Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WAAAAAAYYYY too early Regional Rankings

Default Re: WAAAAAAYYYY too early Regional Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    I can tell you St. Cloud played very well, in my opinion, on Saturday night against Moorhead. I think moorhead’s Lack of defense was a part of story, but St. Cloud looked very good.
    That's because Sean Smith decided to show up. Don't get me wrong, I love him to death, but he has had some real clunkers this year that has cost SCSU games. I just don't see enough consistency on their part to put together a series of games. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid I'm not.

He was very good. He and diamond 4-4 from three and smith 11-11 from line...don’t believe they lose too many if that is the case going forward. Did think refs called a few soft ones against Moorhead, not that it mattered in the outcome.

3. Default Re: WAAAAAAYYYY too early Regional Rankings

He was very good. He and diamond 4-4 from three and smith 11-11 from line...don’t believe they lose too many if that is the case going forward. Did think refs called a few soft ones against Moorhead, not that it mattered in the outcome.
    How about in the 2nd half after Chad was up screaming at Hollywood to get Marshall off of Irsfeld as he was bringing the ball up the floor. Hollywood proceeds to call 4 in a row against SCSU and on one of them even Chad had to just sit down with a smile on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    How about in the 2nd half after Chad was up screaming at Hollywood to get Marshall off of Irsfeld as he was bringing the ball up the floor. Hollywood proceeds to call 4 in a row against SCSU and on one of them even Chad had to just sit down with a smile on his face.
    Yea that was because the fouls were 21-7 in favor of scsu prior to that point....although scsu was being more aggressive so they definitely deserved more calls.

Quote Originally Posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    WalTThall got Pat Baschault and tried to interrupt the show? Man that dude tries to ruin everything. Chad, please, let the man show off his spray tan and do his theatrics without interruption. I truly wish Baschault did every Augie game.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    NSIC:

There's no locks here yet. Certainly Northern State (15-5) is sitting pretty at this point in time. I doubt any of us predict they'll fall apart, but are they without Ian Smith for a while?

Will this well-balanced league result in a bunch of teams right around the 20-10 mark? It sort of seems that way. If so, two or three teams are staying home that probably feel they have the same resume' as two or three that get in.

Prediction: 3 NSIC teams get in, but 4 seems like a long shot. You need SNU to win the GAC tourney, and no other surprises in the NSIC and MIAA, and several MIAA teams to be average the rest of the way.
    I think we can safely remove Augie, USF, and Moorhead from at-large consideration and place them in the "must win NSIC tourney" category.

That leaves Northern, Mankato, Wayne, and St Cloud (boosted by non-conf wins over MoSo and Point Loma) in the mix.

As other have alluded this will be the most wide open (especially if Ian Smith's unfortunate injury lingers) NSIC Tourney since 2012 so the neutrality of the Pentagon's nets will be more critical than ever.

The MIAA: NW a lock at this point and favorite to host. Lincoln, Washburn and Southern in the mix. Pitt St. had a bad loss at MW today and has 1 win against top half of MIAA with 4 games against FHSU and Southern remaining. They need to win all 4 and probably win MIAA Tourney. FHSU in same boat with 1 win against top half, but 6 of last 8 against top half. They had a bad loss at Kearney today.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    The MIAA: NW a lock at this point and favorite to host. Lincoln, Washburn and Southern in the mix. Pitt St. had a bad loss at MW today and has 1 win against top half of MIAA with 4 games against FHSU and Southern remaining. They need to win all 4 and probably win MIAA Tourney. FHSU in same boat with 1 win against top half, but 6 of last 8 against top half. They had a bad loss at Kearney today.
    If you lose to UNK you don’t deserve to make the regional.

There are 10 teams that still have the possibility of playing their way in during the regular season.

MIAA: NWMSU, Mo Southern, Washburn, Lincoln

NSIC: NSU, Wayne, SCSU, Mankato, USF (no room for error)

GAC: Southern Nazarene

There are others that could get hot and win a conference tourney and only 1 of the teams I’ve listed are guaranteed a spot as of now but I think these are clearly the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    There are 10 teams that still have the possibility of playing their way in during the regular season.

MIAA: NWMSU, Mo Southern, Washburn, Lincoln

NSIC: NSU, Wayne, SCSU, Mankato, USF (no room for error)

GAC: Southern Nazarene

There are others that could get hot and win a conference tourney and only 1 of the teams I’ve listed are guaranteed a spot as of now but I think these are clearly the top 10.
    I’m not so sure Moorhead is completely out of question. If they can win all their remaining conference games, which I understand is a long shot, they would finish 16-6. Their weaker nonconference schedule is not helpful. However, if Moorhead could find a way to win out...I am going to assume, for sake of argument, they would be at least tied for a third place regular season record in the conference. In addition they would be 1-0 against Wayne and USF, and 1-1 against scsu and northern. The one point loss at Mankato is really tough now looking at possible future standings. In addition, winning out and/or a deep run in tournament could still give Msum a chance for an at large bid. The more I see this Moorhead team, the more I believe they have one of better offenses in league....and unfortunately, one of the lesser defenses. I do understand the Vegas odds makers would likely bet on Moorhead to miss the tournament at this point. Win both next weekend at home and the odds would definitely rise. Regardless, this team has surpassed my preseason expectations, so it will be hard to complain too much...even though I’m sure I’ll try anyway.
    Last edited by Moorhead123; 02-03-2019 at 01:49 AM.

I’m not so sure Moorhead is completely out of question. If they can win all their remaining conference games, which I understand is a long shot, they would finish 16-6. Their weaker nonconference schedule is not helpful. However, if Moorhead could find a way to win out...I am going to assume, for sake of argument, they would be at least tied for a third place regular season record in the conference. In addition they would be 1-0 against Wayne and USF, and 1-1 against scsu and northern. The one point loss at Mankato is really tough now looking at possible future standings. In addition, winning out and/or a deep run in tournament could still give Msum a chance for an at large bid. The more I see this Moorhead team, the more I believe they have one of better offenses in league....and unfortunately, one of the lesser defenses. I do understand the Vegas odds makers would likely bet on Moorhead to miss the tournament at this point. Win both next weekend at home and the odds would definitely rise. Regardless, this team has surpassed my preseason expectations, so it will be hard to complain too much...even though I’m sure I’ll try anyway.
    All in fun but...Simon Fraser had a nice upset win tonight to move to 10-10 on the year, 4-8 in conference play.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    All in fun but...Simon Fraser had a nice upset win tonight to move to 10-10 on the year, 4-8 in conference play.
    Yea that one hurts...but at their place in Vancouver and second night of back to back early in season. Most years a team in nsic going 23-9 overall and 16-6 in nsic would get you in, even with a couple bad losses.

Yeah, I guess Moorhead still has the possibility of getting in without winning the tourney, but I would have Pitt St and Ft Hays ahead of them at this point. I would guess MSUM would need to win 9 in a row to get in without winning it all in SF.

Yeah, I guess Moorhead still has the possibility of getting in without winning the tourney, but I would have Pitt St and Ft Hays ahead of them at this point. I would guess MSUM would need to win 9 in a row to get in without winning it all in SF.
    Understand they are long shot, but my expectation before season was that they likely have no shot this late in season.

Fort Hayes currently 13-7 with 20 point loss to USF and 11 point loss to SMNU. And recent loss to Nebraska Kearny, who Wayne state destroyed...I like Msum chances over fort Hayes

Updated PI rankings in the General Discussion thread:

1. NW
    2. Washburn
    3. Southern Nazarene
    4. Northern St.
    5. MO Southern
    6. Lincoln
    7. St. Cloud
    8. Southern Arkansas
    9. Wayne St.
    10. Minnesota Mankato

Ft. Hays, SE Oklahoma, East Central, Henderson St, Moorhead

Simon Fraser with back to back wins over #13 (on road) and #24 teams in country. All of a sudden Moorhead’s loss to them doesn’t look as bad at all.

Simon Fraser with back to back wins over #13 (on road) and #24 teams in country. All of a sudden Moorhead’s loss to them doesn’t look as bad at all.
    And yet still 12-10 with a losing record in the conference. It helps, but not much. However, congrats to Simon Fraser on giving themselves a chance at their first winning season in probably 15 to 20 years. (I dont actually know I just know I've never seen it)

Also raises the point that the national rankings are kind of a joke. Damn near impossible that there are no NSIC teams in the top 25.

And yet still 12-10 with a losing record in the conference. It helps, but not much. However, congrats to Simon Fraser on giving themselves a chance at their first winning season in probably 15 to 20 years. (I dont actually know I just know I've never seen it)
    If I recall correctly, Crookston, another team with a losing conference record, recently gave the mighty wolves everything they could handle on the wolves home floor.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast