Thread: UNC Pembroke to GSC?

Contribute to D2

Default UNC Pembroke to GSC?

Anyone know why the gsc would not offer uncp an invite or why they wouldn’t accept or both? I see they are the only independent left. The gsc should get uncp and merge with the SAC and make one big 18 team conference. Okay maybe that’s too many. Why not uncp, Carson Newman and Tusculum and that would make it 12. Just curious what everyone else’s thoughts are on this.

Default Re: UNC Pembroke to GSC?

I think getting to 10 football schools in the GSC would make the most sense. You would have 9 conference games and 2 out of conference games. I know that didn’t answer your questions, but it’s somewhat related.

3. Default Re: UNC Pembroke to GSC?

Quote Originally Posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
    Yes, I believe I read something about that in the MEC forum or CIAA forum.

Surprised they didn’t join the SAC being in NC

Quote Originally Posted by UWARTime View Post
    Surprised they didn’t join the SAC being in NC
    It sounds like UNCP wasn't too thrilled with Limestone being offered associate membership by the SAC instead of the existing scheduling alliance and remaining an Independent. But, the move to the MEC is a bit of an odd one.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Here are the last two paragraphs from the UNCP release about the MEC associate membership. It might explain why they didn't try for the GSC. http://www.uncpbraves.com/news/2018/...onference.aspx

UNC Pembroke has a history of competition against MEC teams. The football team has competed an astounding 19 times all-time against MEC opponents, while the wrestling team has faced MEC competition 16 times. The football team has played at least one MEC team in nine of the last 11 years, while the wrestling team's rivalry with West Liberty dates back to the 1994 season. The Black & Gold will face Concord, a charter member of the MEC, at Grace P. Johnson Stadium on October 20 to culminate 2018 Homecoming Week in Pembroke.

"Despite being in Super Region 1 for football, four MEC programs are closer geographically to Pembroke than the closest full-time member of the Gulf South Conference here in Super Region 2," said UNCP director of athletics Dick Christy. "We are so appreciative to the South Atlantic Conference for their scheduling partnership these past few years. Our dedication to a championship experience for all student-athletes is at the forefront of our mission, and the necessity of a conference home for these five sports is paramount to the success of that mission."