Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WT football

Contribute to D2

Default Re: WT football

I had a long chat with someone very much "in the know" about WT recruiting. Some on here questioned why WT had offered so many kids. Was it quantity over quality? No.

Yes, WT has offered over 100 kids. However, only about 60 of those kids are legitimate WT D2 signing prospects. The other 40 are kids that are going D1. The strategy being, that if they become disenchanted at the D1 level........ bad fit, lack of playing time, being redshirted, too far down on the depth chart, any number of reasons, that they may become potential transfers to WT. They are being recruited just as hard as the "legitimate" HS prospects. And, you never know when some of the D1 kids might decide to go D2.

Makes sense to me as a good recruiting strategy.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 01-09-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
    Just heard that Nick Gerber, walk QB on at Texas Tech, and the single season HS passing yards and TD record holder in the state of Texas, will be transferring to WT. He grew up in Levelland.

Also heard that the OC that WT got is more of a spread guy. I think run will still be a heavy emphasis, but not near as much as it has been in the past. I think that caused Gerber to be interested in WT.
    Are you sure the OC has been tabbed? I was told that Hughes had 12 OC interviews scheduled this week at the national meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Are you sure the OC has been tabbed? I was told that Hughes had 12 OC interviews scheduled this week at the national meetings.
    Im not sure of anything. That was the information passed along to me. When they were talking about the new offensive strategy, maybe they were talking about the direction that Hughes was going to take the offense with his hire as opposed to what the new OC was going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Do you think he will be ready to compete for a spot? Ive never seen him play but saw he was on the Tech roster this last year
    Spent a year under Kliff who is a heck of a QB coach. So he was definitely coached up this year. I think he will be able to come in and compete immediately. Only knock on him is his size. But he is quick, smart, and can obviously pass the ball well.

Spent a year under Kliff who is a heck of a QB coach. So he was definitely coached up this year. I think he will be able to come in and compete immediately. Only knock on him is his size. But he is quick, smart, and can obviously pass the ball well.
    Quick (able to operate the RPO and also extend a play and avoid a pas rush) and able to pass the ball well, sounds like a good recipe for last year's moribund offense operated by a couple of QB cadavers.

I just watched Gerber's HUDL highlight video. He's more mobile than the two stiffs we had last year. He can scramble. Better than average speed for a QB, but he's no Murray. His arm strength seems okay. Probably he's stronger now than he was as a senior in HS. I imagine he is. He's very accurate. Puts the ball in good spots for the receivers. Seems to have an easily catchable ball. He looks to bring attributes to the position neither of the 2018 WT QB's possess. Plays the position with confidence and without hesitation.

I just watched Gerber's HUDL highlight video. He's more mobile than the two stiffs we had last year. He can scramble. Better than average speed for a QB, but he's no Murray. His arm strength seems okay. Probably he's stronger now than he was as a senior in HS. I imagine he is. He's very accurate. Puts the ball in good spots for the receivers. Seems to have an easily catchable ball. He looks to bring attributes to the position neither of the 2018 WT QB's possess. Plays the position with confidence and without hesitation.
    As far as HUDL videos, how many times do you think they inlcude a "highlight" where a kid underthrows his target, or makes a bad pass?

I see those videos as showing you the kid's upper end. They are kind of like seeing your O explode for big plays in teh intrasquad game. How are you supposed to feel?

8. Default Re: WT football

Gerber was a good small high school QB but he didn’t start at Tyler juco and then walked on for a year at Tech. I’m sure he’ll compete but don’t over hype him!

8 games played at Tyler. 624 passing, 2 TD’s and 3 INT.

Also wasn’t a runner at Tyler by any means but he also isn’t a statue.

From everything I heard about him in high school is he is very cerebral.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    As far as HUDL videos, how many times do you think they inlcude a "highlight" where a kid underthrows his target, or makes a bad pass?

I see those videos as showing you the kid's upper end. They are kind of like seeing your O explode for big plays in teh intrasquad game. How are you supposed to feel?
    Valid point!! But, you realize you are ruining a feel good session here.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Valid point!! But, you realize you are ruining a feel good session here.
    When you sit through 5 years of bad QB play, you look for any optimism you can find.

It's cathartic, just let us be haha

I had a long chat with someone very much "in the know" about WT recruiting. Some on here questioned why WT had offered so many kids. Was it quantity over quality? No.

Yes, WT has offered over 100 kids. However, only about 60 of those kids are legitimate WT D2 signing prospects. The other 40 are kids that are going D1. The strategy being, that if they become disenchanted at the D1 level........ bad fit, lack of playing time, being redshirted, too far down on the depth chart, any number of reasons, that they may become potential transfers to WT. They are being recruited just as hard as the "legitimate" HS prospects. And, you never know when some of the D1 kids might decide to go D2.

Tarleton has been doing this type of recruiting for several years, even under the previous coaching staff. My guess is most D2 schools do this for all the reasons mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanFan View Post
    Tarleton has been doing this type of recruiting for several years, even under the previous coaching staff. My guess is most D2 schools do this for all the reasons mentioned.
    Agreed. This refutes the quantity over quality accusation some previous posters alleged.

Chip, if I ever I need someone to run interference, you are hands down the person I am calling. WT football should be paying you as a spokesperson. I did some checking on Whitten since it appears he knows how to turn a program around in a short period of time. His recruiting classes are as follows: 2016 was 22, 2017 was 26, and 2018 was 35. So it appears that trying to get over 100 players is not necessary. You just need to get quality in the number of players you do sign. Now, I am sure Tarleton picked up some more players along the way but no where near the scatter blast shot gun method of lets invite everyone and see who shows up.

When you say I am looking for certain type of player for WT and then you pass out invitations to everyone it kinda makes you look........

Im not sure of anything. That was the information passed along to me. When they were talking about the new offensive strategy, maybe they were talking about the direction that Hughes was going to take the offense with his hire as opposed to what the new OC was going to do.
    Back to chuck n duck?

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Back to chuck n duck?
    I dont think so. Still at least 50/50.

Chip, if I ever I need someone to run interference, you are hands down the person I am calling. WT football should be paying you as a spokesperson. I did some checking on Whitten since it appears he knows how to turn a program around in a short period of time. His recruiting classes are as follows: 2016 was 22, 2017 was 26, and 2018 was 35. So it appears that trying to get over 100 players is not necessary. You just need to get quality in the number of players you do sign. Now, I am sure Tarleton picked up some more players along the way but no where near the scatter blast shot gun method of lets invite everyone and see who shows up.

When you say I am looking for certain type of player for WT and then you pass out invitations to everyone it kinda makes you look........
    WT has to offer a lot of kids because of where they are in the current pecking order.

You can't offer 25 and expect to get 25. Angelo beats you out for one. The Dallas kid decides Canyon is too far and wants to go to Commerce instead. Carthel was in on two of them and they follow him to SFA. Now you're down to 21 offers. Think you're going to win them all?

It would be ridiculously stupid to only offer exactly what you need. Maybe 100 is too much. I'd argue 50 is far too few. If 75 is the right number, they're only 33% too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    WT has to offer a lot of kids because of where they are in the current pecking order.

You can't offer 25 and expect to get 25. Angelo beats you out for one. The Dallas kid decides Canyon is too far and wants to go to Commerce instead. Carthel was in on two of them and they follow him to SFA. Now you're down to 21 offers. Think you're going to win them all?

It would be ridiculously stupid to only offer exactly what you need. Maybe 100 is too much. I'd argue 50 is far too few. If 75 is the right number, they're only 33% too high.
    So how many does TAMUK (still makes me sick typing that name) have to offer to get them to come all the way down to Kingsville? 200?
    We must love our children more than we hate our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Obviously you are not going to get everyone you offer. But, say you really focus on the players you want to sign and you get 50-60%. Offer 50-60 scholarships and get your 25-30 players each year and if they are quality you will win. But, while there will be defections there will also be add on transfers as well. So, in my estimation you always have between 100-120 players. Seems like more than enough and you can at the very least offer some type of scholarship.

Whereas, when you offer over100, there is no way you can offer any type of athletic scholarship. Basically, come here pay your own way and maybe things will work out. Hmmmm....I guess if that was already my choice of school and I was going to pay anyway no big deal. But, for everyone else it’s probably thanks but no thanks.

Btw, they are far north of 100 offers.

Obviously you are not going to get everyone you offer. But, say you really focus on the players you want to sign and you get 50-60%. Offer 50-60 scholarships and get your 25-30 players each year and if they are quality you will win. But, while there will be defections there will also be add on transfers as well. So, in my estimation you always have between 100-120 players. Seems like more than enough and you can at the very least offer some type of scholarship.

Whereas, when you offer over100, there is no way you can offer any type of athletic scholarship. Basically, come here pay your own way and maybe things will work out. Hmmmm....I guess if that was already my choice of school and I was going to pay anyway no big deal. But, for everyone else it’s probably thanks but no thanks.

Btw, they are far north of 100 offers.
    I think getting 1/2 the players a team offers to commit is EXTREMELY optimistic unless you're talking about the Grand Valley, Northwest, Valdosta level programs.

If they are getting 1/2, it means they aren't reaching high enough.

I bet their offers break down something like this. All offers are not equal.

Linebackers (want 4)
    1. Johnny $3,000
    2. Jimmy $2,500
    3. Joe $2,250
    4. Zayne $1,500
    5. Parker $1,000
    6. Bob $500
    7. Brandon $500
    8. Richard $500
    9. Matt $500
    10. Kent $500

They might take the first four that commit, which would then mean the other six offers are rescinded.

20. Default Re: WT football

Commerce under Colby offered a ton of guys, and that worked out well. Other schools have won it all without offering as many players.

It seems to me that either approach can work, except for maybe at a private school. At a place like Commerce the cost is low enough that it is still cheaper to go to TAMUC with a small scholarship than to a place like Harding even with a larger scholarship offer.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast