Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Kerwin Bell

Default Re: Kerwin Bell

Quote Originally Posted by vsuman View Post
    Just curious as to who he beat out. Seems like it took awhile for this hire. Wonder if the others dropped out. I’m sure he’s a good coach and only time will tell. But it seems like a mediocre record for a top national program. Just my initial thoughts. Hope he proves me wrong.
    I totally agree and this leave a big question for me. The team so young and talented so when Bell kids are gone then we will see what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollodex View Post
    I totally agree and this leave a big question for me. The team so young and talented so when Bell kids are gone then we will see what we got.
    They could be the gift that keeps on giving, though.

I feel that even I, a nobody, could go down to VSU and win big right away. Kids will see them continue to win and keep coming.

Any news of Bell-recruited players or his recent HS/transfer recruits looking elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Right View Post

B.L is proud of you. You paid attention !!
    LOL, I had to check. I was afraid we'd get another guy looking to use our legacy to advance his career over night.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post
    Bobby Wallace is in the Hall of Fame. By all accounts a great coach.

Prior to the 3 NC's his record was 15-27-1. He won 35% of his games. Not too impressive.

Then came '93, '94 and '95 and a 41-1 record during those 3 years.

Without his 3 year run of consecutive championships in the 90's he won 46% of his games during his 27 year HC career (and with it he only won 52.8).

Even with his 3 championship years in the '90's his winning percentage in his last stay at UNA was higher than his winning percentage back then (latest stay 74% vs 69% "back in the day").

Stats are interesting for conversation, but they aren't always the end all/be all.

In spite of all the challenges we've had with recruiting time because of the playoffs and the coaching change I have to believe these young recruits like playing for championships. Hope we can swing at least a reasonable signing class Feb 6 and fill a couple of other needs via JC transfers.

Add that with what we have back and it could lay the foundation for a fun run the next few years.
    Agreed 100%

Just curious as to who he beat out. Seems like it took awhile for this hire. Wonder if the others dropped out. I’m sure he’s a good coach and only time will tell. But it seems like a mediocre record for a top national program. Just my initial thoughts. Hope he proves me wrong.
    Could it be that there were so many choices that it took that long to vet them properly?

Bobby Wallace is in the Hall of Fame. By all accounts a great coach.

Prior to the 3 NC's his record was 15-27-1. He won 35% of his games. Not too impressive.

Then came '93, '94 and '95 and a 41-1 record during those 3 years.

Without his 3 year run of consecutive championships in the 90's he won 46% of his games during his 27 year HC career (and with it he only won 52.8).

Even with his 3 championship years in the '90's his winning percentage in his last stay at UNA was higher than his winning percentage back then (latest stay 74% vs 69% "back in the day").

Stats are interesting for conversation, but they aren't always the end all/be all.

In spite of all the challenges we've had with recruiting time because of the playoffs and the coaching change I have to believe these young recruits like playing for championships. Hope we can swing at least a reasonable signing class Feb 6 and fill a couple of other needs via JC transfers.

Add that with what we have back and it could lay the foundation for a fun run the next few years.
    GOSH Without his 15-27 record PRIOR to his 41-1 record his winning percentage would be MUCH HIGHER.
    IF my Aunt Mary had gonads, she would be my Uncle Cecil.

Quote Originally Posted by Larold View Post
    GOSH Without his 15-27 record PRIOR to his 41-1 record his winning percentage would be MUCH HIGHER.
    IF my Aunt Mary had gonads, she would be my Uncle Cecil.
    And if Aunt Mary had a 52.8 winning percentage she could be a Hall of Fame coach (regardless of her gonads).

Again, for those with shallow reading comprehension, the point was that stats don't always tell the whole story.

And if Aunt Mary had a 52.8 winning percentage she could be a Hall of Fame coach (regardless of her gonads).

Again, for those with shallow reading comprehension, the point was that stats don't always tell the whole story.
    OH, YES. I've always stayed in the shallow end.
    My point for those blessed with a tremendous grasp for the obvious,is, "percentages(statistics) DON'T matter". As so well stated by you while dragging Bobby Wallace through
    the "Yeah, he's good," and by pointing out a portion of his long Hall of Fame career that wasn't Hall of Fame-ish to some how justify your new coach( which wasn't needed
    since he is obviously a winner and as well said by you stats don't always tell the whole story) just made me scratch my head.

Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    Could it be that there were so many choices that it took that long to vet them properly?
    No doubt that is true, however, I’m willing to bet money that this wasn’t his first choice. But whatever the case I’m pulling for the blazers and coaching staff all the way.

No doubt that is true, however, I’m willing to bet money that this wasn’t his first choice. But whatever the case I’m pulling for the blazers and coaching staff all the way.
    Curious as to why you feel that way..

Just the vibe i was getting from those in the know. Anyway time to kill this thread and on to the Gary Goff era

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011