Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Would YOU Consider the Top 5 Coaching Positions in NCAA DII Football

Default What Would YOU Consider the Top 5 Coaching Positions in NCAA DII Football

Just read Gene Frenette's article on D2 HomePage about Valdosta State's HC Kerwin Bell, "Bell Rebounds From JU (Jacksonville State) Divorce, Leads Valdosta State Back To Prominence". Great story. Of course, I stole my thread title from a comment Bell mentioned in the story, that being at Valdosta State in DII Football is like being at a Ohio State of the Big Ten, or Florida of the SEC. Interesting.

So curious, what would YOU consider to be the Top Five head coaching positions in NCAA DII? Throw in a couple Honorable Mentions if you want.
    Last edited by ZubCat81; 12-16-2018 at 02:02 AM.

Default Re: What Would YOU Consider the Top 5 Coaching Positions in NCAA DII Footba

Grand Valley has to be at or near the top of the list.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Default Re: What Would YOU Consider the Top 5 Coaching Positions in NCAA DII Footba

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Grand Valley has to be at or near the top of the list.
    Grand Valley, Valdosta, NW Missouri

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SVSU View Post
    Grand Valley, Valdosta, NW Missouri
    These three along with Pitt State and either IUP or TAMUK would be mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    Overall TAMUK might be the team historically. But recently, TAMC, has been a much stronger and more consistent team. Kingsville has 27 LSC Championships to Commerce’s 23.

I would think UMD would deserve consideration.

It's going to take moving a mountain to get TAMUK back into the category.

I hope it happens sooner rather than later. We have a new AD and new President and they need to get to work and fast. When I see construction trailers and equipment around the stadium, I will be on board. Until then I don't hold out much hope this program will ever been in a situation to compete against our conference counterparts who are spending millions on new facilites or upgrades while we sit on our ass and hope history continues to see us through the storm. Yes it's discouraging as heck for lack of a better way to put it.

GVSU, NWMS, VSU, UWG, PItt St.
    West GA has great facilities and recruiting base so I would add them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deanmachine View Post
    GVSU, NWMS, VSU, UWG, PItt St.
    West GA has great facilities and recruiting base so I would add them.
    Not yet. They haven’t even made it to the NC game yet. Using your criteria, UWF is already quite a bit ahead of them. Definitely a good job, but not Top 5 in terms of prestige, imo. Maybe Dean will change that, although it looks like VSU is the team to beat the next couple years.

What makes a Top 5 coaching job??? Money? Location? Prestige of program? Great fan base? Cooperative administration? Nice office? Great facilities? Pretty unis?

Not yet. They haven’t even made it to the NC game yet. Using your criteria, UWF is already quite a bit ahead of them. Definitely a good job, but not Top 5 in terms of prestige, imo. Maybe Dean will change that, although it looks like VSU is the team to beat the next couple years.
    I agree with Ian. Based on what I saw from the stands VSU is set for the next couple of years. If their defense improves, they’ll be unstoppable next and beyond. Wells had his pick of receivers on just about every pass play. Unbelievable speed for D2.

Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    What makes a Top 5 coaching job??? Money? Location? Prestige of program? Great fan base? Cooperative administration? Nice office? Great facilities? Pretty unis?
    Most of those are probably key components. Cooperative administration and supportive alumni/fan base is very important. Great facilities and location helps with recruiting. Is there ever enough money? Prestige of the program is important. But it is also easy to lose.

As discussed earlier, Texas A&I/A&M Kingsville was a prestige program for decades. But this last decade the prestige has become a bit tarnished. The band barely knows how to play Jalisco anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by UNA_Texan View Post
    The band barely knows how to play Jalisco anymore.

Or, "El rey."

Grand Valley, Valdosta, NW Missouri, Pitt St are for sure

The 5th spot is a toss up and is probably more to do with their importance in developing young men in their regions
    FL Tech
    CSU - Pueblo
    Ferris
    IUP

Just look what became of Jayru Campbell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldBison View Post
    I agree with Ian. Based on what I saw from the stands VSU is set for the next couple of years. If their defense improves, they’ll be unstoppable next and beyond. Wells had his pick of receivers on just about every pass play. Unbelievable speed for D2.
    What’s most impressive to me is they got that talent despite UGA being one of the top programs in FBS and even UCF cleaning up on the Florida talent. Usually the FBS team has to down for those guys to trickle to D2

15. Default Re: What Would YOU Consider the Top 5 Coaching Positions in NCAA DII Footba

What’s most impressive to me is they got that talent despite UGA being one of the top programs in FBS and even UCF cleaning up on the Florida talent. Usually the FBS team has to down for those guys to trickle to D2
    There is a ton of talent in GA and FL, a lot of great talent that is either undersized or a tad slow for D1 or grades not quite up to D1 standards that could and should be filling up the D2 ranks in that region. Looked like UWF was doing that quickly last year.

Can’t leave out Minnesota State Mankato in this conversation. They either make the NC game or get to the semifinals like every year this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8ness97 View Post
    Can’t leave out Minnesota State Mankato in this conversation. They either make the NC game or get to the semifinals like every year this decade.
    For the record, they've made it to the championship once this decade, which is the same number of times they've made it ever.

I feel like the top 4 are obvious, and a case can be made for about a handful of schools to fit for that 5th spot... but those schools just aren't in that same class. TAMUK and IUP have the best case if tradition can be counted on to help you bounce back... i.e. Notre Dame was trash, but they got a good coach because it was Notre Dame and turned it around. Alabama was bad for a period, and so was Ohio State. But they bounced back.

Others like W. Florida and W.GA, they're like TCU, Baylor, Oregon, and more recently Clemson. Facilities and money and they are up at the top, but is it sustainable?

If you aren't on the list of champions, you aren't really in the conversation of best places to land in DII. There's only a handful of schools most people have even heard of outside of their areas:
    Tuskegee because of its history
    C.W. Post (now LIU Post) because of cereal
    Slippery Rock because in the 70's and 80's they reported their score in the halftime report (a tradition that goes back further and is actually pretty interesting),
    Winston-Salem because of cigarettes

When I think "best coaching positions" I think of places that have the infrastructure and resources for success, the least amount of barriers to be successful, the best facilities already available to them, and the best recruiting area around the school.

With that said, I would go with:

Grand Valley State
    NW Missouri State
    West Texas A&M
    Valdosta State
    Pittsburg State

Quote Originally Posted by UNA_Texan View Post
    Most of those are probably key components. Cooperative administration and supportive alumni/fan base is very important. Great facilities and location helps with recruiting. Is there ever enough money? Prestige of the program is important. But it is also easy to lose.

As discussed earlier, Texas A&I/A&M Kingsville was a prestige program for decades. But this last decade the prestige has become a bit tarnished. The band barely knows how to play Jalisco anymore.
    Oh they know Jalisco and still play it. Mostly to fill in a 3/4 empty stadium (15,000 capacity) with some background noise.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8ness97 View Post
    Not every year. They got beat in the first round by Emporia State in 2015 in Mankato.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast