Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71

Thread: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    They didn’t get blown out by Purdue. That’s all the explanation needed.
    So, you believe that ND could’ve gone through the Big 10 schedule without losing ? Which means you believe ND would’ve won the Big 10 title.

    Btw, ACU W basketball didn’t represent very well yesterday in that embarrassing blowout loss in Lubbock. Heck, kudos to the Lady Raiders dropping a 100+ on ACU.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Abilene
    Posts
    18,555
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    I believe Georgia was a better team than either Notre Dame or tOSU and that neither would have finished near the top of the SEC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    So, you believe that ND could’ve gone through the Big 10 schedule without losing ? Which means you believe ND would’ve won the Big 10 title.

    Btw, ACU W basketball didn’t represent very well yesterday in that embarrassing blowout loss in Lubbock. Heck, kudos to the Lady Raiders dropping a 100+ on ACU.
    Last edited by catatonic; 12-30-2018 at 02:33 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,257
    Rep Power
    510053

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    So, you believe that ND could’ve gone through the Big 10 schedule without losing ? Which means you believe ND would’ve won the Big 10 title.

    Btw, ACU W basketball didn’t represent very well yesterday in that embarrassing blowout loss in Lubbock. Heck, kudos to the Lady Raiders dropping a 100+ on ACU.
    I recorded it. When I got around to watching, it was so ugly so quick, I just deleted it.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I recorded it. When I got around to watching, it was so ugly so quick, I just deleted it.
    Tbh, I don’t watch much of any basketball. It just happened to be on at the Italian restaurant we were at yesterday. Looked like a HS team playing a freshman team.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,915
    Rep Power
    53808

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    So, you think ND deserved the invite over Ohio State? If so, please explain.

    Also, when is the last time they won a major bowl? Yes, glory years are killing the present and future.
    ALL BOWL GAMES ARE A JOKE to me. They are 100% about $$ & ego. Nothing more.

    You contradict yourself....which is ok by me. First you said the bowls are about big $, then you complain about which teams go. Whichever team brings rhe $$ and attention should go.......since that is the purpose. Right??

    It doesn't matter to me. I think ALL Bowl games are jokes...and meaningless. They can be entertaining to watch. AND it sure beats watching baskieball any day. But meaningless just the same.

    I think all college "National Championship" tournys are a joke also. Its like watching Friday Night Tykes brag about State & National championships. LMAO. Just useless.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    ALL BOWL GAMES ARE A JOKE to me. They are 100% about $$ & ego. Nothing more.

    You contradict yourself....which is ok by me. First you said the bowls are about big $, then you complain about which teams go. Whichever team brings rhe $$ and attention should go.......since that is the purpose. Right??

    It doesn't matter to me. I think ALL Bowl games are jokes...and meaningless. They can be entertaining to watch. AND it sure beats watching baskieball any day. But meaningless just the same.

    I think all college "National Championship" tournys are a joke also. Its like watching Friday Night Tykes brag about State & National championships. LMAO. Just useless.
    You are correct Bowl games are whoever you want to pad the bottom line.

    But, when you are call it the playoffs that takes on a whole other meaning. Your saying we are taking the best 4 teams in the country and having them compete for a NC. The joke comes in when you put a team in that has ZERO chance of even staying on the field with the competition.


    The reason I brought up the past ND Bowls was to show you they haven’t been relevant in decades. Kinda like our Cowboys haven’t been relevant since the mid nineties.

    IMHO, I believe the NCAA should restructure the P5 to 4 conferences and have the top 2 from each conference play for the championship. Almost to simple. If they want to stay with 5, then Conference Champions only with a first round bye for highest ranked Conference champion. Takes all the guesswork and politics out of the process.
    Last edited by Techster88; 12-30-2018 at 08:38 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,204
    Rep Power
    163468

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...223723625.html


    I think Techster is spot on. The above column kind of backs up what many think about the special treatment ND gets. The money quote from it is this.....

    Notre Dame v. Clemson in the 2018 national semifinal game played out exactly as Notre Dame vs. Alabama in the 2012 BCS title game. Bama rolled the Irish in that one, 42-14.

    Notre Dame is simply not Notre Dame, and only a collection of aging fans, ratings-horny executives and brand-delusional fans believe that.
    And it should be added the bulk of the playoff committee is part of the old guard from the day which is another reason they get the love.

    Truth is if BYU, who is another independent managed to pull off a 12-0 record which included a couple of wins over top 25 teams, they would not get the love ND gets despite having a sizable fan base and Ohio State or Georgia probably would of been given the nod. Albeit BYU's fan base is not as big as ND's, but still one that is bigger than UCF's for example who was given minor consideration again this time around.
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 12-31-2018 at 08:38 AM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,204
    Rep Power
    163468

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    ALL BOWL GAMES ARE A JOKE to me. They are 100% about $$ & ego. Nothing more.

    You contradict yourself....which is ok by me. First you said the bowls are about big $, then you complain about which teams go. Whichever team brings rhe $$ and attention should go.......since that is the purpose. Right??

    It doesn't matter to me. I think ALL Bowl games are jokes...and meaningless. They can be entertaining to watch. AND it sure beats watching baskieball any day. But meaningless just the same.

    I think all college "National Championship" tournys are a joke also. Its like watching Friday Night Tykes brag about State & National championships. LMAO. Just useless.


    I get this part, but you can at least leave baseball out of it because they don't let one game in their tourney determine if you stay in or told to get out. I wish all other team title tourneys could be structured like NCAA baseball.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,204
    Rep Power
    163468

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    30-3 is pretty bad. However Notre Dame is a safe bet for attendance since they have fans in every city, with plenty more watching from home. Plus those that dislike Notre Dame will watch to see them lose.
    I think they sold out the Alamodome in record time a few years ago when they played Army in San Antonio. To their credit, they have an international fan base which is only rivaled by the NY Yankees and the maybe the Cowboys. I think a number of people from Mexico came up to see that game?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,915
    Rep Power
    53808

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    I think they sold out the Alamodome in record time a few years ago when they played Army in San Antonio. To their credit, they have an international fan base which is only rivaled by the NY Yankees and the maybe the Cowboys. I think a number of people from Mexico came up to see that game?
    The late Joe Avezzano told me one day:

    "Once you pass HS JV, it starts becoming all about the money. It's no longer about the sport or the love of the sport...it becomes entertainment, ego, and the almighty dollar."

    A few days later, we were doing a youth football clinic in Plano and Joe called me over. Huge smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. Joe said: "Hey Pech. I love this right here. This is real football. This is what its supposed to be about".

    I will never forget that moment as long as I live.
    Last edited by ASUPops; 12-31-2018 at 04:19 PM.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,797
    Rep Power
    415117

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...223723625.html


    I think Techster is spot on. The above column kind of backs up what many think about the special treatment ND gets. The money quote from it is this.....



    And it should be added the bulk of the playoff committee is part of the old guard from the day which is another reason they get the love.

    Truth is if BYU, who is another independent managed to pull off a 12-0 record which included a couple of wins over top 25 teams, they would not get the love ND gets despite having a sizable fan base and Ohio State or Georgia probably would of been given the nod. Albeit BYU's fan base is not as big as ND's, but still one that is bigger than UCF's for example who was given minor consideration again this time around.
    And UCF handled auburn last year. Looking forward to the LSU - UCF game this year. If UCF wins with their backup QB does that boost them for the future? I still think FBS needs 8 teams to be legit. 15 years ago it was BYU, 10 years ago it was Baylor and TCU, 6 or 7 years ago it was Boise State, now it is UCF that deserve a shot at the blue bloods. Probably they dont win, but 12-0 deserves a shot at that level.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,074
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    The late Joe Avezzano told me one day:

    "Once you pass HS JV, it starts becoming all about the money. It's no longer about the sport or the love of the sport...it becomes entertainment, ego, and the almighty dollar."

    A few days later, we were doing a youth football clinic in Plano and Joe called me over. Huge smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. Joe said: "Hey Pech. I love this right here. This is real football. This is what its supposed to be about".

    I will never forget that moment as long as I live.
    This is one of the reasons I enjoy watching D2 football. The kids are playing for the love of the game.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,375
    Rep Power
    177110

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    And UCF handled auburn last year. Looking forward to the LSU - UCF game this year. If UCF wins with their backup QB does that boost them for the future? I still think FBS needs 8 teams to be legit. 15 years ago it was BYU, 10 years ago it was Baylor and TCU, 6 or 7 years ago it was Boise State, now it is UCF that deserve a shot at the blue bloods. Probably they dont win, but 12-0 deserves a shot at that level.
    UCF starting to get rolled pretty good against a 3 loss LSU team who is now down their top 5 guys in the secondary after 2 are ejected for targeting. Wonder what the most targeting ejections in a game is, up to 3 in this one.

    Nice drive by UCF to end the half down just 3. Beyond that drive they've done nothing on offense, looked like Pueblo out there.
    Last edited by Turbonium; 01-01-2019 at 01:56 PM.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,204
    Rep Power
    163468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    The late Joe Avezzano told me one day:

    "Once you pass HS JV, it starts becoming all about the money. It's no longer about the sport or the love of the sport...it becomes entertainment, ego, and the almighty dollar."

    A few days later, we were doing a youth football clinic in Plano and Joe called me over. Huge smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. Joe said: "Hey Pech. I love this right here. This is real football. This is what its supposed to be about".

    I will never forget that moment as long as I live.

    Joe was a great guy. They don’t make NFL Assistant Coaches like him anymore.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,915
    Rep Power
    53808

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    Joe was a great guy. They don’t make NFL Assistant Coaches like him anymore.
    +100

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,204
    Rep Power
    163468

    Default

    How about those Horns taking it to the second best team in the best football conference ever created by man?

    SEC baby!!!

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    45,565
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    How about those Horns taking it to the second best team in the best football conference ever created by man?

    SEC baby!!!
    I don't want to hear another word about how Georgia deserved to be in the playoff. They got beat up last night- that game didn't feel as close as the score since the Bulldogs scored late.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,375
    Rep Power
    177110

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I don't want to hear another word about how Georgia deserved to be in the playoff. They got beat up last night- that game didn't feel as close as the score since the Bulldogs scored late.
    They didn't seem as if they even wanted to be there.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas, United States
    Posts
    943
    Rep Power
    15646

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    The Cotton Bowl was pretty fun. Notre Dame fans are some of the most arrogant people I have ever met. The Notre Dame fans had an excuse for every play. Clemson fans were fun. They didn't act like they were better than anyone else. As far as a cotton bowl it was one of the better game day environments that I have been to. Been to around 20 Cotton Bowls now and this was one of my favorites because I got a front row seat to watching Notre Dame get demolished. Not exactly front row but we had pretty good seats.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Why is Notre Dame in Playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    How about those Horns taking it to the second best team in the best football conference ever created by man?

    SEC baby!!!
    Enjoy it!!! Nice W. Herman is a proven winner. Good thing for him the bar hasn’t been set very high as of late. Nevertheless I think he can hold his own against the most demanding Alumni in the country.

    I see a changing of the guard in BigXII if he continues to recruit big time. I will say this also Jimbo is moving A&M in the right direction. Interesting times for Texas College football

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •