Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - CSP adds varsity eSports

Default OT - CSP adds varsity eSports

I'm only sharing this because the new program is being organized as a varsity athletic team. CSP becomes the second school in the NSIC to do this, behind Upper Iowa. I would imagine many other NSIC schools will follow suit in the next 2-3 years.

https://online.csp.edu/blog/news/esp...letics-program
    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 12-14-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Default Re: OT - CSP adds varsity eSports

Quote Originally Posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    I am sharing this because CSP is going to organize their new eSports team as a varsity athletic program. They will become the second NSIC school to do so (UIU). I would expect to see other NSIC programs following suit in the near future.

https://online.csp.edu/blog/news/esp...letics-program
    Flex those thumbs! Do they have a specific/specialized S&C coach for their activity? Do they offer scholarships? Where does a coach find these fine-tuned digital dynamos? Is it co-ed? Do I give a rat's a**? Not after this .

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    Flex those thumbs! Do they have a specific/specialized S&C coach for their activity? Do they offer scholarships? Where does a coach find these fine-tuned digital dynamos? Is it co-ed? Do I give a rat's a**? Not after this .
    Aren't you the one on here who gets all touchy and super sensitive when anyone says anything even remotely negative about NSIC programs and/or their athletes? Or am I mixing you up with someone else? Just seems funny to me that you have no problem mocking these kids and this idea but can't handle someone making a joke about the likelihood of a bad program losing to a good program in a football pick 'em chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    Clearly you do, since you took the time and effort to voice your displeasure.

Thanks for playing, though.

NAIA Midland I Nebraska has esports too

Quote Originally Posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    NAIA Midland I Nebraska has esports too
    Apparently, the NACE is partnered with both the NAIA and NJCCA in an official manner. Midland is apart of this too as it appears, here's a list of all the affiliate schools:

https://nacesports.org/school-directory/

Very cool. I'm not a big fan of the games they play but it takes some serious time and effort. Bet MSU gets a team going quite quickly

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Very cool. I'm not a big fan of the games they play but it takes some serious time and effort. Bet MSU gets a team going quite quickly
    It's crazy intense. The time and effort required is quite insane. Not only that, but there's been a big push to get these guys into the gym too - can't expect to be competitive if a player's body isn't in shape.

Given the low cost, few barriers of entry, educational opportunities, and the NCAA's current lack of involvement, I think this will spread like wildfire. MSU would be a great candidate too.

Quote Originally Posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Clearly you do, since you took the time and effort to voice your displeasure.

Thanks for playing, though.
    I think it’s a tough concept for a lot of people to understand that people are getting paid (or at some schools a scholarship) to play video games. But this industry is massive and only will continue to grow. It’s nearly a $1 billion industry. Schools are smart to get in on this.

This is interesting. Wonder how you recruit and how schools will promote it? Is there a stadium in the works? How do you become a spectator and fan of someone playing a video game? So many questions and confusion lol

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleNickels View Post
    This is interesting. Wonder how you recruit and how schools will promote it? Is there a stadium in the works? How do you become a spectator and fan of someone playing a video game? So many questions and confusion lol
    Lots of high schools are already creating esports teams so they’ll just recruit from them or have tryouts for their current students. Big time esports events sell out basketball stadiums and there are events for colleges that draw huge crowds. People can watch on tv or twitch (video game streaming site). This stuff has been going on for quite some time now.

This whole article is a pretty good read on the subject: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshmoo.../#56b1c4722858

So far, it’s mostly small colleges getting in on the action. Comparatively, it’s far cheaper to dive into this emerging market than to develop more expensive traditional programs. The $750,000 Akron plans to spend to develop the largest college esports facility in the country is only a sliver of the cost to build football stadiums that run into hundreds of millions of dollars. Esports offers small schools a chance to level the playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by msumavfan View Post
    Lots of high schools are already creating esports teams so they’ll just recruit from them or have tryouts for their current students. Big time esports events sell out basketball stadiums and there are events for colleges that draw huge crowds. People can watch on tv or twitch (video game streaming site). This stuff has been going on for quite some time now.
    I must really be out of touch! Lol this is all crazy to me! I guess I'll have to try to check it out!

It'll only be a matter of time before CU is hoisting a virtual trophy over their heads and spraying Mountain Dew all over each other in the locker room.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticSportReport View Post
    It'll only be a matter of time before CU is hoisting a virtual trophy over their heads and spraying Mountain Dew all over each other in the locker room.
    I wonder if that will be a hologram?

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I wonder if that will be a hologram?
    Probably. Ready Player One style...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleNickels View Post
    I must really be out of touch! Lol this is all crazy to me! I guess I'll have to try to check it out!
    Yea like I said it’s hard for some people to imagine people getting paid or getting scholarships to play video games but this industry is booming. Colleges and high schools are smart to get in on in

Yea like I said it’s hard for some people to imagine people getting paid or getting scholarships to play video games but this industry is booming. Colleges and high schools are smart to get in on in
    It’s hard for some people to imagine people getting paid or getting scholarships to play sports too....

19. Default Re: OT - CSP adds varsity eSports

I think it’s a tough concept for a lot of people to understand that people are getting paid (or at some schools a scholarship) to play video games. But this industry is massive and only will continue to grow. It’s nearly a $1 billion industry. Schools are smart to get in on this.
    Absolutely. That's definitely a huge barrier. Actually though, most of the comments in the thread have been positive which was surprising. It's grown so fast over the last 5 years it's been impossible to keep up with - I pretty much just stopped trying too.

20. Default Re: OT - CSP adds varsity eSports

I stayed up late to watch the League Worlds back in 2014 - live. I've never played the game and I have no clue what was going on, but they sold 40,000+ tickets.

Granted, it was in South Korea, and their eSports has been the equivalent to our NFL since the old StarCraft days. It's the most popular "sport" they have over there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast