Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pac 12 looking to Private Equity to close the $$$ gap

Default Pac 12 looking to Private Equity to close the $$$ gap

Link to story

If it wasn't blatantly obvious before (and it was really), here is proof positive of what's it's all about.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Default Re: Pac 12 looking to Private Equity to close the $$$ gap

Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    Link to story

If it wasn't blatantly obvious before (and it was really), here is proof positive of what's it's all about.
    This is bound to work..... The comments with the story are fun to read.

Here comes another conference realignment sooner rather than later.

There's the B1G, the SEC, and everyone else.

The B1G will go after Texas and OU, and parlay that into a $75 million-per-school split. The Big 12 will be left with inviting UNM and North Texas, possibly SMU and Houston, and have a payout of around $15-20 million per school. There will be no heavy hitters remaining in the Big 12.

The B1G and SEC will then form an alliance, withdraw from the NCAA, and have their own championships and rules. Everyone else will do their own deal.

Wouldn’t they be better off making a deal with Direct TV than selling a portion of the conference

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    There's the B1G, the SEC, and everyone else.

The B1G will go after Texas and OU, and parlay that into a $75 million-per-school split. The Big 12 will be left with inviting UNM and North Texas, possibly SMU and Houston, and have a payout of around $15-20 million per school. There will be no heavy hitters remaining in the Big 12.

The B1G and SEC will then form an alliance, withdraw from the NCAA, and have their own championships and rules. Everyone else will do their own deal.
    I don't think the state will let UT abandon all the other schools, and I don't think Oklahoma will let OU abandon OSU.

I think the Big 12 has to find a way to get better or continue drifting into irrelevance.

Quote Originally Posted by twolfbenchwarmer View Post
    Wouldn’t they be better off making a deal with Direct TV than selling a portion of the conference
    Except Direct TV is losing subscribers just like the traditional cable companies. And their streaming services is having a hard time gaining traction against the established players. And the it looks like from The Oregonian article, the Direct TV deal is not a done deal, so if you throw in what is noted in the below article, a significant portion of their future revenue stream might be in question.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/24/att-...s-q3-2018.html

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    I don't think the state will let UT abandon all the other schools, and I don't think Oklahoma will let OU abandon OSU.

I think the Big 12 has to find a way to get better or continue drifting into irrelevance.

This isn't the 90's when a Baylor alum Governor or Lt Governor (also a Tech Alum) were in office. They pulled a lot of strings back then to help formulate the Big 12 when A&M and UT didn't want Baylor. Since A&M is out of the equation and shouldn't have any say what so ever about which direction UT goes, UT can pretty much call it's own shots without fear of legislative repercussions. Unless they decide to stick their noses in it and mark my words, A&M will rue the day if they do so. Especially when the man who has the pen to veto or approve legislation is a UT alum.

To do what? DirecTV is a transmittor of content, not a producer.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post

Maybe the state of Texas will then start subsidizing the Big 12 members’ athletic budgets to make up for the ever-widening disparity? I don’t think state legislatures are going to be getting involved in picking winners and losers in the conference realignment game.

To transmit the content produced on the PAC 12 network

11. Default Re: Pac 12 looking to Private Equity to close the $$$ gap

I hope this happens, is super successful and other conferences emulate it. I’ve been called a homer already, but just wait if I can ever own part of the conference.

To transmit the content produced on the PAC 12 network
    Who is the producer ?

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    This isn't the 90's when a Baylor alum Governor or Lt Governor (also a Tech Alum) were in office. They pulled a lot of strings back then to help formulate the Big 12 when A&M and UT didn't want Baylor. Since A&M is out of the equation and shouldn't have any say what so ever about which direction UT goes, UT can pretty much call it's own shots without fear of legislative repercussions. Unless they decide to stick their noses in it and mark my words, A&M will rue the day if they do so. Especially when the man who has the pen to veto or approve legislation is a UT alum.
    Alas, sigh tu is forever stuck in the BigXII by their own doing. Hello!!! Longhorn Network boys!!! No other conference in the country would put up with the $h!t they regularly serve up to other members.

But, who knows what back room back door deals can be pulled off! Never say Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Alas, sigh tu is forever stuck in the BigXII by their own doing. Hello!!! Longhorn Network boys!!! No other conference in the country would put up with the $h!t they regularly serve up to other members.

But, who knows what back room back door deals can be pulled off! Never say Never.
    The LHN is a short-term deal. It has been a colossal failure and there is no way ESPN will renew it.

The LHN is a short-term deal. It has been a colossal failure and there is no way ESPN will renew it.
    The LHN is a symptom of a bigger issue. UT has historically not played well with conference mates in terms of revenue distribution and decision making power. Techster is spot on. No other conference will agree to the Horns demands. But all things change....as you point out, the LHN will go away and the AD who bullied the rest of the B12 is long gone, so there’s hope for the future.

16. Default Re: Pac 12 looking to Private Equity to close the $$$ gap

Seriously Herb?

Who owns DirecTV?

Does that parent company own any content producing companies?

Think it through slowly. Ask a friend to explain it to you if need be.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    The LHN is a symptom of a bigger issue. UT has historically not played well with conference mates in terms of revenue distribution and decision making power. Techsters is spot on. No other conference will agree to the Horns demands. But all things change....as you point out, the LHN will go away and the AD who bullied the rest of the B12 is long gone, so there’s hope for the future.
    Well, since I am the only TU or Longhorn defender on here, I'll give it a try.

In UT's defense, do any of you think if ESPN had gone to A&M, OU or any other school with it's own network, they wouldn't have jumped at it? Really you all need to think about that before you answer it because the answer is they would take the money and run in heartbeat. The "woe is us" I hear from Aggie fans and UT haters is laughable to say the least. And I think it's funny how people take shots at Texas and their demands when they are one of the biggest revenue drivers in college sports, so they should have a little bit more of a say so vs a firkin KU or Baylor. You all sound like a bunch whinny Liberal Nancy Pelosi Democrats asking for the big bad wolf to pay more or bend over more because he makes more. Lenin and Castro would be proud of some of you.

I agree Deloss Dodds was a prick and I'm glad he's gone. In his place is now a big picture kind of guy in Chris Del Conte and he's done a good balancing act of trying to pacify the blue blood money people like Red McComb who by life expectancy will not be in their positions of influence at the university for too much longer. And he trying and succeeding at getting new money and broader support system in place and UT folks have responded. The gameday atmosphere is night and day compared to pre DelConte for example. I will say this with full confidence that if there is one person among Big 12 AD's right now that is looking way down the road about the future of the Big 12, it's Del Conte. And judging from what I've heard from some people in the know, if it involves a reproach to the LHN among other things, it will be on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    Well, since I am the only TU or Longhorn defender on here, I'll give it a try.

In UT's defense, do any of you think if ESPN had gone to A&M, OU or any other school with it's own network, they wouldn't have jumped at it? Really you all need to think about that before you answer it because the answer is they would take the money and run in heartbeat. The "woe is us" I hear from Aggie fans and UT haters is laughable to say the least. And I think it's funny how people take shots at Texas and their demands when they are one of the biggest revenue drivers in college sports, so they should have a little bit more of a say so vs a firkin KU or Baylor. You all sound like a bunch whinny Liberal Nancy Pelosi Democrats asking for the big bad wolf to pay more or bend over more because he makes more. Lenin and Castro would be proud of some of you.

I agree Deloss Dodds was a prick and I'm glad he's gone. In his place is now a big picture kind of guy in Chris Del Conte and he's done a good balancing act of trying to pacify the blue blood money people like Red McComb who by life expectancy will not be in their positions of influence at the university for too much longer. And he trying and succeeding at getting new money and broader support system in place and UT folks have responded. The gameday atmosphere is night and day compared to pre DelConte for example. I will say this with full confidence that if there is one person among Big 12 AD's right now that is looking way down the road about the future of the Big 12, it's Del Conte. And judging from what I've heard from some people in the know, if it involves a reproach to the LHN among other things, it will be on the table.
    You missed the point entirely. tu greed and unwillingness to share is why the BigXII is now the MediumX. Somehow I don’t see TCU and WVU carrying the same weight as Nebraska, Mizzou, A&M, & Colorado. This is why the BigXII is not in a position of power and has no chance of catching up all because tu couldn’t see the forest because the trees kept getting in their way. The bigger payday was down the road. Here’s one for you THERE IS SAFETY IN NUMBERS.

Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    Seriously Herb?

Who owns DirecTV?

Does that parent company own any content producing companies?

Think it through slowly. Ask a friend to explain it to you if need be.
    I feel dumber having to even post this, but...

The PAC already tried, and failed, to negotiate its own private network with Directv. It’s called the PAC 12 network. And it’s revenues per year per school are about $1.5 million. About enough to fund 15 percent of a middling D2 athletics program.

Obviously if there was end-user (and advertiser) demand for PAC 12 content, the numbers would be much higher. It has been a flop.

You can read much more here:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Some-ADs-grumble-about-Pac-12-Networks-10910339.php

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 01-01-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    You missed the point entirely. tu greed and unwillingness to share is why the BigXII is now the MediumX. Somehow I don’t see TCU and WVU carrying the same weight as Nebraska, Mizzou, A&M, & Colorado. This is why the BigXII is not in a position of power and has no chance of catching up all because tu couldn’t see the forest because the trees kept getting in their way. The bigger payday was down the road. Here’s one for you THERE IS SAFETY IN NUMBERS.
    Exactly. The B12 Brand has been damaged by the loss of the schools who have moved to greener pastures. TAMU might have done the same thing given the opportunity, but that’s beside the point. The point is conferences in which the lowliest members have a seat at the decision making/revenue sharing table are in a better position to negotiate future media contracts than the B12. The SEC picked up two revenue enhancers from the B12 precisely because Alabama doesn’t abuse its power at the expense of Ole Miss or Vandy. The Tide understands the concept of united we stand, divided we fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast