Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

  1. #1

    Default MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    What have we learned about both the women and men heading into break?? Conference wide and your school.

    FHSU Women - look to be pretty good again. They looked to be clicking the last few games before heading into break. Several players have had good starts to the season. I know still lots more in them to bring out.

    FHSU Men - it has been a bit of up and down. Have pulled off a couple conference wins and out of conference wins but also lost one on the road to a very beatable Newman and had a tough one against Bethel that they pulled out. Hopefully the game against Bethel was a wake up call before break.

    MIAA Women - seems to be much of the same over the last several years.

    MIAA Men - over the last couple years it seems to be much of the same here as well. Definitely the upper tier teams are clicking and doing well especially out of conference.

  2. Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Truthfully the MIAA men's teams as a whole had a very good first semester.

    Last year's regional qualifiers are all back and off to hot starts. Pitt looks poised to challenge everyone.

    Lincoln is off to a nice start and Western has already matched last season's victory total. I think teams who have to make the swing into Oklahoma for those pair of games are going to have their hands full, as Northeastern has some nice height and Central Ok has a pair of really talented transfers, one of whom is going to put up nice numbers every night it appears (D1 transfer from one of last year's final four teams in the Big Dance).

    Lindenwood is competitive again but may not be quite deep enough to win consistently.

    Kearney appears to be quite down, finally feeling the effects of losing those killer b's.

    I'd expect Hays and Emporia to be tough outs more often than not, especially at home.

    The injury bug has hit Central MO and they might be facing one of their worst seasons in a long time.

    SBU will probably be tough at home in their small rowdy gym, but probably finishes near the bottom of the league in their farewell tour.

  3. #3

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Good summary on the men MisterWizard. I would concur. Just to elaborate more, I think Lincoln, Lindenwood and Emporia will be really tough at home. They all appear to be kind of inconsistent but can play with anybody at home. I expect UCM to get better as they get healthier. Some individuals that are off to hot starts: Martin from Mo. Southern, Blake from Washburn, Lozoya & Franklin from Pitt and Witthus from NWMS. Some surprises early: Hudgeons & Hawkins from NWMS, Avery from UCO, Newman from Lindenwood and Koster from UNK. Scoring appears to be up this year. Last year Pitt led the conference in scoring at 84.8ppg. This year there are 6 teams averaging 84.8 or higher (Mo. Southern, Pitt, NWMS, ESU, NSU and Wash) with Missouri Southern leading the conference averaging 95pts a game. Points will be tougher to come by once conference season starts but it appears that the league is more loaded with scorers this year.
    Last edited by Btech#3; 12-27-2018 at 01:34 PM.

  4. Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    You always hear it's tough to win on the road. Which of these league 2-0 teams will still be undefeated come Sunday?

    Northwest Mo at NE OK and Central OK
    MSSU at Lindenwood and Lincoln
    PSU at Lincoln and Lindenwood
    Washburn at Emporia
    Fort Hays at Central MO and SBU

    The favorite out of the above would have to be Washburn.

  5. #5

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    I think Northwest MO and Washburn stay undefeated. I think the Oklahoma swing is the easiest two game set and Washburn only plays one. I think Lincoln and Lindenwood are much improved ball clubs and will be tough at home. Would not be surprised if NW gets upset so my favorite is Washburn as well.

  6. Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    I think Northwest MO and Washburn stay undefeated. I think the Oklahoma swing is the easiest two game set and Washburn only plays one. I think Lincoln and Lindenwood are much improved ball clubs and will be tough at home. Would not be surprised if NW gets upset so my favorite is Washburn as well.
    Good call...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Posts
    1,390
    Rep Power
    60535

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Good call...
    Except for NW!

  8. Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    Except for NW!
    I was going by his earlier comments in the post. Mo West and Northwest both win their game ones on the Oklahoma swing.

    Southern and Pitt drop their games in st Louie and Jeff.

    Hays loses at Central (not a shock).

  9. #9

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    I was going by his earlier comments in the post. Mo West and Northwest both win their game ones on the Oklahoma swing.

    Southern and Pitt drop their games in st Louie and Jeff.

    Hays loses at Central (not a shock).
    The lindenwood/Lincoln swing will be a tough one for all teams.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Posts
    1,390
    Rep Power
    60535

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    I was going by his earlier comments in the post. Mo West and Northwest both win their game ones on the Oklahoma swing.

    Southern and Pitt drop their games in st Louie and Jeff.

    Hays loses at Central (not a shock).
    Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    I think Northwest MO and Washburn stay undefeated. I think the Oklahoma swing is the easiest two game set and Washburn only plays one. I think Lincoln and Lindenwood are much improved ball clubs and will be tough at home. Would not be surprised if NW gets upset so my favorite is Washburn as well.
    Don't think you read the entire post!

  11. #11

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    I am not going to go against NWMS. You guys are playing lights out. I will be surprised if UCO gives you a game. I don’t think anyone will beat you guys the way you are playing right now. I will retract my earlier statement. I did say I thought you would win. I just think that Okie roadtrip can be pretty tough depending on the year so that’s why I made my comment about the possible loss. Great win for MO West. They are getting better every week.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belton, MO
    Posts
    2,799
    Rep Power
    267472

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    Don't think you read the entire post!
    I think "X" but wouldn't be surprised if "Y" means he's taking "X" IMO. "X" = Northwest & Washburn stay undefeated.

  13. Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Big win by LU tonight, foul trouble on the big man definitely helped. Certainly glad we will only see Southern once throughout conference play. Perhaps the brutal non conference schedule is paying off as the team seemed energized to finally play a meaningful game at home.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, Missouri
    Posts
    4,470
    Rep Power
    182849

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheLion View Post
    Big win by LU tonight, foul trouble on the big man definitely helped. Certainly glad we will only see Southern once throughout conference play. Perhaps the brutal non conference schedule is paying off as the team seemed energized to finally play a meaningful game at home.
    Both men and women won their games against MoSo.

    Maybe the Women will start getting some love in the polls now that they sit at 9-1. Their only loss was a beat down by #9 Drury, but they've handled pretty much everyone else on their schedule, including #24 Truman State who is 11-1 with their only loss being against the Lady Lions.


    Men's team looks to be dangerous enough to compete against almost anyone. I do wish they had better showings vs. Bellarmine and NWMSU, but it was a pretty brutal opening few weeks.... lots of bus time.
    Cool Story Bro

  15. Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Diekvoss was a beast last night for Lindenwood. Man on a mission. If he plays like that every night the Lions have a lot more wins ahead for them. He was full speed ahead at its finest.

  16. #16

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    Except for NW!
    The trip is not over for NW and today's game could be a tough one.

    Up until Thursday night, UCO had 4 losses but they were all to very good teams (Southern Nazarene, West Texas A&M, Mo Southern, and Pitt St) who were a combined 45-9. Three of those teams are ranked in the top 25.

    While Western is improved, they're not at the level of those other teams and I think that loss will have UCO ready to go. Combine that with the lights out shooting NW had the other night and I wonder if they are due for an off game shooting the ball.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Maryville, MO
    Posts
    5,483
    Rep Power
    109994

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    The trip is not over for NW and today's game could be a tough one.

    Up until Thursday night, UCO had 4 losses but they were all to very good teams (Southern Nazarene, West Texas A&M, Mo Southern, and Pitt St) who were a combined 45-9. Three of those teams are ranked in the top 25.

    While Western is improved, they're not at the level of those other teams and I think that loss will have UCO ready to go. Combine that with the lights out shooting NW had the other night and I wonder if they are due for an off game shooting the ball.
    Anything less than the 64% total from the field and 65% from beyond the arc will be an "off" game. That was crazy. If NW continues to do what they are doing (solid defense, unselfish offense), they will be fine.

  18. #18

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    Anything less than the 64% total from the field and 65% from beyond the arc will be an "off" game. That was crazy. If NW continues to do what they are doing (solid defense, unselfish offense), they will be fine.
    Oh I don't expect what they did last game to be the norm. I just think UCO could be a little upset about the last game and come out with a little fire. When I say off game I'm talking low-mid 40% from field and upper 30% from three. Only one game this year have they had percentages that low which is shocking how well they've shot the ball.

    They're bound to have an off game shooting at some point. I think this game sets up to have that potential. Hopefully I'm wrong!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Maryville, MO
    Posts
    5,483
    Rep Power
    109994

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    Oh I don't expect what they did last game to be the norm. I just think UCO could be a little upset about the last game and come out with a little fire. When I say off game I'm talking low-mid 40% from field and upper 30% from three. Only one game this year have they had percentages that low which is shocking how well they've shot the ball.

    They're bound to have an off game shooting at some point. I think this game sets up to have that potential. Hopefully I'm wrong!
    13 games into season against some good teams and very bad teams. NW sets up well against UCO, not too worried. The worry should be those teams with good bigs down on blocks.

  20. #20

    Default Re: MIAA heading into break both Women and Men

    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    13 games into season against some good teams and very bad teams. NW sets up well against UCO, not too worried. The worry should be those teams with good bigs down on blocks.
    The Loyola transfer is averaging 20 and 10 so we'll get our first look at that today. He is a little undersized at 6'6 but can't complain with his production. Will be interesting to see how we handle him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •