Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 88

Thread: Partridge Right or Wrong?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Planet Earth Somewhere
    Posts
    4,508
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    110528

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    GB - It seems like PP, in his sneaky way, is calling you a female body area that starts with P.
    It's going to be a long off-season, if all we have to talk about is my knuckleball...hahahah

  2. Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    I will point out that JP is a defensive mind not sitting in RB meetings and the bond between a RB and the FB/OL runs much deeper, you are not in the trenches with a coach.

    He went to a rival. If you switch to a rival then that means you never bought in to begin with. When you buy in, it is family versus everyone. Selfish kid is selfish, simple as that. Cry baby wanted a ring, chased a ring.

    Want to win? Make sure your backup is at every summer workout, Push your line in conditioning, lead the pack as example in the classroom. That kid quit and ran, there is nothing heroic about it. Longacre, Adams, Bevins, if they jump to a different team there would be outrage. See it from the other point of view. This is a lack of character.
    Maybe helpful to also see it from Caldwell's point of view. Your post intimates he had a choice ("If you switch to a rival..." and "That kid quit and ran...."). He did not. He was no longer welcome and had to make a decision whether to play again and if so where to play. The debate can continue about how it got to that point (Caldwell's fault, Western's fault or both their faults) but the fact is it did and he had to leave.

    Maybe he just wanted to play football and felt angry about how it all ended and felt what better way to wound those he was angry at and go be successful against them at their rival. Coach Partridge clearly has a point of view that Caldwell's departure was bad for Western and joining NW a positive for them. He is right about that although people obviously disagree as to the magnitude of damage to Western or benefit to NW.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Open Road
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    79542

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by backintheday View Post
    Maybe helpful to also see it from Caldwell's point of view. Your post intimates he had a choice ("If you switch to a rival..." and "That kid quit and ran...."). He did not. He was no longer welcome and had to make a decision whether to play again and if so where to play. The debate can continue about how it got to that point (Caldwell's fault, Western's fault or both their faults) but the fact is it did and he had to leave.

    Maybe he just wanted to play football and felt angry about how it all ended and felt what better way to wound those he was angry at and go be successful against them at their rival. Coach Partridge clearly has a point of view that Caldwell's departure was bad for Western and joining NW a positive for them. He is right about that although people obviously disagree as to the magnitude of damage to Western or benefit to NW.
    He did have a choice, and he shopped himself around to several MIAA schools. And of course JP isn’t going to be on the schools side...they just canned him

  4. Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    He did have a choice, and he shopped himself around to several MIAA schools. And of course JP isn’t going to be on the schools side...they just canned him
    Once he was forced out, once he decided to continue his playing career, then his choice was where to continue it. At that point any MIAA school would be a rival, some more than others for sure. Your posts seem to reflect a feeling he just woke up one day and decided to leave and go to NW to screw his teammates. That's not the way things happened.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Open Road
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    79542

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by backintheday View Post
    Once he was forced out, once he decided to continue his playing career, then his choice was where to continue it. At that point any MIAA school would be a rival, some more than others for sure. Your posts seem to reflect a feeling he just woke up one day and decided to leave and go to NW to screw his teammates. That's not the way things happened.
    Don’t think he was forced out man. Why would a new staff come in with an immediate grudge against the teams all conf back? More likely new staff emphasized competition, he had an opinion that he should have been treated differently based on what he’d done in his career. The negative impact he’d have on the team outweighed the positive.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Omaha, NE Area
    Posts
    43,560
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    12500

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    Don’t think he was forced out man. Why would a new staff come in with an immediate grudge against the teams all conf back? More likely new staff emphasized competition, he had an opinion that he should have been treated differently based on what he’d done in his career. The negative impact he’d have on the team outweighed the positive.
    This is incorrect. It had nothing to do how he felt like he should of been treated. The new coach and Caldwell did not mesh well and had differences but it wasn't because he wanted to be treated differently. There was a lot to the story and not my place to be airing it on a message board.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    This all depends on your perspective.

    I think the kid learned to try to sacrifice personal gain for team gain. His style works best when he can get most of the carries and gets a bunch of small gains then busts through for a long gain. He was never going to get 25 plus carries per game at NW. Plus, he knew that he would have to compete with other competent backs for carries.

    So if he was looking to be part of something bigger, it was successful. If he wanted to be the all-time leading rusher at a school, it might have been a mistake.

    I admire someone who wants to be part of something special at a personal loss. I also admire his loyalty to Coach P.
    The entire list of NW RB's who have avg. 60+ ypg and avg. 6.0 or more ypc over the past 7 seasons:

    Isaiah Strayhorn
    Josh Caldwell

    Joining names such as Omon, Council, Franklin, and Simmons prior to that.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred33 View Post
    I think from a statistical results standpoint, it was probably disappointing for both Northwest and Caldwell. I don't put that on the kid though... it's hard to know what might have been if he hadn't been banged up all year long. Add to that, he was part of a committee and Northwest didn't exactly have a road grader offensive line for him to produce behind. He showed some flashes and I think he proved he's a tough kid, because I don't think he was physically "right" for a good chunk of the season. I wouldn't say it was a bad decision or the wrong decision by any means, but it didn't become the perfect storm we had all hoped for.
    Was Strayhorn disappointing as well?

    RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
    Strayhorn,I. 13 136 884 10 874 6.4 7 84 67.2
    Caldwell,Josh 13 139 854 24 830 6.0 11 46 63.8

    RECEIVING GP No. Yards Avg TD Long Avg/G
    Caldwell,Josh 13 13 55 4.2 2 20 4.2
    Strayhorn,I. 13 5 33 6.6 0 18 2.5


    Caldwell's career ypc over 3 seasons at MW was 6.0. Exactly what he did at NW.

    He scored 13 TDs. More than any season at MW. A conference championship. A playoff win. 10 total wins. As many or more than any 2 seasons combined at MW. Short of transferring to Ferris or Valdosta I'm not sure how you could have asked for a more successful season.
    Last edited by Taxman; 01-02-2019 at 04:56 PM.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,541
    Rep Power
    438801

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    GB - It seems like PP, in his sneaky way, is calling you a female body area that starts with P.
    Nah. It's from Major League.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    The entire list of NW RB's who have avg. 60+ ypg and avg. 6.0 or more ypc over the past 7 seasons:

    Isaiah Strayhorn
    Josh Caldwell

    Joining names such as Omon, Council, Franklin, and Simmons prior to that.
    I would never have guessed that each averaged over 6 ypc.

    Really the sacrifice Caldwell made was the amount of carries.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21,620
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    Was Strayhorn disappointing as well?

    RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
    Strayhorn,I. 13 136 884 10 874 6.4 7 84 67.2
    Caldwell,Josh 13 139 854 24 830 6.0 11 46 63.8

    RECEIVING GP No. Yards Avg TD Long Avg/G
    Caldwell,Josh 13 13 55 4.2 2 20 4.2
    Strayhorn,I. 13 5 33 6.6 0 18 2.5


    Caldwell's career ypc over 3 seasons at MW was 6.0. Exactly what he did at NW.

    He scored 13 TDs. More than any season at MW. A conference championship. A playoff win. 10 total wins. As many or more than any 2 seasons combined at MW. Short of transferring to Ferris or Valdosta I'm not sure how you could have asked for a more successful season.
    Statistically Caldwell’s production mirrored his time at MW, mostly due to a couple of monster games against UCM and GVSU at the end of the year. For most of the season his production was not what Northwest fans thought they were getting. I think disappointing is accurate, especially when you look at his numbers in the three losses.

    More globally, I think a lot of fans thought an improved running game would lead to a return to the glory days. A *shared* conference championship and a playoff win is a great season for most of us, but certainly disappointing by Northwest standards, no?

  12. #52

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    More globally, I think a lot of fans thought an improved running game would lead to a return to the glory days.
    Admittedly, I'm down in KC and not in Maryville, but I don't recall many people thinking a return to the championship game was in the cards this year. I think they took a step in the right direction.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21,620
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Admittedly, I'm down in KC and not in Maryville, but I don't recall many people thinking a return to the championship game was in the cards this year. I think they took a step in the right direction.
    That’s probably true for most rational fans. I’ll leave it to others to speculate on how many of those there are in the Northwest fan base. ;)

  14. #54

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    Statistically Caldwell’s production mirrored his time at MW, mostly due to a couple of monster games against UCM and GVSU at the end of the year. For most of the season his production was not what Northwest fans thought they were getting. I think disappointing is accurate, especially when you look at his numbers in the three losses.

    More globally, I think a lot of fans thought an improved running game would lead to a return to the glory days. A *shared* conference championship and a playoff win is a great season for most of us, but certainly disappointing by Northwest standards, no?
    #closetNWfan

    Seriously short of a NC what could Caldwell have done or wanted more?

  15. #55

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    Statistically Caldwell’s production mirrored his time at MW, mostly due to a couple of monster games against UCM and GVSU at the end of the year. For most of the season his production was not what Northwest fans thought they were getting. I think disappointing is accurate, especially when you look at his numbers in the three losses.

    More globally, I think a lot of fans thought an improved running game would lead to a return to the glory days. A *shared* conference championship and a playoff win is a great season for most of us, but certainly disappointing by Northwest standards, no?
    On a side note, a vast improvement in the passing game, not running game, is what NW needs to return to national relevance. But it appears they are going to follow the Chiefs and Pitt State approach to improvement.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Open Road
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    79542

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by JR Chaney View Post
    This is incorrect. It had nothing to do how he felt like he should of been treated. The new coach and Caldwell did not mesh well and had differences but it wasn't because he wanted to be treated differently. There was a lot to the story and not my place to be airing it on a message board.
    How is it incorrect? Didn’t mesh well aka didn’t kiss his ass or give whatever treatment JP gave him. Which they had every right to do, the culture at the end of JPs era needed new direction and a shake up. Didn’t mesh well as an excuse is LOL

  17. #57
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21,620
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    #closetNWfan

    Seriously short of a NC what could Caldwell have done or wanted more?
    Winning a natty was his stated goal:

    “I just want to come in and contribute to the backfield and help that team win a national championship.”

    “My goal is not to go in there and say I have to be the guy. My goal is just to help them win a national championship, and if I can do that touching the ball one time a game then I will do that,” Caldwell said.

    So when you say “short of a NC,” you’re cutting out a big part of why he chose to go to NW.

    But short of his stated goal: I’m sure an outright conference championship would have been more satisfying than a shared one. I’m sure a regional championship and a national championship appearance even in a loss would have been more satisfying than a second-round loss. Although he claimed no interest in individual honors, I’m sure something more than the pat-on-the-back honorable mention all-conference honor would have been a welcome finale to his college career.

    None of that is to say he made the wrong choice. As I’ve said multiple times, that’s a judgement he’ll have to make. It doesn’t sound like he has any regrets now. He may feel differently in a few years.

    That doesn’t really have anything to do with my point though: for most of the season his contributions were not what was expected, which is the definition of disappointment. That doesn’t make him a bad player or a bad person.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    national championship
    Side note:

    It has been my experience that most decent teams feel like they can win the championship, even when it's not realistic. Has that been your experience?

  19. #59

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    Winning a natty was his stated goal:

    “I just want to come in and contribute to the backfield and help that team win a national championship.”

    “My goal is not to go in there and say I have to be the guy. My goal is just to help them win a national championship, and if I can do that touching the ball one time a game then I will do that,” Caldwell said.

    So when you say “short of a NC,” you’re cutting out a big part of why he chose to go to NW.

    But short of his stated goal: I’m sure an outright conference championship would have been more satisfying than a shared one. I’m sure a regional championship and a national championship appearance even in a loss would have been more satisfying than a second-round loss. Although he claimed no interest in individual honors, I’m sure something more than the pat-on-the-back honorable mention all-conference honor would have been a welcome finale to his college career.

    None of that is to say he made the wrong choice. As I’ve said multiple times, that’s a judgement he’ll have to make. It doesn’t sound like he has any regrets now. He may feel differently in a few years.

    That doesn’t really have anything to do with my point though: for most of the season his contributions were not what was expected, which is the definition of disappointment. That doesn’t make him a bad player or a bad person.
    I'll take his numbers every single season. They were good enough to win a Natty. He ran the ball better than any RB in the past 3 NC seasons for NW. And if you, and others, want to continue to call him a disappointment, to think his floor was better than Phil Jackson and Cameron Wilcox's ceiling says a lot about his talent and expectations (or the others' lack thereof ). In addition, I think most would say Strayhorn had a great season. Their numbers were almost identical! Strayhorn = disappointment?

  20. #60

    Default Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Side note:

    It has been my experience that most decent teams feel like they can win the championship, even when it's not realistic. Has that been your experience?
    Something about 43 miles comes to mind...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •