Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 235

Thread: WT football

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Valley of the Buffalo
    Posts
    1,199
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    30396

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Any news on when spring ball will be? I've never seen anything published but thought some of you close to tge program might know
    If I remember I think Coach said March 18 was the starting date.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,257
    Rep Power
    73361

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    If I remember I think Coach said March 18 was the starting date.
    Thank you. I keep thinking there will be an official release soon

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas, United States
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    8774

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Valley of the Buffalo
    Posts
    1,199
    Rep Power
    30396

    Default Re: WT football

    Now for the second season - Spring Football
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,212
    Rep Power
    55747

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    Now for the second season - Spring Football
    HAHAHAHAHA!!! This kills me GWB!!! The "OT WTFB" thread.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Old School---WTSU
    Posts
    6,130
    Rep Power
    17487

    Default Re: WT football

    Ok, anyone been to spring drills??

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,257
    Rep Power
    73361

    Default Re: WT football

    82 reported for spring camp, so numbers are up again. I hope to make it out there this weekend

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,739
    Rep Power
    658219

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    82 reported for spring camp, so numbers are up again. I hope to make it out there this weekend

    Compares to 55 the first Hughes spring. Retaining kids. Filling the pipeline. 11 starters return.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas, United States
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    8774

    Default Re: WT football

    Do you if Vallo is coming back. I really like him and show a lot of potential before his injury?

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,739
    Rep Power
    658219

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by chivas_gold View Post
    Do you if Vallo is coming back. I really like him and show a lot of potential before his injury?
    I asked a coach about Vallo and Carter. He said both are doing well in rehab and will be back. I'm going to try and go to practice Sunday afternoon. They put the pads on Friday.

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I asked a coach about Vallo and Carter. He said both are doing well in rehab and will be back. I'm going to try and go to practice Sunday afternoon. They put the pads on Friday.
    That's great news! I've been wondering about them too.

  12. #192

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I asked a coach about Vallo and Carter. He said both are doing well in rehab and will be back. I'm going to try and go to practice Sunday afternoon. They put the pads on Friday.
    Hopefully you'll have a report for us.

  13. Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFamAlum View Post
    If the guy is coming from TCU, I just don’t seem how he wouldn’t be changing the offensive philosophy. Hope he does well for WT. Lord knows the WT faithful deserve to see points!
    For sure. At least generate enough offense to get in Field Goal range.

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,739
    Rep Power
    658219

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I asked a coach about Vallo and Carter. He said both are doing well in rehab and will be back. I'm going to try and go to practice Sunday afternoon. They put the pads on Friday.
    I'm not going to practice today. We're heading out for Indiana with a stop tonight at a relative's home in Moore OK.

    Maybe someone else can go to practice and report back.

    There was a long article in the local paper about the new offensive coordinator, Jake Brown. In the article were several mentions of his new offense being a multiple-style scheme with lots of formations, motion, shifts, play-action, etc. It all sounds promising after the stilted and inefficient offense the previous OC ran. Today, the paper previewed the 4 QBs that will be battling for the job. Hughes says it's wide open. All four will get equal snaps. Hopefully, someone emerges as the best bet for the fall.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-24-2019 at 12:14 PM.

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I'm not going to practice today. We're heading out for Indiana with a stop tonight at a relative's home in Moore OK.

    Maybe someone else can go to practice and report back.

    There was a long article in the local paper about the new offensive coordinator, Jake Brown. In the article were several mentions of his new offense being a multiple-style scheme with lots of formations, motion, shifts, play-action, etc. It all sounds promising after the stilted and inefficient offense the previous OC ran. Today, the paper previewed the 4 QBs that will be battling for the job. Hughes says it's wide open. All four will get equal snaps. Hopefully, someone emerges as the best bet for the fall.
    Maybe the new OC can do something with Hood, who does have a pretty good arm. He just would panic when his primary receiver was covered. I grew to appreciate Houghtaling, as I think he has some leadership skills, and keeps his cool. He just doesn't have a great arm nor the speed to make many good runs. He did get the job done against CWU and Angelo last year, which I thought were our 2 best wins.

    Hood.
    Last edited by WT_TKW; 03-24-2019 at 06:14 PM.

  16. #196
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,739
    Rep Power
    658219

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    Maybe the new OC can do something with Hood, who does have a pretty good arm. He just would panic when his primary receiver was covered. I grew to appreciate Houghtaling, as I think he has some leadership skills, and keeps his cool. He just doesn't have a great arm nor the speed to make many good runs. He did get the job done against CWU and Angelo last year, which I thought were our 2 best wins.

    Hood.
    I'm putting my money on Nick Gerber.

    I have nothing current to base that on. Nothing related to on-the-field-performance in spring practice type of thing. However, based on Gerber's HS experience, the 9 games he played on the JUCO level, and his 1 year tutelage under Kingsbury, I have a feeling, if all things are equal, that having him as a 3 year starter will tilt the decision his way. I think a QB's ability to scramble when needed and his ability to run play-action is going to be critical in Jake Brown's offense. Neither Houghtaling nor Hood can scramble or run. If they go with Houghtaling or Hood, what's the purpose of putting in a new offense? You're handcuffing yourself before you even come off of the sidelines. Gerber is definitely more mobile than Houghtaling or Hood. He's no Kyler Murray, but he's not a corpse like Houghtaling or Hood.

    Did anyone make it to practice this afternoon?
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-24-2019 at 08:01 PM.

  17. #197
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,257
    Rep Power
    73361

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I'm putting my money on Nick Gerber.

    I have nothing current to base that on. Nothing related to on-the-field-performance in spring practice type of thing. However, based on Gerber's HS experience, the 9 games he played on the JUCO level, and his 1 year tutelage under Kingsbury, I have a feeling, if all things are equal, that having him as a 3 year starter will tilt the decision his way. I think a QB's ability to scramble when needed and his ability to run play-action is going to be critical in Jake Brown's offense. Neither Houghtaling nor Hood can scramble or run. If they go with Houghtaling or Hood, what's the purpose of putting in a new offense? You're handcuffing yourself before you even come off of the sidelines. Gerber is definitely more mobile than Houghtaling or Hood. He's no Kyler Murray, but he's not a corpse like Houghtaling or Hood.

    Did anyone make it to practice this afternoon?
    I went out this afternoon and watched for a bit. I tried to just watch the offense for the most part. Just from observation, without counting, there are quite a few more offensive players than defensive players currently. That surprised me a bit. Gerber would seem to be the most consistent of the 4 QBs from what I watched. He doesn't have quite the zip on the ball that the others do. He looks pretty small compared to the other 3, but they are all 6'5", so idk how tall he actually is. One of the transfer OL was running 2nd team and the other Ederson was walking with the injured players I think. It appears the Buckmaster kid is not on the team for sure. I say all that because it seems like it will be a lot of the same faces on the O line. Duke was suited out and practicing but had the yellow QB jersey on. Vallo wasn't suited out and was walking with the injured players. I'll have to catch a couple more to really get an opinion. I had to leave before they ran any live O vs D.

  18. #198
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    I went out this afternoon and watched for a bit. I tried to just watch the offense for the most part. Just from observation, without counting, there are quite a few more offensive players than defensive players currently. That surprised me a bit. Gerber would seem to be the most consistent of the 4 QBs from what I watched. He doesn't have quite the zip on the ball that the others do. He looks pretty small compared to the other 3, but they are all 6'5", so idk how tall he actually is. One of the transfer OL was running 2nd team and the other Ederson was walking with the injured players I think. It appears the Buckmaster kid is not on the team for sure. I say all that because it seems like it will be a lot of the same faces on the O line. Duke was suited out and practicing but had the yellow QB jersey on. Vallo wasn't suited out and was walking with the injured players. I'll have to catch a couple more to really get an opinion. I had to leave before they ran any live O vs D.
    Thanks for the report! Gerber is 6'1". Here's the rest of his story. https://texastech.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5509

  19. #199
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,257
    Rep Power
    73361

    Default Re: WT football

    Looks like they've added another DL for the Fall. I'm glad to see this because they haven't had good depth there in a few years.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/SDmesafoo...84078366728192

  20. #200
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,739
    Rep Power
    658219

    Default Re: WT football

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Looks like they've added another DL for the Fall. I'm glad to see this because they haven't had good depth there in a few years.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/SDmesafoo...84078366728192

    I went and watched his hudl video. He looks like an immediate contributor. 6'3, 240. A good edge guy. Was very productive at San Diego Mesa College.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •