Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerwin Bell

Default Kerwin Bell

Now the dreaded off-season when great D-2 coaches get plucked away from their schools. I am seeing some smoke from USF as Charlie Strong may be eyeing Kerwin Bell as his OC. I have also seen a rumbling about Houston looking at him as head coach. I hope and think there is little substance to either rumor but the more dominos that fall, the more open landing spots there are for a coach Like KB. I think we may need to throw a little raise at him to try to keep him happy but it is hard to compete with Division 1 money. If I were the AD, i would be looking for my next coach just in case and maybe an entire coaching staff unfortunately.

Default Re: Kerwin Bell

Quote Originally Posted by deanmachine View Post
    Now the dreaded off-season when great D-2 coaches get plucked away from their schools. I am seeing some smoke from USF as Charlie Strong may be eyeing Kerwin Bell as his OC. I have also seen a rumbling about Houston looking at him as head coach. I hope and think there is little substance to either rumor but the more dominos that fall, the more open landing spots there are for a coach Like KB. I think we may need to throw a little raise at him to try to keep him happy but it is hard to compete with Division 1 money. If I were the AD, i would be looking for my next coach just in case and maybe an entire coaching staff unfortunately.
    The price of winning a NC and the nature of football these days.

What players need to understand is that they play for a school and the tradition a team has had through many different coaches. Our early teams in the 80's and 90's laid the foundation for what we have today. We expect our players to continue the tradition. A coach's name is not on the front of your jersey.

Until something is official, though, all we have are rumors.
    Last edited by BlazerLady; 12-31-2018 at 11:28 AM.

#BlazerNation

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerLady View Post

What players need to understand is that they play for a school and the tradition a team has had through many different coaches. Our early teams in the 80's and 90's laid the foundation for what we have today. We expect our players to continue the tradition. A coach's name is not on the front of your jersey.

Well said

4. Default Re: Kerwin Bell

If he leaves VSU OL coach needs to be the next head coach. Then, hire the coach's son as the OC.

Quote Originally Posted by deanmachine View Post
    Houston sounds like a great fit, for Kerwin

It's my perception that this mindset is the minority thought process of today's student-athletes.

I agree they need to understand that but unfortunately they don’t because the people that go to their houses and meet their parents are the coaches.

This reporter was lobbying hard for Coach Bell to be interviewed by McNeese earlier this month.

A vote for McNeese to ring the bell with Kerwin Bell (Lake Charles American Press)

Doesn't surprise me about the USF OC rumor. He interviewed with Muschamp for the Gators OC job in 2011.

JU’s Kerwin Bell says he interviewed with Will Muschamp for Florida offensive coordinator job (Florida Times-Union)

he has worked a little bit with Charlie Strong before and USF has an open O-line coaching spot as well. We could lose him and Darveau if he went that route. I would be okay with darveau as head coach and Younger KB as offensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazernerd04 View Post
    If he leaves VSU OL coach needs to be the next head coach. Then, hire the coach's son as the OC.
    If he went to USF I bet he'd take VSU's o-line coach with him (the USF o-line coach left with the OC). Darveau is also the recruiting co-ordinator for VSU (and does a heckova job at it).

One things for sure - Kerwin Bell can recruit Florida. Every recruits parents and grandparents know his name (I believe we have 9 kids on our roster with roots in Miami, including our top two RB's).

Charlie Strong could do a lot worse.
    Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 12-31-2018 at 08:19 PM.

With all due respect, and there is NO doubt I am a BIG BL fan, players play for coaches at the school where that coach of influence is currently employed.
    There are exceptions of course, but one must wonder if Wells would have been QB if not for the Bell/Jacksonville connection.

12. Default Re: Kerwin Bell

Just curious as to how many midyear transfers he signed this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Larold View Post
    There are exceptions of course, but one must wonder if Wells would have been QB if not for the Bell/Jacksonville connection.
    We had a coach with strong S Carolina connections prior to Dean leaving and Bell arriving.
    Wells was being actively recruited before Bell showed up.
    I believe Wells would have been here regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post
    We had a coach with strong S Carolina connections prior to Dean leaving and Bell arriving.
    Wells was being actively recruited before Bell showed up.
    I believe Wells would have been here regardless.
    Thanks!

15. Default Re: Kerwin Bell

It appears another former Blazer coach headed to Houston not Bell. Holgorson leaving West Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post
    If he went to USF I bet he'd take VSU's o-line coach with him (the USF o-line coach left with the OC). Darveau is also the recruiting co-ordinator for VSU (and does a heckova job at it). .

I would be surprised if Bell returns next year. I think Jeremy Darveau will be picked up too. They are just too good and that is cycle of good coaches.

17. Default Re: Kerwin Bell

Quote Originally Posted by baldereagle View Post
    Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by RealisticBlazer View Post
    It appears another former Blazer coach headed to Houston not Bell. Holgorson leaving West Virginia
    Haha.....just saw that.

https://www.si.com/college-football/..._medium=social

Holgorsen got his masters degree at VSU while working as a G.A. in the 90's

#BlazerNation

19. Default Re: Kerwin Bell

I looked on the VSU web page and didn't see any but there could have been some not released yet. I was curious because if he didn't sign any he may have planned on leaving for a while.

I looked on the VSU web page and didn't see any but there could have been some not released yet. I was curious because if he didn't sign any he may have planned on leaving for a while.
    I’m not sure we’ve ever announced them. I think they list them on national signing day, but don’t think have prior (even back to the Dean days).

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast