Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WT football

Contribute to D2

Default Re: WT football

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Not sure about a dislike of WT football.

However, back around the timeframe you are talking about, there were WT posters who were beyond rude & cocky. However, most, not all, jumped ship and disappeared as soon as WT football tanked.

Its hard, but not impossible, to forget azzhole, bandwagon fans. I THINK that's what you are witnessing.

Me personally, I have no disdain for any LSC team.
    Most of "those" WT posters left with the Carthels. I think a few of them assumed Lion avatars and new handles.

The remaining ones, flawed as we are, have hope that the Hughes experiment will be successful. WT has all the basic resources to have a top tier, consistently solid football program. Supporting leadership in the administration. Budget. And now facilities. Can Hughes recruit? Can he hire the right OC? Can he replace other key coaches who may bolt for a better, higher paying opportunity? (I hear another big change in the staff is coming). The ship's still out.

I have talked with numerous kids on the team. They all seem to have bought in to the culture of responsibility, discipline, toughness, and "team" Hughes is aiming for. Conversations with Coach Hughes have left me impressed with his growth as a HC, determination, fire, and no bulls!t approach to getting the job done. He's real blue collar. We're hoping he succeeds. If so, he seems like the kind of guy, like Maskill, who would stick around a long time.

But, like I said, the ship's still out.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 01-01-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Heard Hughes heavily pursued the TAMUC job after Carthel left, but was not given serious consideration

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    The dislike of WT football is very real around here. Wish i was around the board 9 or 10 years ago to see what caused all the built up disdain
    I don't dislike WT football only. I dislike WT basketball b/g, volleyball, baseball, soccer sucks b/g, track b/g, softball, equestrian, tidily winks, drama, debate, cheer squad, and all others.

Don't feel special. I feel the same way toward any school we compete against.

Quote Originally Posted by DIIguru View Post
    Heard Hughes heavily pursued the TAMUC job after Carthel left, but was not given serious consideration
    Help me out. Why would Hughes want to move sideways? I can’t imagine the money being much of a factor. The only thing that would make sense if he knows the AD is running out of patience with him.

Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    Just for the record, it's peccaries that have scent glands that have caused the javelina to also be known as "skunk pig".

Peccaries are also known to be myopic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary

But they are cute when they are babies. So I’ve been told.

This is hard to believe. I like Hughes and I think he deserves a couple of more years to get his act together.

True statement

True statement
    So, all the love Chip and other WT posters are giving Hughes Is for not. He would dump them on a dime. Any idea as to why he would want to move sideways Pops?

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Help me out. Why would Hughes want to move sideways? I can’t imagine the money being much of a factor. The only thing that would make sense if he knows the AD is running out of patience with him.
    $ is a factor. Recruiting is a factor. Proximity to DFW is a factor. Contract term is a factor. Staff support $ is a factor. Right now TAMUC is the place to be.

So, all the love Chip and other WT posters are giving Hughes Is for not. He would dump them on a dime. Any idea as to why he would want to move sideways Pops?
    ANY coach would dump “posters” for a better opportunity for their family. Who could blame them?

$ is a factor. Recruiting is a factor. Proximity to DFW is a factor. Contract term is a factor. Staff support $ is a factor. Right now TAMUC is the place to be.
    If this is the case and I believe it is, then TAMUC and Tarleton can outspend everyone else in the Conference and are going to have a major advantage moving forward. My thinking was that WT had the same resources as these two.

All good points. If I were Hughes, I'd explore it, too.

The one thing WT does that I've never understood, is the policy against giving any coach a multi-year contract. McBroom's philosophy is, if you're doing a good job and winning, you can coach at WT forever. Why then should a coach worry about his security? Bob Schneider coached women's BB for 25 years at WT. Rick Cooper men's BB for about the same number of years. Blaskowski with SB for 12-13 years. Tony Gravestone VB or over 10 years.

The only downside might be in attracting a great coach who's used to working with a multi-year agreement. McBroom would say, "if he's worried about what happens if he fails, he's not our guy."

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    All good points. If I were Hughes, I'd explore it, too.

The one thing WT does that I've never understood, is the policy against giving any coach a multi-year contract. McBroom's philosophy is, if you're doing a good job and winning, you can coach at WT forever. Why then should a coach worry about his security? Bob Schneider coached women's BB for 25 years at WT. Rick Cooper men's BB for about the same number of years. Blaskowski with SB for 12-13 years. Tony Gravestone VB or over 10 years.

The only downside might be in attracting a great coach who's used to working with a multi-year agreement. McBroom would say, "if he's worried about what happens if he fails, he's not our guy."
    Excellent point. I actually LOVE that approach.

I find it interesting Hughes would pursue the Commerce job. I'm also surprised WT isnt more competitive in the support staff and salaries of the football program. I just assumed that was a nonfactor. I do remember the coordinator from Sioux Falls being leery of the contract situation at WT and ultimately turned it down with no term guarantee

I am surprised by Hughes pursuing the commerce job. I have not spoken to him as much as I did Don or Nesbitt but that is not the impression I received from him. The impression I got was that he was thankful to have WT give him a shot at being a head coach and was looking to return the favor with loyalty and wins. From what I understood no LSC head coach officially applied for the position at Commerce.

From a career standpoint it does make sense though. He doesn't have to try and build at commerce like he does at WT, it's already built. He only has to maintain. As far as finances. I don't believe WT is that far behind Commerce or anyone in the LSC for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffTough View Post
    I am surprised by Hughes pursuing the commerce job. I have not spoken to him as much as I did Don or Nesbitt but that is not the impression I received from him. The impression I got was that he was thankful to have WT give him a shot at being a head coach and was looking to return the favor with loyalty and wins.

From a career standpoint it does make sense though. He doesn't have to try and build at commerce like he does at WT, it's already built. He only has to maintain. As far as finances. I don't believe WT is that far behind Commerce or anyone in the LSC for that matter.
    Apparently you are if your HC is pursuing another Team in your conference.

If this is the case and I believe it is, then TAMUC and Tarleton can outspend everyone else in the Conference and are going to have a major advantage moving forward. My thinking was that WT had the same resources as these two.
    It was brought up earlier this year on the financial spending of all the teams. If I remember right Commerce spent the most followed by WT and then Tarleton. They were all within 100k of each other. I will see if I can find the old post.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffTough View Post
    It was brought up earlier this year on the financial spending of all the teams. If I remember right Commerce spent the most followed by WT and then Tarleton. They were all within 100k of each other. I will see if I can find the old post.
    What you don’t see is the perks at TAMUC and Tarleton. Both are substantial from a very reliable source.

I assumed WT was doing likewise, but now that Hughes was looking I’m thinking not.

What you don’t see is the perks at TAMUC and Tarleton. Both are substantial from a very reliable source.

I assumed WT was doing likewise, but now that Hughes was looking I’m thinking not.
    Just see Chips post(s). He is the most "in the know" regarding WT sports as far as I can tell.

So what are the perks?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast