Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Allen HS Kyler Murray Wins Heisman

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Allen HS Kyler Murray Wins Heisman

In some ways we are lucky here in KC that the weather makes baseball nearly impossible from mid October to late March. Our hitters aren't as good as the kids in Texas who can play all year but the pitchers are much healthier. There is a saying in the college ranks about going south for position players and north for pitchers. Most of our kids don't leave their fastball on the East Cobb diamond.

Some young men are super jocks. They play football, basketball, and baseball (or some combo of year round sports). And when they are not playing organized ball, they are playing street ball. They are active EVERY DAY. BUT they are very rare and usually the ones who wind up as professional athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Some young men are super jocks. They play football, basketball, and baseball (or some combo of year round sports). And when they are not playing organized ball, they are playing street ball. They are active EVERY DAY. BUT they are very rare and usually the ones who wind up as professional athletes.
    My middle son was one of those. I remember days when I would pick him up at track practice at school and take him to age-group baseball and after that to AAU basketball. He played high school football in the fall, AAU basketball from October until July and baseball in the spring and summer. He loved it and never burned out. He didn't get much high school basketball because the football team was always deep into the playoffs. He was a natural, gifted athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
    My middle son was one of those. I remember days when I would pick him up at track practice at school and take him to age-group baseball and after that to AAU basketball. He played high school football in the fall, AAU basketball from October until July and baseball in the spring and summer. He loved it and never burned out. He didn't get much high school basketball because the football team was always deep into the playoffs. He was a natural, gifted athlete.
    Few can handle year round, high level competition. It's brutal. Your body has to be fine tuned, low body fat %, and a very nutritionally dense diet. AND proper rest.

In other words you cant sit around eating fast food junk, sodas, and snickers..playing XBox and staying up late. But some try.....fail.....and blame everyone & everything else for their shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    We have some friends whose son did make it to the next level. Actually he skipped the next level and went straight to the minors straight from high school. He was a second round draft pick and is now playing AAA ball in the Diamondbacks organization. His fall back in case he didn't get drafted at a certain round or get was picked by a sorry organization would have been UT where he was offered only a 60% ride. Think about that for a second noting he was on all the Baseball publication lists as top prospect, and got offers galore from every baseball power in NCAA baseball. The irony with the class he was recruited from is Augie kind of screwed the rest of his tenure at UT because he offered seven others 60% rides who all signed minor league contracts that same year and his prized recruiting class went to almost zero.

Most of the kids here locally are maybe making All District (which in some cases has been watered down to participation ribbon status) or maybe All State. I can almost be certain they are not getting 60% or more ride offers to any school at any level. But I don't think I would be wrong to guess some of their parents are paying Bandito (see above) like prices for the select/travel ball "privilege."

On the "Baseball is Life" thing.... From my observation (my oldest spent about 6 months playing select when he was in high school before I said no mas), the biggest drivers were more the Baseball Moms than Dads. Holy Cow it is almost a status like symbol to have your son playing on a certain team and the moms became a cult. Thank goodness my wife was too busy with nursing school back then to get involved with that bunch of grackles. LOL.
    That’s funny you say that because my wife thought he just needed time off. The look he gave me that day at the WS let me know without a doubt he was done. After much haggling back and forth about it. I finally agreed with her on one condition. She would be responsible for taking him to every practice and team meeting. She would also be responsible for making sure he had all of his gear. I knew the battle would ensue from there. So, she dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    In some ways we are lucky here in KC that the weather makes baseball nearly impossible from mid October to late March. Our hitters aren't as good as the kids in Texas who can play all year but the pitchers are much healthier. There is a saying in the college ranks about going south for position players and north for pitchers. Most of our kids don't leave their fastball on the East Cobb diamond.
    I'd kill for some bad weather to slow our sports lives down some right now. All four of ours are playing basketball right now from elementary to high school, between Jan 1 and mid-March we have 64 basketball games to go to. This is after 4 months of 3 of them playing football and my daughter cheerleading.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    I'd kill for some bad weather to slow our sports lives down some right now. All four of ours are playing basketball right now from elementary to high school, between Jan 1 and mid-March we have 64 basketball games to go to. This is after 4 months of 3 of them playing football and my daughter cheerleading.
    HAHAHAHA. Been there, done this!

The sad part is that because of the modern day hustle-bustle, life blows by and all of a sudden your kids are grown.

Do yourself & your family a favor....take one season off to just enjoy SIMPLE life. Dont do anything that costs $ (ok if it costs little). Make your own fun with your family. Stay away from all things commercialized......it will be the best "season" of your life. FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
    Last edited by ASUPops; 02-26-2019 at 03:19 PM.

8. Default Re: Allen HS Kyler Murray Wins Heisman

Surprisingly the best extracurricular activity we've done was Drum and bugle corps. Playing all day in the heat with a #5 bass drum, getting yelled at like you're in basic training and traveling all summer across the country prepared our son for the Corps of Cadets and OCS better than anything else he did growing up by 10,000%.

The bonus for he and I was traveling halfway across the state monthly during the spring and fall and finding some incredible BBQ joints.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    Surprisingly the best extracurricular activity we've done was Drum and bugle corps. Playing all day in the heat with a #5 bass drum, getting yelled at like you're in basic training and traveling all summer across the country prepared our son for the Corps of Cadets and OCS better than anything else he did growing up by 10,000%.

The bonus for he and I was traveling halfway across the state monthly during the spring and fall and finding some incredible BBQ joints.
    Tarleton has reinstated their Corp of Cadets also. There is some good scholarships for that I’ve been told by both A&M and Tarleton folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Tarleton has reinstated their Corp of Cadets also. There is some good scholarships for that I’ve been told by both A&M and Tarleton folks.
    $1,000-$4,500 per year. Corps scholarships are both need and merit based.

A couple of kids from my oldest son's high school class received scholarships for competitive sports shooting up at Schreiner in Kerrville. And they were not chump change type of schollies.

If I were a kid today, me thinks I would have done something like this to try to get some college money. Other options include the competitive fishing circuit and golf. If I lived in snow country, skiing would be on the table too. I think TAMUK has schollies available for rodeo and I'm sure the same is available for other schools like Tarleton and WTAM who have strong Ag programs.

What a good deal. Unlike football, baseball, basketball, etc., one can get compensated and improve skills for a sport which will become a life time hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    HAHAHAHA. Been there, done this!

The sad part is that because of the modern day hustle-bustle, life blows by and all of a sudden your kids are grown.

Do yourself & your family a favor....take one season off to just enjoy SIMPLE life. Dont do anything that costs $ (ok if it costs little). Make your own fun with your family. Stay away from all things commercialized......it will be the best "season" of your life. FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
    Yep. My second child graduates from high school in a few months. He is our Y2K baby and it's hard to believe how fast it went.

And I concur with the slow things down thing. Best thing is to go where cell phone service is sporadic at best. I can think of a few places in the Hill Country and the Big Bend where the "no service" pops up on your cell phone.

Some food for thought....

Why Participation is Decreasing in High School Softball

https://www.linkedin.com/content-gue...K-2H7TmSa_3asI

I think there are some valid points in her criticism. I also think that, while they should be respected as educators, high school coaches are often not as good at coaching and development as their club counterparts.

My daughter started playing softball at 6 years old. Although I was a really good baseball player that had opportunities past high school I knew nothing about softball other than I knew old men had leagues. My introduction was much like that show dance Moms. The women coaches were verbally abusive IMO. If a man would have been coaching in that manner he would have been gone in 7 seconds. Nonetheless the first season was her first introduction to politics. Her second season during tryouts she was the only girl in her age group of 60+ girls who could throw the ball from 3rd to first on a line and still was placed in the outfield and batted toward the bottom and told we need a hitting threat at the bottom of the order. She was never a tomboy and my hope was she would become interested in something else.

Luckily for me the 7 year old saw tennis on television at a restaurant after a Saturday game and wanted to try that. She played both until she was nine. Her last straw for softball was when she tried out for pitcher and showed the most promise and had the best velocity but was told that she might want to try again the following year. She never played again.

She started playing tennis full time and became one of the top juniors in the state of Texas and got a full athletic scholarship (room & board & tuition paid) for all four years and graduated with a good degree without any college debt. She was clocked serving over 100mph in college. So, for me it worked out great. I didn’t have to deal with all the politics and being in the right crowd.

The point to my story is how many other talented young ladies have been swept under the rug or held back because the sport is so subjective as to who gets an opportunity and who doesn’t?

My daughter started playing softball at 6 years old. Although I was a really good baseball player that had opportunities past high school I knew nothing about softball other than I knew old men had leagues. My introduction was much like that show dance Moms. The women coaches were verbally abusive IMO. If a man would have been coaching in that manner he would have been gone in 7 seconds. Nonetheless the first season was her first introduction to politics. Her second season during tryouts she was the only girl in her age group of 60+ girls who could throw the ball from 3rd to first on a line and still was placed in the outfield and batted toward the bottom and told we need a hitting threat at the bottom of the order. She was never a tomboy and my hope was she would become interested in something else.

Luckily for me the 7 year old saw tennis on television at a restaurant after a Saturday game and wanted to try that. She played both until she was nine. Her last straw for softball was when she tried out for pitcher and showed the most promise and had the best velocity but was told that she might want to try again the following year. She never played again.

She started playing tennis full time and became one of the top juniors in the state of Texas and got a full athletic scholarship (room & board & tuition paid) for all four years and graduated with a good degree without any college debt. She was clocked serving over 100mph in college. So, for me it worked out great. I didn’t have to deal with all the politics and being in the right crowd.

The point to my story is how many other talented young ladies have been swept under the rug or held back because the sport is so subjective as to who gets an opportunity and who doesn’t?
    Tennis, great. One on one. You either win or lose. Win enough and no one can politic you. Golf. Golf is a great sport because you post a score. You can't argue with scores. A 71 is a 71. A kid who posts a 71 average is better than a kid who posts a 76 average. It's not subjective. Politics be damned. Same way in track. A 15 ft pole vault beats a 14 ft vault. Individual sports allow an athlete to go as far as their talent and desire will take them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I think there are some valid points in her criticism. I also think that, while they should be respected as educators, high school coaches are often not as good at coaching and development as their club counterparts.
    Educators are not staying in coaching like they used to years ago and I mean years ago going back to even before I was in high school back in the 80's. I can count on several hands how many people I know who used to coach at the high school level and were damn good at it who gave it up in their 30's to make money elsewhere. Men, who if they would have stuck to it, might have very well have become successful Head Coaches and/ or AD's down the road and command the big dollars.

Baseball/ Softball has to be one of the most frustrating sports for kids to play today vs back in the day. If a kid has select league on his resume and a parent(s) who make sure it's known to all who need to know and even to those who don't care, in some programs he/she will get invited to the front of the line. I've see some very good programs almost destroy themselves or get stuck in a rut because they went this route and pushed kids to the side who worked their asses off before Johnny All Star showed up. They may have kids who are talented and sign baseball schollies to solid baseball programs, but they can't win as a team because you have a majority slate of players out there who play as individuals and not as a team. Oh and in some cases Johnny All Star didn't live up to the Perfect Game ratings or whatever accolades he received before he transferred in. By then it's too late because Coach Starstruck is stuck with a position player who can't bat over .200 and the kid that worked his ass off moved on to better things because he didn't want to become a bench player for the rest of his high school career.
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 03-04-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Tennis, great. One on one. You either win or lose. Win enough and no one can politic you. Golf. Golf is a great sport because you post a score. You can't argue with scores. A 71 is a 71. A kid who posts a 71 average is better than a kid who posts a 76 average. It's not subjective. Politics be damned. Same way in track. A 15 ft pole vault beats a 14 ft vault. Individual sports allow an athlete to go as far as their talent and desire will take them.
    And a kid can get a schollie offer which very well might be better than one he/she might have received playing a team sport.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast