic Department or the Presidents office want to go against West and do what’s best for WL at this point and make Kellar the HC. No doubt they are going to lose Kellar and that is a shame.

Does the QB from Cal have to sit out? I like the other freshman they got too

It is pretty clear that Gary West and his relationship with the HC is what calls the shots with football.
    Clearly no one in the Athletic Department or the Presidents office want to go against West and do what’s best for WL at this point and make Kellar the HC. No doubt they are going to lose Kellar and that is a shame.
    That could be it. Hard to believe that a successful businessman like Gary West would turn such a blind eye to the consistent failure of the person that is spending a large chunk of his considerable donations. Can't imagine that he would stand for one of his vice presidents responsible for a large part of his business posting staggering losses year after year after year. Yet, that is kind of what he is doing here. Kind of makes you wonder what excuses Wailahae gives to West every year for the last eight years that convinces West that he is doing a good job and needs to keep doing it.

If West LOVES him some Wailahae, give him a job as a Vice president of some sort and let WLU move on with a HC that has a better chance of winning. The way things are right now aren't doing the University, the West family name or Wailahae any good.

My prediction...Kellar will leave for a HC job before next season (Perhaps Glenville which he will immediately turn into a MEC contender), Wailahae will retire after next season and his hand picked successor will be long time DC Monteroso.

18. Default Re: WLU Recruting

Well, it came to pass. I was at the MEC tourney in Wheeling this weekend and saw some buddies who still have some connections for info who said that the rumor mill has it that Kellar is leaving WLU to be new HC at GLENVILLE. They hadn’t heard if anyone was going with him. Nothing on the Glenville website yet so it may just be rumor.
    If this is correct, it is an absolute shame. I guess you guys have been correct all along. I guess that we should just take the “Liberty” out of the school name and call it “West University”.

Well, it came to pass. I was at the MEC tourney in Wheeling this weekend and saw some buddies who still have some connections for info who said that the rumor mill has it that Kellar is leaving WLU to be new HC at GLENVILLE. They hadn’t heard if anyone was going with him. Nothing on the Glenville website yet so it may just be rumor.
    If this is correct, it is an absolute shame. I guess you guys have been correct all along. I guess that we should just take the “Liberty” out of the school name and call it “West University”.
    If it happens, they will get what they deserve. By almost any metric you chose to use, Kellar is clearly a better head coach. If he does go to Glenville, they will be competing for the MEC title and the NCAA playoffs in two years. Only thing WLU could hope for is that he struck gold in his one season recruiting for the Toppers.

How about West Boat University ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast