Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 270

Thread: WT football

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,368
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by chivas_gold View Post
    I was watching highlights of BC lions. Sergio miss winning field goal, but yet got a point to win the game I don’t get CFL rules
    https://youtu.be/Wj321bQwzLo
    I'm surprised Sergio missed that, he's usually automatic from that range. He also had a punt returned for a TD, but that wasn't his fault.

    In the CFL if you are able to kick the ball out of the opponent's end zone, or they are unable to return it out of the end zone, the kicking team is awarded a point. I think it's a good rule, I've never understood why in the US we give the opponent a break and bring the ball out to the 20 or 25.

    I was in Vancouver last week on a ship and tried to meet Sergio for lunch, but he was heading to Toronto early that morning for this game. We have had a few near-misses.

    Mike Reilly plays QB for the BC Lions. In our last home playoff game in 2008, he and Keith Null had a wild shoot out but WT prevailed over CWU 49-42. Later Reilly backed up Keith for the Rams.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Vallol got a medical RS.
    Is he going to be ready to play in September? Houghtaling is going to need someone good to hand off to!

    I was in Ketchikan about 3 weeks ago. I spotted this school.

    https://www.kgbsd.org/Domain/86

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    15,099
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    I'm surprised Sergio missed that, he's usually automatic from that range. He also had a punt returned for a TD, but that wasn't his fault.

    In the CFL if you are able to kick the ball out of the opponent's end zone, or they are unable to return it out of the end zone, the kicking team is awarded a point. I think it's a good rule, I've never understood why in the US we give the opponent a break and bring the ball out to the 20 or 25.

    I was in Vancouver last week on a ship and tried to meet Sergio for lunch, but he was heading to Toronto early that morning for this game. We have had a few near-misses.

    Mike Reilly plays QB for the BC Lions. In our last home playoff game in 2008, he and Keith Null had a wild shoot out but WT prevailed over CWU 49-42. Later Reilly backed up Keith for the Rams.
    That game should have been played in Eburg!

    Up to that game, CWU had only a loss to Montana, a 38-35 game decided on a last second FG. Reilly was amazing in that game.

    That Null/Reilly shoot out was awesome to watch. They both threw for more than 400 yards.
    Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 07-11-2019 at 11:08 AM.

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    That game should have been played in Eburg!

    Up to that game, CWU had only a loss to Montana, a 38-35 game decided on a last second FG. Reilly was amazing in that game.

    That Null/Reilly shoot out was awesome to watch. They both threw for more than 400 yards.
    That was one of my favorite games ever. Keith threw a bomb to Charlie Martin, as soon as the ball left Keith's hands I yelled "He's got him!" and he did.

    The playoff game the previous year was also amazing. We beat the Ichabods 39-38 in a game we never lead in until the final minutes. Keith threw an incredible 4th down TD pass in that game, the receiver was covered but the ball went right past the defender's fingertips. He's my all-time favorite WT QB.

    I'm hoping this year Houghtaling can complete a pass for 30 or more yards.

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Rep Power
    73362

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    That was one of my favorite games ever. Keith threw a bomb to Charlie Martin, as soon as the ball left Keith's hands I yelled "He's got him!" and he did.

    The playoff game the previous year was also amazing. We beat the Ichabods 39-38 in a game we never lead in until the final minutes. Keith threw an incredible 4th down TD pass in that game, the receiver was covered but the ball went right past the defender's fingertips. He's my all-time favorite WT QB.

    I'm hoping this year Houghtaling can complete a pass for 30 or more yards.
    Here's to hoping we see Gerber as the QB this year and here's to hoping he is a much better QB. Just my thoughts. Looks like Hood and Houghtaling both return. Lemon Rodriguez is not on the roster now but was here in the spring

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Here's to hoping we see Gerber as the QB this year and here's to hoping he is a much better QB. Just my thoughts. Looks like Hood and Houghtaling both return. Lemon Rodriguez is not on the roster now but was here in the spring
    I hope you are right, but Hughes has started Houghtaling over Brinkley, Arbuckle, Bonneau, Hood, and others. Last year we were all sure Hood was going to be great, so I am keeping my expectations low.

    Maybe the new OC can do wonders with these guys.

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,854
    Rep Power
    688404

    Default Re: WT football

    Football posted their 2019 roster. I counted 75 returning upper classmen and 59 freshmen, 134 players. 19 redshirt freshmen plus 6 sophs (I think) that played as freshmen. If that's accurate they retained 25 kids from the 2018 recruiting class.

    I counted 13 returning offensive linemen. I think Hughes only had 8 or so his first season. It looks like WT has finally gotten some depth.

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Rep Power
    73362

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Football posted their 2019 roster. I counted 75 returning upper classmen and 59 freshmen, 134 players. 19 redshirt freshmen plus 6 sophs (I think) that played as freshmen. If that's accurate they retained 25 kids from the 2018 recruiting class.

    I counted 13 returning offensive linemen. I think Hughes only had 8 or so his first season. It looks like WT has finally gotten some depth.
    I pulled it up this afternoon and there were several changes from yesterday...I think they are still updating. Buckmaster was listed yesterday but has been taken down today. I was hoping to see him play, he looked like a good one. I hope he gets it all sorted out

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Rep Power
    73362

    Default Re: WT football

    Of everyone listed I counted only 20 that were here before Hughes was hired.

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,263
    Rep Power
    55747

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Of everyone listed I counted only 20 that were here before Hughes was hired.
    That means this team is like 90% reflective of Hughes recruiting. No excuses now.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Rep Power
    73362

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    That means this team is like 90% reflective of Hughes recruiting. No excuses now.
    I agree

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Amarillo
    Posts
    2,987
    Rep Power
    25621

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    I agree
    Not being argumentative but I disagree - blanket parameters are hard to handle in any jobs as there is nearly always too many grey areas. e.g. Nesbitt inherited an incredibly loaded NC potential team and was given 4 years. Now Hughes inherited a depleted, demoralized & low academic team from which few remained & even fewer are there now. So, with only his first 2 years of recruits having any experience (incoming freshmen have 0) in his program he is supposed to set all kinds of new expectations in his 3rd season. Not too much to hope for, but . . . Fortunately, we have an AD that will evaluate him on more than just a win/loss in 2019.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas, United States
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    25648

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by ras619 View Post
    Not being argumentative but I disagree - blanket parameters are hard to handle in any jobs as there is nearly always too many grey areas. e.g. Nesbitt inherited an incredibly loaded NC potential team and was given 4 years. Now Hughes inherited a depleted, demoralized & low academic team from which few remained & even fewer are there now. So, with only his first 2 years of recruits having any experience (incoming freshmen have 0) in his program he is supposed to set all kinds of new expectations in his 3rd season. Not too much to hope for, but . . . Fortunately, we have an AD that will evaluate him on more than just a win/loss in 2019.
    Let's also not forget that his first year of recruits was well behind the curve. He was hired late (end of December) and had very little time to actually get out and recruit. February 1st was the D2 signing day in 2017. So he had roughly a month and a few days to pull whatever recruits he could muster. Let's not act like Hughes has had a full 2 years of recruits. He didn't have the time nor the staff yet to get a full recruiting season under his belt. IMO he deserves at least another year before we all start carrying pitch forks and demanding his head.
    Last edited by BuffTough; 07-18-2019 at 11:22 PM.

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Rep Power
    73362

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by ras619 View Post
    Not being argumentative but I disagree - blanket parameters are hard to handle in any jobs as there is nearly always too many grey areas. e.g. Nesbitt inherited an incredibly loaded NC potential team and was given 4 years. Now Hughes inherited a depleted, demoralized & low academic team from which few remained & even fewer are there now. So, with only his first 2 years of recruits having any experience (incoming freshmen have 0) in his program he is supposed to set all kinds of new expectations in his 3rd season. Not too much to hope for, but . . . Fortunately, we have an AD that will evaluate him on more than just a win/loss in 2019.
    Valid points, it is not fair to compare the two situations. Nesbitt blew the doors off the program after it had reached a national contender status and Hughes inherited the mess. I still feel like we should see substantial improvement this year. He has had two full recruiting cycles and his short first cycle has a few pretty good players that will be starting for the 2nd or 3rd year...Ayrton Payne, Joseph Barron, Brandon Blair, Eric Collins, Xavier Rivera, Parker Hanna, MacGreggor Harrah. By and large this is his team and we will either see the talent or continue the mediocrity. They may not be an experienced team, but talent will show and win if it's there. Commerce and plenty others have played true freshmen on really good teams. I'm not saying he should be fired but I'd say there should be significant concerns if there isn't substantial improvement this season.

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,263
    Rep Power
    55747

    Default Re: WT football

    Colby lost his whole team and won a Natty in 4 years.

    STOP MAKING EXCUSES. Trust me, I did this for 5 years.

    WINNERS WIN, LOSERS LOSE. And winners do it with a serious sense of URGENCY.

    NO MORE EXCUSES.

  16. #256
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,452
    Rep Power
    178894

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Colby lost his whole team and won a Natty in 4 years.

    STOP MAKING EXCUSES. Trust me, I did this for 5 years.

    WINNERS WIN, LOSERS LOSE. And winners do it with a serious sense of URGENCY.

    NO MORE EXCUSES.
    Hasn't Hughes only been coaching at WT for 2 seasons? Do you think he needs to win a natty in 2 years to be seen as successful there? Honest questions here, you know my thoughts on him as a head coach so not asking in order to defend him by any means.

  17. #257
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    3rd stall on the left
    Posts
    4,079
    Rep Power
    64006

    Default Re: WT football

    Here's my prediction:

    5 wins or less and Hughes won't be back for a third. He can go 6 wins and return. Next year 7 wins will be the minimum and even possibly 8.

    I have no insider knowledge other than looking at what coaches have come and gone over the last decade and what numbers they were putting up when they were dismissed.

  18. #258

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Here's my prediction:

    5 wins or less and Hughes won't be back for a third. He can go 6 wins and return. Next year 7 wins will be the minimum and even possibly 8.

    I have no insider knowledge other than looking at what coaches have come and gone over the last decade and what numbers they were putting up when they were dismissed.
    I think this an accurate assessment. The AD is probably looking for progress every year. He's not deep enough into his tenure to have earned a setback season.

  19. #259
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,854
    Rep Power
    688404

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Here's my prediction:

    5 wins or less and Hughes won't be back for a third. He can go 6 wins and return. Next year 7 wins will be the minimum and even possibly 8.

    I have no insider knowledge other than looking at what coaches have come and gone over the last decade and what numbers they were putting up when they were dismissed.
    I pretty much agree. As I have said before, I'm looking for a 7 win season. Anything less puts doubt up front in the Hughes regime. 7 wins is progress, especially if the losses are competitive instead of lopsided like some were last year. 8 or more wins and the Hughes ship is in full sail and heading for a warm water port.

  20. #260
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,263
    Rep Power
    55747

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    Hasn't Hughes only been coaching at WT for 2 seasons? Do you think he needs to win a natty in 2 years to be seen as successful there? Honest questions here, you know my thoughts on him as a head coach so not asking in order to defend him by any means.
    Nope. Although that would be impressive.

    But, I do expect him to at least compete for the LSC ship.

    However, I expect WT fans to be ok with a 4th place finish. *YAWN*

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •