Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Rees

Default Rocky Rees

I am not aware of the details, but I understand Coach Rees is suffering from terminal cancer and is not doing well. There are some updates posted on the Ship Football Facebook page, but not sure if news about his condition has been widely distributed.

Prayers to Rocky and his family during this difficult time.

2. Default Re: Rocky Rees

Best wishes to Coach Rees and his family at this time. He was quite a coach.

-

Default Re: Rocky Rees

Yes, it is esophageal cancer. I played for coach Rees, and retired after his last season, despite having one more year of eligibility. I wasn't a starter, and I had already been accepted to law school. One thing is for sure, as an athlete playing for coach Rees, you knew he cared about you, you knew he expected a lot for you, and you knew he wouldn't let you slack off. I highly respect Coach Rees, and am very appreciative of the influence he has had on my life.

Prayers to Rocky and his family. He has dealt with more than his share of loss in his life.

Blog Entries

Haven't seen any details yet but according to Coach Mac's Twitter feed, Coach Rees has passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
    Haven't seen any details yet but according to Coach Mac's Twitter feed, Coach Rees has passed away.
    He passed away this morning. Mourning together with my Ship teammates, coaching staff, alumni and fans. But we’re also celebrating the life, memories, impact and legacy left behind by a man that loved football, gave his whole life to it, and was committed to caring for and nurturing reckless boys into responsible young men. I’m truly honored to have played football for Coach Rees.

It makes me reflect back on one of my teammates passing about 3 years ago. Corey Hunt died of cancer, probably around age 26, after a long battle. Although the funeral was in Maryland, Coach Rees retired several years earlier and wasn’t in the best physical condition, he wouldn’t miss that funeral. We had scores of teammates there, mourning our loss. And Coach Rees, although no longer the head coach, was a comforting presence and shared peaceful words with all.

I can’t imagine how painful this has to be for his family, so I join in praying for them for peace and comfort. While it has to be tough this close to Christmas, I hope the togetherness of family brings solace.
    Last edited by shiplb54; 12-21-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Here is the release from Ship sports information.

Shippensburg University Mourns the Loss of Former Head Coach Rocky Rees

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
    Here is the release from Ship sports information.

Shippensburg University Mourns the Loss of Former Head Coach Rocky Rees
    Thanks for that—he passed away last night, not this morning.

A commemorative photo gallery: https://shipraiders.com/galleries/?gallery=1702

RIP to a fine gentleman. shiplb54, I'm sorry personally for your loss.

With Rees' passing, the only surviving Shippensburg head football coaches are Mark Maciejewski and Joe Bottiglieri (1986-89, now an assistant at Wesley).

Public opinion article on Coach Rees’ passing.
    https://www.publicopiniononline.com/...69/2386661002/

Quote Originally Posted by shiplb54 View Post
    Public opinion article on Coach Rees’ passing.
    https://www.publicopiniononline.com/...69/2386661002/
    You have my condolences shiplb54. It's hard to lose somebody like that who influenced you so much. He made an impact and I believe that is the point to all this.

So sorry for the loss of the Ship community.

A celebration of life will be held for Coach Rees at 1 PM on Saturday, December 29 inside the Luhrs Performing Arts Center. There will be no viewing or visitation prior to the service. A reception will follow.

Danny Hale was close to him. They may have played together at West Chester and coached at Bucknell and Colgate. I think he was the godfather for Hale's son. God bless.
    Last edited by Bart; 12-22-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Danny Hale was close to him. They may have played together at West Chester and coached at Bucknell and Colgate. I think he was the godfather for Hale's son. God bless.
    They just missed each other at West Chester. Hale's last playing year was '67 while Rocky played there '68-'70.

Prayers to Coach Rees' family & the Red Raiders community.

The positive influences these great coaches have on their kids & communities is so long lasting.

We saw Coach Rees' teams many times in Shepherdstown And knew we were in for a battle every time!

God Bless Him

We've lost an inordinate amount of good football coaches and good men over the past decade. Jack Roddick, Dave Dolbin, Gene Eppley, Joe Mark, Vito Ragazzo and now Coach Rees.

The Celebration of Life Ceremony for coach Rees was very nice. There were about 30 guys with whom I played in attendance. There were 4 eulogies, including the last by Coach Mac. While we mourned the loss of such an influential individual, our minds were focused on a life well lived and how to continue his legacy in our own lives.

RIP Coach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast