Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 115

Thread: Angelo making some changes...

  1. #1

    Default Angelo making some changes...

    They let go of their DLine Coach and the LB/Special Teams guy...what this means, I have no idea :P

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Commerce, TX
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    41461

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by spidermac View Post
    They let go of their DLine Coach and the LB/Special Teams guy...what this means, I have no idea :P
    Hmmm... I thought if any changes were made it would be the offensive staff given he was the DC.

  3. Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    I’m curious to see if we end up bringing in a new defensive coordinator. That’d be 3 new coaches on that side of the ball.

    Will be interesting to see how this affects recruiting. I believe coach Love had the Houston area.

    I’m also interested to see if ASU has changed recruiting tactics on scholarship offers. In the past with Wagner we were very selective and had smaller numbers. Will we go juco heavy? I’d love to see some Corners and O-line at semester if possible!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,470
    Rep Power
    54286

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFamAlum View Post
    I’m curious to see if we end up bringing in a new defensive coordinator. That’d be 3 new coaches on that side of the ball.

    Will be interesting to see how this affects recruiting. I believe coach Love had the Houston area.

    I’m also interested to see if ASU has changed recruiting tactics on scholarship offers. In the past with Wagner we were very selective and had smaller numbers. Will we go juco heavy? I’d love to see some Corners and O-line at semester if possible!
    I'm with you on DB's, it was painfully obvious this year and last that we aren't as athletic or talented as other teams in the conference in this area. This year especially, we were VERY SLOW

  5. Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    I’ve heard some good things about a couple freshman DB’s that probably should have played this season but decided to keep their redshirt. Hopefully they can held add some depth and compete to start next season.

    I know we had a few juco recruits on campus this weekend. Usually Angelo State does a really good job at getting commitments once a player visits campus. The issue is GETTING them on campus.

    I’m looking at Girsch to be much more aggresive on the recruiting trail. Expect him to be the face of the program and doing a lot more home visits than what we’ve seen in the past.

    With Colby out, who would you consider to be the best recruiting head coach in the conference? Maskill comes to mind for me. Whitten lands transfer talent like no other. I’m sure they’ll be loading up again this offseason.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,918
    Rep Power
    53808

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    I'm with you on DB's, it was painfully obvious this year and last that we aren't as athletic or talented as other teams in the conference in this area. This year especially, we were VERY SLOW
    Agree

    I am still scratching my head. All I heard all season was how bad the offense was & how great the defense was......I DID NOT & DO NOT share that sentiment.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    I guess he believed the defense was the issue? Is he firing himself as the coordinator and bringing someone else in?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,918
    Rep Power
    53808

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by DIIguru View Post
    I guess he believed the defense was the issue? Is he firing himself as the coordinator and bringing someone else in?
    If this is was the issue, why release Wag instead of Girsch?

  9. Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    I think he just wants his own guys. Think about it, he was with other 2 guys every day. There must have been something there where he wanted to make a change.

    I also know Coach Love was a Northwest guy like Wagner. Maybe there was some animosity when he got fired and Girsch didn’t see him ALL IN for him.

    Will be interesting to see who he does bring in. In an ideal world I would want Girsch to call the defense this next season and transition it to another guy after that. But if he can find the right person to run his system, I have a feeling he’ll let them call it this next season.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    portales, nm
    Posts
    4,530
    Rep Power
    280656

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFamAlum View Post
    I think he just wants his own guys. Think about it, he was with other 2 guys every day. There must have been something there where he wanted to make a change.

    I also know Coach Love was a Northwest guy like Wagner. Maybe there was some animosity when he got fired and Girsch didn’t see him ALL IN for him.

    Will be interesting to see who he does bring in. In an ideal world I would want Girsch to call the defense this next season and transition it to another guy after that. But if he can find the right person to run his system, I have a feeling he’ll let them call it this next season.
    I dont know the rush of some coaches to abandon their play calling duties.

    I get that they have to see the whole game but they still can run the side of the ball they are good at, put someone up in the booth thats a good pointman and run your stuff.

    Kelley lee has maintained calling the offense, as do several other coaches, i dont understand why so many DCs want to delegate it once they get a head position.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,918
    Rep Power
    53808

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    I dont know the rush of some coaches to abandon their play calling duties.

    I get that they have to see the whole game but they still can run the side of the ball they are good at, put someone up in the booth thats a good pointman and run your stuff.

    Kelley lee has maintained calling the offense, as do several other coaches, i dont understand why so many DCs want to delegate it once they get a head position.
    Whereas I agree, I would imagine the added duties of the HC can hamper preparation as a coordinator.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,918
    Rep Power
    53808

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFamAlum View Post
    I think he just wants his own guys. Think about it, he was with other 2 guys every day. There must have been something there where he wanted to make a change.

    I also know Coach Love was a Northwest guy like Wagner. Maybe there was some animosity when he got fired and Girsch didn’t see him ALL IN for him.

    Will be interesting to see who he does bring in. In an ideal world I would want Girsch to call the defense this next season and transition it to another guy after that. But if he can find the right person to run his system, I have a feeling he’ll let them call it this next season.
    Yes it will.

    Hearing anything regarding OC?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFamAlum View Post
    I think he just wants his own guys. Think about it, he was with other 2 guys every day. There must have been something there where he wanted to make a change.

    I also know Coach Love was a Northwest guy like Wagner. Maybe there was some animosity when he got fired and Girsch didn’t see him ALL IN for him.

    Will be interesting to see who he does bring in. In an ideal world I would want Girsch to call the defense this next season and transition it to another guy after that. But if he can find the right person to run his system, I have a feeling he’ll let them call it this next season.
    My feeling is that Girsch doesn't want to lose coaches and if he could, he would still be the call the defenses. From watching him, that is who he is. At the same time, during the year ASU had a total of 7 full time, paid coaches:

    HC
    DC, with two defensive position coaches (D-Line and LB/Special teams)
    OC, with two offensive position coaches (O-Line and Receivers)

    I think he would be happy to keep 7 full-time, paid coaches with the following deployment of those coaches:
    HC/DC (him)
    DC, with two or three position coaches (add a DB coach) (this is the preferred) OR
    OC, with two or three position coaches (add a RB coach)

    I think what he is wanting to avoid is him just assuming Wagner's duties AND keeping all the DC duties. That, in essence, would mean trying to get better with fewer coaches. I don't think that is a recipe for success.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,470
    Rep Power
    54286

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by texcap View Post
    My feeling is that Girsch doesn't want to lose coaches and if he could, he would still be the call the defenses. From watching him, that is who he is. At the same time, during the year ASU had a total of 7 full time, paid coaches:

    HC
    DC, with two defensive position coaches (D-Line and LB/Special teams)
    OC, with two offensive position coaches (O-Line and Receivers)

    I think he would be happy to keep 7 full-time, paid coaches with the following deployment of those coaches:
    HC/DC (him)
    DC, with two or three position coaches (add a DB coach) (this is the preferred) OR
    OC, with two or three position coaches (add a RB coach)

    I think what he is wanting to avoid is him just assuming Wagner's duties AND keeping all the DC duties. That, in essence, would mean trying to get better with fewer coaches. I don't think that is a recipe for success.
    Maybe someone with more information regarding public records and stuff can help me out, but based on this statement that ASU has 7 paid coaches, I looked at Commerce's roster and they had about 20 coaches listed. Obviously some of those are GA's and such, but anyone know how many "PAID REAL COACHES" other teams around the conference have on staff? What is the D2 limit?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,470
    Rep Power
    54286

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Looks like our DL is going to look very different next year than it did this year. Not only are we losing Harlon Hill candidate and 1st team All American Markus Jones, but Bright Ihegworo announced on Twitter today that he is graduating tomorrow and transferring and will be eligible to play next season as a grad transfer. I'm sure there will be more movement as a lot of players had a ton of respect personally for Coach Wagner

  16. #16

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Angelo State hires Adam Clark away from Tarleton. He was previously the HC at WNM.

    Excellent move by ASU IMO. Should at least shore up the DLine.

  17. Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    https://twitter.com/coachadamclark/s...070151682?s=21

    Looks like Clark will call the Defense! I like the hire a lot!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFamAlum View Post
    https://twitter.com/coachadamclark/s...070151682?s=21

    Looks like Clark will call the Defense! I like the hire a lot!
    Great hire by Angelo.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,470
    Rep Power
    54286

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by TexanFan View Post
    Great hire by Angelo.
    This makes a lot more sense seeing as how Clark played at St. Ambrose, most likely while Girsch was on staff. Gives some background as to the connection

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,918
    Rep Power
    53808

    Default Re: Angelo making some changes...

    Where is the DB help???

    Where is the help to stop teams from killing the Rams with the over the middle pass???

    Where is THE GUY that will bring complete discipline to this team???

    Where is THE GUY that will FIX the mental, emotional, and motivational factors of the players???

    That's my concern. Because THAT GUY is not on campus.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •