Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Way TOO EARLY outlook for 2019 season

Contribute to D2

Default Way TOO EARLY outlook for 2019 season

Yesterday’s loss was definitely a tough pill to swallow. But already looking forward to next season?

Just wondering how you guys think your teams are going to fare next year?

As for the mavs, virtually everyone returns on offense as we lose only one senior who had around 150 receiving yards on the year. So the offense should be even more explosive then before, but, the QBs need to be more consistent with their accuracy. Their accuracies were good throughout the regular season but dropped off in the playoffs.

On defense we only lose 3 starters. Our secondary should be better and everyone returns for LB’s. We do lose 2 key starters on the d line who were a stable for our D for years. I’m do think we have guys who are capable of filling those roles nicely but I think our running defense will take a slight step back for the first couple of weeks of next season.

Non arguably our biggest loss will be our kicker. He was probably the best kicker we’ve ever had imo. Next year, as it stands, Luke Williams (Fr) is the next man up. But with the Mavericks in “Win now” mode next year, it wouldnt surprise me if they try to bring in a grad transfer kicker.

Next years team should be better than this year’s team just by looking at who is coming back next year. In my opinion, the 2019 team will be the best team they’ve fielded since they went to the national championship in 2014.

Default Re: Way TOO EARLY outlook for 2019 season

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Yesterday’s loss was definitely a tough pill to swallow. But already looking forward to next season?

As for the mavs, virtually everyone returns on offense as we lose only one senior who had around 150 receiving yards on the year. So the offense should be even more explosive then before, but, the QBs need to be more consistent with their accuracy. Their accuracies were good throughout the regular season but dropped off in the playoffs.

On defense we only lose 3 starters. Our secondary should be better and everyone returns for LB’s. We do lose 2 key starters on the d line who were a stable for our D for years. I’m do think we have guys who are capable of filling those roles nicely but I think our running defense will take a slight step back for the first couple of weeks of next season.

Non arguably our biggest loss will be our kicker. He was probably the best kicker we’ve ever had imo. Next year, as it stands, Luke Williams (Fr) is the next man up. But with the Mavericks in “Win now” mode next year, it wouldnt surprise me if they try to bring in a grad transfer kicker.

Next years team should be better than this year’s team just by looking at who is coming back next year. In my opinion, the 2019 team will be the best team they’ve fielded since they went to the national championship in 2014.
    I'd be shocked if the Mavs don't bring in another transfer kicker. Other than Brockshus, that's been their MO at that position. Have a couple walk-ons on the roster and bring in a 1 or 2 year transfer.

2019 will likely be a better team overall than 2014. But that O-line was something special. They do have an opportunity to be close at O-line if all decide to continue playing.

Hopefully MSU will again be a serious contender for the conference championship, and also make the playoffs next season. A lot of good talent returning, but you never know what can happen with injuries, a player or two deciding not to return, etc. A lot has to happen in order to not only make the playoffs, but to advance in them. Our QB's are both very capable, but as mentioned need to get to a higher level of accuracy next season, in all likelihood. The program has had great success over the past decade, but with that expectations naturally are rather high; what with the large number of experienced players returning.

They have to be the favorite to win both the conference and national titles returning all of that. Would have to put USF and Duluth right behind them. USF still has a couple of years to go to be solid

The Dragons lose a few key guys on Defense (Strand, Doan and Raye, all 4 year contributors) and a couple on o-line. Overall, we were young this year which makes me excited for 2019! I'm hopeful this is a year where the Dragons can contend for a North title! We should have Duluth, Bemidji, Winona, Augustana and Mary at home and will be on the road at CSP, Southwest, Northern, Minot, St Cloud and Crookston. It appears the home slate will be a tough one!

Will be interesting next year with the Mavericks playing at home against UMD and on the road against USF. Two tough tests.

It's my belief Augustana is poised to have an excellent season in 2019. Graduating 11 seniors this spring 6 who were starters will be missed, but there are capable backups to fill in. Quarterback Kyle Saddler will be a junior and made huge strides from his freshman year enough to be a Harlon Hill candidate he has the potential to be the best QB in the league. Augustana has recruited very well the last 3 years judging by teams we recruited against, of course we lost some too. Can AU get to playoff status? yea I think so, but there are some awfully good outfits in the NSIC who will have a say in that.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    It's my belief Augustana is poised to have an excellent season in 2019. Graduating 11 seniors this spring 6 who were starters will be missed, but there are capable backups to fill in. Quarterback Kyle Saddler will be a junior and made huge strides from his freshman year enough to be a Harlon Hill candidate he has the potential to be the best QB in the league. Augustana has recruited very well the last 3 years judging by teams we recruited against, of course we lost some too. Can AU get to playoff status? yea I think so, but there are some awfully good outfits in the NSIC who will have a say in that.
    Just think of how the AU season (and the MSU season) might have been different except for one play. Could have been a huge jumping off point.

Blog Entries

Your biggest loss with be DT Zach Dodge. More than 1 coach has told me "he's the best defensive player in our league.."

Northern was a pretty young team this year, but will lose some key guys from a defense that wasn't great. The key for next year will be the development of Trautman at QB. If he can develop into a top-tier NSIC QB NSU could have an intriguing offense with the young weapons at WR. NSU has 3 guaranteed losses and 3 very likely wins on the schedule next year, with the other 5 somewhere in between. I'm not sure what it would take to get the Wolves into serious playoff contention, but they are several years away from that conversation.

The Duluth Bulldogs graduated 22 sr., many key players, but the Bulldogs play many players, especially rotating many players in on D. With the returning players and redshirts coming up. we will be young at some spots, but also experienced at skill positions. Look for
    the Bulldogs to be very tough as always, We will play MSU and USF away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Umdfan35 View Post
    The Duluth Bulldogs graduated 22 sr., many key players, but the Bulldogs play many players, especially rotating many players in on D. With the returning players and redshirts coming up. we will be young at some spots, but also experienced at skill positions. Look for
    the Bulldogs to be very tough as always, We will play MSU and USF away.
    UMD playing USF/MSU in the middle of the season, instead of both in the first month of the season....good thing for UMD I think. They'll get a chance to play a few games before getting the top teams in the South..who they've struggled with on the odd years (2015, 2017). UMD brings back a lot at the skill positions....QB, RB, etc. I think UMD would be well-served having a strong compliment to the smaller RB Sullivan, who has very good running instincts and quickness....but another back who's a little beefier....to help getting the tough yards. The Dogs are 100% the top team in the North until someone in the North shows otherwise. BSU and MSUM should be prepared to compete tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I'd be shocked if the Mavs don't bring in another transfer kicker. Other than Brockshus, that's been their MO at that position. Have a couple walk-ons on the roster and bring in a 1 or 2 year transfer.

2019 will likely be a better team overall than 2014. But that O-line was something special. They do have an opportunity to be close at O-line if all decide to continue playing.
    That group of lineman was special... 4 of them were seniors and all of them were from Omaha, Nebraska! After they graduated, we didn’t really recruit out of Nebraska until recently. All lineman are returning so we should see. As of now, the 2019 season “should be our year to win” if everything plays out as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    Your biggest loss with be DT Zach Dodge. More than 1 coach has told me "he's the best defensive player in our league.."
    I can agree with that. I was speaking in terms of ability to replace. I’m more confident of them replacing Dodge more than Casey imo. There’re already some good young guys who they’ve been developing but idk what they will do at the Kicker position? Stick with the freshman or bring in a juco/grad transfer? With basically the entire offense returning (Assuming they all get better and score more touchdowns because they’re all a year older), having a good kicker wouldn’t be as a higher priority. Ferris St. seemed to be just fine with a slightly below average kicker.

Point being, a lot can happen from now till fall camp.

Dodge for sure will be missed, if only if he were taller, he would be getting a lot more NFL looks.

UMD playing USF/MSU in the middle of the season, instead of both in the first month of the season....good thing for UMD I think. They'll get a chance to play a few games before getting the top teams in the South..who they've struggled with on the odd years (2015, 2017). UMD brings back a lot at the skill positions....QB, RB, etc. I think UMD would be well-served having a strong compliment to the smaller RB Sullivan, who has very good running instincts and quickness....but another back who's a little beefier....to help getting the tough yards. The Dogs are 100% the top team in the North until someone in the North shows otherwise. BSU and MSUM should be prepared to compete tho.
    Agree with the RB situation. Zach Ojile(fr) from Spring Lake Park HS. is 6"2 235 was HM all NSIC at TE, and played RB when Wade Sullivan was out for a game. He gained 236 yds with a 6.o yd ave and scored 6 TDs, He was an option QB in high school and made all-state as a RB. I hope they play him more in the backfield to compliment Wade

Mustangs lose Blake. Until I know what we are going to do there, I am very concerned.

Lose Ney, Ratkovich among others on defense. Many holes to fill. And of course we will have a new DC with a new scheme.

I am normally the world's most positive guy, but I am skeptical at this point.

I have no clue what to expect with the Wolves. Offense should be very good though I dont know much about the o-line. In my opinion our beat RBs were redshirting as freshman this season so if we don't at the very least put up serious points we will be toast. Our defense...well, we all kind of know where that is at.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    Mustangs lose Blake. Until I know what we are going to do there, I am very concerned.

Lose Ney, Ratkovich among others on defense. Many holes to fill. And of course we will have a new DC with a new scheme.

I am normally the world's most positive guy, but I am skeptical at this point.
    I would be concerned too. Blake allowed you guys to be competitive this last year being the top QB in the conference. Replacing him....hard hard..as we saw in 2017. This time around Cory gets a full offseason to prepare a QB tho..whereas last time Blake was the starter and got injured..and then you guys had to patch things together. You guys very good skill players back and if I recall you had a younger OL. What's the latest with the DC spot..?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    I have no clue what to expect with the Wolves. Offense should be very good though I dont know much about the o-line. In my opinion our beat RBs were redshirting as freshman this season so if we don't at the very least put up serious points we will be toast. Our defense...well, we all kind of know where that is at.
    At face value....this should be a positive.

https://nsuwolves.com/news/2018/12/7...ordinator.aspx

At face value....this should be a positive.

https://nsuwolves.com/news/2018/12/7...ordinator.aspx
    I didnt watch enough of the Salukis, and everyone seems to think this is a positive however, the Salukis were last in defense in the MVFC. Also, being the regional scouting guru down in the SuFu metro, what do you think of the Lineman that NSU got from Roosevelt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast