Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: WT football

Contribute to D2

Default Re: WT football

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Sounds like a complete shift in philosophy, which is welcome in my book
    Reading the release I don't think this is a shift in philosophy.
    Perhaps a more balanced approach, we will see. Like what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
    Well my source was wrong. I know nothing about the hire.

My guess is the original choice either used WT as leverage at his current school or backed out, hence the delay...
    As a Registered Financial Consultant, I have worked with Wt's HR. They take their sweet time with everything.
    Talked to Kindera Potts (VB) this morning, she is still working on HR issues.
    It's just the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    Reading the release I don't think this is a shift in philosophy.
    Perhaps a more balanced approach, we will see. Like what I hear.
    Getting the ball into the playmakers hands is not something they pushed the last 2 years. Outside of hand off to Duke last year, they had no offense. There was no concept of getting the ball to athletes in space. Seems like a big change to me, guess we will see

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2019/1/23...ordinator.aspx

Here you go. Its officially filled now
    This sounds like a good hire. We need a lot more production from the QB than we have had so far in the Hughes era. However, I always have been for a balanced offense. This seems like the guy to get it done.

5. Default Re: WT football

If the guy is coming from TCU, I just don’t seem how he wouldn’t be changing the offensive philosophy. Hope he does well for WT. Lord knows the WT faithful deserve to see points!

Getting the ball into the playmakers hands is not something they pushed the last 2 years. Outside of hand off to Duke last year, they had no offense. There was no concept of getting the ball to athletes in space. Seems like a big change to me, guess we will see
    "Playmakers." That is a key need for WT. A QB that has some mobility, able to do the RPO, with a better than average arm (and accurate), able to scramble a bit and extend plays. And some WR's who can run routes, get separation, and have enough speed to stretch the field. Another RB or two who can do what Carter and Vallo do.

I've watched videos of all the prospects WT's offered (on the 12/27 LSC Scoop list), and what stands out about the WR's collectively is their speed. As a group of WRs, they're not real big, but they are fast and shifty, able to run after the catch. Playmakers.

Add in a new OC with some imagination and a gunslinger mentality and maybe WT can score more than 20 points a game. First need is a QB that fits the new OC's style. I don't see Houghtaling or Hood being that guy.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 01-23-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    "Playmakers." That is a key need for WT. A QB that has some mobility, able to do the RPO, with a better than average arm (and accurate), able to scramble if needed and able to extend plays. And some WR's who can run routes, get separation, and have enough speed to stretch the field. Another RB or two who can do what Carter and Vallo do.

I've watched videos of all the prospects WT's offered (on the 12/27 LSC Scoop list), and what stands out about the WR's collectively is their speed. As a group of WRs, they're not real big, but they are fast and shifty, able to run after the catch. Playmakers.

Add in a new OC with some imagination and a gunslinger mentality and maybe WT can score more than 20 points a game. First need is a QB that fits the new OC's style. I don't see Houghtaling or Hood being that guy.
    Hamilton, Jackson, and Leonty, all true fr last year have good speed and can make plays. They just never really consistently got touches. I'm hoping he will get it done and be a great hire. I read a write up in the Amarillo Globe where Brown is quoted that he believes in physical offense and the run game. So...he may not be what you would expect coming from TCU

Been following the commits for WT on Twitter and it seems alot of them are WR. I have seen a few DL/OL and 1 QB commit so far but the majority that I have seen are WR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    Jake Brown is a stud and this is a great hire by WT.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    This sounds like a good hire. We need a lot more production from the QB than we have had so far in the Hughes era. However, I always have been for a balanced offense. This seems like the guy to get it done.
    Lack of QB production started before Hughes even, I believe it was his defense that held WT to 6 points with the all world RB transfer that had Buff fans talking about a natty.

I'm seeing (on twitter) and hearing about some good commits for the Buffs. A lineman that plays both sides of the ball. Left guard on O and NT on D. How often does that happen at a 6A school today? At 6'5 and 290, his videos are pretty damn good! Kid's a baller. Also a 5'9 205 RB from Austin with some skill.

I had a chance to visit with coach Hughes yesterday. He seemed very upbeat. He emphasized WT was going to get more mobile at the QB spot and that our offense was going go be way less predictable. I don't think we're looking at an Air Raid style offense. Ha! He seemed to indicate he needs an offense that will stay on the field. Move the sticks. Execute. And be more imaginative getting the ball to playmakers in space (and spread it around to more of them). Score more often. More efficient. He'd like to not have his defense on the field as long as he was forced to do last year.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 01-27-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I'm seeing (on twitter) and hearing (from coaches) about some good commits for the Buffs. A lineman that plays both sides of the ball. Left guard on O and NT on D. How often does that happen at a 6A school today? At 6'5 and 260, his videos are pretty damn good! Kid's a baller. Also a 5'9 205 RB from Austin with some skill.
    It rarely happens. Usually only in programs lacking adequate talent...or the player is just a talented FREAK. But, in the cases of a talented FREAK....they are top D1 players, not DII.

I remember when Rex Burkehead played EVERYWHERE in HS Freshman & JV Spring Select. Off, Def, Sp. Teams Then he did the same thing in Fall ball on Varsity @ Plano Senior. His nickname was "Superman". What a FREAK. I am so looking forward to seeing him play in SB LIII. So cool!!

(EDIT/ADDITION: Chip, that player you referenced, Bond (6'5 260 #70) OL for Magnolia appears to only be a Jr. Are you sure he is a 2019 recruit?)

https://www.hudl.com/profile/9226382
    Last edited by ASUPops; 01-28-2019 at 03:43 AM.

Had an interesting conversation with Coach Hughes between basketball games today.

He made the comment that he was planning on 12 - 15 of the incoming freshmen get "significant" playing time.
    Followed that by saying he hoped it was the last class where he couldn't Red Shirt more freshmen.

Don't think he is blowing smoke - this is the game plan.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789