Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,515
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    78500

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    He's actually the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes of the NHL, not the Panthers, but your point still stands. It's a shame that the AAF basically turned into WFL v.2.0 with the way they've suspended operations in the middle of a season.
    Gardner, Watson, etc., probably time to move on from football, nothing wrong with that. I've known guys who played in the NFL, their bodies aren't in good shape today. These guys hopefully have their health, no reason to be knocking around bad minor leagues in hopes of being on an NFL practice squad, unless one is totally in it for the money, which I also understand. The NFL has a free development league: the NCAA. They'll stick with that. The coaching is usually better in the NCAA than these other leagues ... lots of old retreads, which the game has passed them by (Erickson, Riley, Neuheisel).

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Grandview, WA
    Posts
    25,142
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Gardner, Watson, etc., probably time to move on from football, nothing wrong with that. I've known guys who played in the NFL, their bodies aren't in good shape today. These guys hopefully have their health, no reason to be knocking around bad minor leagues in hopes of being on an NFL practice squad, unless one is totally in it for the money, which I also understand. The NFL has a free development league: the NCAA. They'll stick with that. The coaching is usually better in the NCAA than these other leagues ... lots of old retreads, which the game has passed them by (Erickson, Riley, Neuheisel).
    I prefer the idea of the NFL having a minor league like baseball does and treat college football the same way that college baseball is treated. That way the kids that want education can get it and those looking for money can just go straight to the minors and take a shot. This way they actually get paid for beating the crap out of themselves.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by IronOre View Post
    I prefer the idea of the NFL having a minor league like baseball does and treat college football the same way that college baseball is treated. That way the kids that want education can get it and those looking for money can just go straight to the minors and take a shot. This way they actually get paid for beating the crap out of themselves.
    Agree 100%, but it seems like the $20M college coach is on the horizon and nothing will change.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Grandview, WA
    Posts
    25,142
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Agree 100%, but it seems like the $20M college coach is on the horizon and nothing will change.
    Really, all college football should be about the D2 level. Any coach being a state's highest paid employee aint right.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by IronOre View Post
    Really, all college football should be about the D2 level. Any coach being a state's highest paid employee aint right.
    It's insane, WSU is projected to be $85M in athletic debt in a couple years, but somehow found the dough to buyout their hoop coach to the tune of $4.2M, and hire another one at $1.4M for six years. My bad math says somewhere around $12.6M for that total package. Ugh! WSU is paying an awful baseball coach $300K to get last in the league and play in front of 400 people a game, if that. They just snapped a 12-game losing streak, dude is awful (unfortunately, a WOU grad, but he's not good).

    I kind of get the hoop thing, but can't you get a baseball coach for half that? Supply outweighs demand in coaching ... though collegiate athletics long ago dumped basic economic principles.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    19,636
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    It's insane, WSU is projected to be $85M in athletic debt in a couple years, but somehow found the dough to buyout their hoop coach to the tune of $4.2M, and hire another one at $1.4M for six years. My bad math says somewhere around $12.6M for that total package. Ugh! WSU is paying an awful baseball coach $300K to get last in the league and play in front of 400 people a game, if that. They just snapped a 12-game losing streak, dude is awful (unfortunately, a WOU grad, but he's not good).

    I kind of get the hoop thing, but can't you get a baseball coach for half that? Supply outweighs demand in coaching ... though collegiate athletics long ago dumped basic economic principles.
    Their hoops is second fiddle in the area too to Gonzaga. This year's Gonzaga recruiting class has 2 4 star recruits from Eastern Washington in Spokane and Kittitas. They also have a private jet, which no Pac-12 school has to help in recruiting. WSU has no chance at getting players like Anton Watson and Brock Ravet at the moment, which makes what Gonzaga built all the more impressive from where they were in 1999.

    In baseball they used to be such a good program too, but not the level that OSU is currently on. Since Bobo Brayton, only 1 coach has had a .500 record at WSU compared to his .689 career win percentage. At least WSU's football is relevant again as it had been such a drought after Mike Price.

  7. Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Gardner, Watson, etc., probably time to move on from football, nothing wrong with that. I've known guys who played in the NFL, their bodies aren't in good shape today. These guys hopefully have their health, no reason to be knocking around bad minor leagues in hopes of being on an NFL practice squad, unless one is totally in it for the money, which I also understand. The NFL has a free development league: the NCAA. They'll stick with that. The coaching is usually better in the NCAA than these other leagues ... lots of old retreads, which the game has passed them by (Erickson, Riley, Neuheisel).
    If they want to try their hand at the Dubya Dubya E, it looks like ole' Vince is hiring:

    https://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-t...r-aaf-players/

  8. #28

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    Their hoops is second fiddle in the area too to Gonzaga. This year's Gonzaga recruiting class has 2 4 star recruits from Eastern Washington in Spokane and Kittitas. They also have a private jet, which no Pac-12 school has to help in recruiting. WSU has no chance at getting players like Anton Watson and Brock Ravet at the moment, which makes what Gonzaga built all the more impressive from where they were in 1999.

    In baseball they used to be such a good program too, but not the level that OSU is currently on. Since Bobo Brayton, only 1 coach has had a .500 record at WSU compared to his .689 career win percentage. At least WSU's football is relevant again as it had been such a drought after Mike Price.
    I'ma WSU fan and know if you make wrong hires, you won't win. They won't get many from in-state, even the Bennetts were rebuffed by Washington kids, though Tony won well in Pullman with guys from around the country and overseas. It can be done, but only if the new hire is the right hire. AAU coaches in Seattle tell kids to not go to WSU as well as Zags, oddly. They tell them it's the sticks and when Romar was coaching they loved him because he was putting kids in the league, even though he was losing like crazy.

    WSU's debt is killing them right now. Last A.D. buried them.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    19,636
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    I'ma WSU fan and know if you make wrong hires, you won't win. They won't get many from in-state, even the Bennetts were rebuffed by Washington kids, though Tony won well in Pullman with guys from around the country and overseas. It can be done, but only if the new hire is the right hire. AAU coaches in Seattle tell kids to not go to WSU as well as Zags, oddly. They tell them it's the sticks and when Romar was coaching they loved him because he was putting kids in the league, even though he was losing like crazy.

    WSU's debt is killing them right now. Last A.D. buried them.
    Spokane the sticks.... city of over half a million people is the sticks. Sadly that isn't all that uncommon, I had a TSA agent at SeaTac surprised Pasco has an airport with TSA and high tech equipment and not just metal detectors and thought the only flight would be to Seattle. It is very common in Seattle to think all of Eastern Washington is just farms and no cities at all despite three areas over 200k people. I will say though that Eastern Oregon fits their view of Eastern Washington.

    Now if they said CWU or WSU were in the sticks and not include Gonzaga and EWU, that is a bit true although at least CWU has an Interstate it is off of. WSU doesn't even have that.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Yeah, my North Idaho friend moved to Seattle years ago and started calling anything past North Bend "eastern Washington." Drove me nuts. I kept correcting him, Ellensburg, Tri-Cities, Wenatchee, etc., is in central Washington, check the map. He kept calling Yakima "eastern Washington" -- which is insane. Walla Walla, Pullman, Pomery, Cheney, Spokane, Ritzville, Garfield, etc., is eastern Washington.

    Regarding airports, Pasco is in a metro area of 300K plus, I would hope they would have even a small, viable airport. I get the geographical ignorance in the 70's, 80's, etc., pre-internet, but not today.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    19,636
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Yeah, my North Idaho friend moved to Seattle years ago and started calling anything past North Bend "eastern Washington." Drove me nuts. I kept correcting him, Ellensburg, Tri-Cities, Wenatchee, etc., is in central Washington, check the map. He kept calling Yakima "eastern Washington" -- which is insane. Walla Walla, Pullman, Pomery, Cheney, Spokane, Ritzville, Garfield, etc., is eastern Washington.

    Regarding airports, Pasco is in a metro area of 300K plus, I would hope they would have even a small, viable airport. I get the geographical ignorance in the 70's, 80's, etc., pre-internet, but not today.
    Definitely a viable airport. We just got a daily flight to LAX last month with Delta and United both flying to 3 different cities. Non-daily flights to Phoenix and Las Vegas on top of that and I would hope on top of that 7 high schools in the metro area would give a clue to the size. I know through work i had people come over surprised at the size when they visited from Seattle, but also had a manager from Seattle that loved that he could have a quick flight compared to a long drive.

    It is still surprising that we don't have a University of our own here yet, but that could also be due to the quick growth post WWII of the area. I remember though, people thought of Boise as all farm land too when it started growing fast and having the same misconceptions with even a Richard Pyror movie about moving there and making it look like a hick town.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    Definitely a viable airport. We just got a daily flight to LAX last month with Delta and United both flying to 3 different cities. Non-daily flights to Phoenix and Las Vegas on top of that and I would hope on top of that 7 high schools in the metro area would give a clue to the size. I know through work i had people come over surprised at the size when they visited from Seattle, but also had a manager from Seattle that loved that he could have a quick flight compared to a long drive.

    It is still surprising that we don't have a University of our own here yet, but that could also be due to the quick growth post WWII of the area. I remember though, people thought of Boise as all farm land too when it started growing fast and having the same misconceptions with even a Richard Pyror movie about moving there and making it look like a hick town.
    Great post. What's interesting is WSU-Tri-Cities hasn't taken off. WSU-Vancouver has grown dramatically. I know some higher ups on the Pullman campus and the word out is the Tri-Cities campus just struggles. Perhaps they don't market it well enough, not sure. I'm not sure where it's located (Kennewick?), but that should be a fairly large campus like UW-Tacoma, WSU-Vancouver, etc. The degree from all the branch campuses still says "Washington State University" and without the hyphen.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Grandview, WA
    Posts
    25,142
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    Definitely a viable airport. We just got a daily flight to LAX last month with Delta and United both flying to 3 different cities. Non-daily flights to Phoenix and Las Vegas on top of that and I would hope on top of that 7 high schools in the metro area would give a clue to the size. I know through work i had people come over surprised at the size when they visited from Seattle, but also had a manager from Seattle that loved that he could have a quick flight compared to a long drive.

    It is still surprising that we don't have a University of our own here yet, but that could also be due to the quick growth post WWII of the area. I remember though, people thought of Boise as all farm land too when it started growing fast and having the same misconceptions with even a Richard Pyror movie about moving there and making it look like a hick town.
    I've never been to a game at Azusa, the direct flight makes it a bit appealing. However, it's on United and they generally stink.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    19,636
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Great post. What's interesting is WSU-Tri-Cities hasn't taken off. WSU-Vancouver has grown dramatically. I know some higher ups on the Pullman campus and the word out is the Tri-Cities campus just struggles. Perhaps they don't market it well enough, not sure. I'm not sure where it's located (Kennewick?), but that should be a fairly large campus like UW-Tacoma, WSU-Vancouver, etc. The degree from all the branch campuses still says "Washington State University" and without the hyphen.
    It's in Richland out by Hanford, but I agree that there is very little promoting of it locally. CBC gets a lot more promotional information locally and may have a larger campus. I looked up the degrees they offer and the majority are Engineering, which makes sense right by PNNL and Hanford.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    19,636
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Gardner, Thornton, Watson, Kitna on San Diego Fleet

    Quote Originally Posted by IronOre View Post
    I've never been to a game at Azusa, the direct flight makes it a bit appealing. However, it's on United and they generally stink.
    Agreed on both counts! I also doubt they'll bring in their main line fleet seasonally like Delta does which means even less comfort. I also found they usually have one flight attendant, not 2 on the regional planes like Delta and only paid snacks.

    Back on topic... I feel sorry for the players in Memphis that came back to their hotel to find all their luggage in the lobby because the league's checks for their rooms had bounced.
    Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 04-05-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •