Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Valdosta State vs Ferris State

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Valdosta State vs Ferris State

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    You're incorrect. The GSC has a Game of the Week with our own set of commentators that travels around to one (sometimes two) games each week with with full production. It's sponsored by the Florida Space Coast tourism group.
    Yes, but those aren't ESPN employees showing up to broadcast, they aren't ESPN announcers, they aren't ESPN cameras. It is production done by an outside group, with the link to watch just put on the ESPN website. When it is broadcast on actual ESPN channels, then ESPN does all that.

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Yes, but those aren't ESPN employees showing up to broadcast, they aren't ESPN announcers, they aren't ESPN cameras. It is production done by an outside group, with the link to watch just put on the ESPN website. When it is broadcast on actual ESPN channels, then ESPN does all that.
    Haha. Bless your heart.

ESPN contracts out that work. Ask Purple Swarm - he works lots of games for them in AL/TN, etc.

Of the teams that have made it to the title game in the past, who wouldn't have a stadium up to snuff? While UWF's Community Maritime Park doesn't meet the current specs by the NCAA for the title game (3K on the "visitors" side) those could be tweaked if they policy were to be changed.

All GSC stadiums are on ESPN each season now.
    The point is not the teams which happen to have made it this year.

The point is that, if you set a policy, it must be applicable to all schools in all years.

Quote Originally Posted by UNA_Texan View Post
    The point is not the teams which happen to have made it this year.

The point is that, if you set a policy, it must be applicable to all schools in all years.
    But, you can also be realistic and realize that about 10 or so current D2 schools have made it to the title game.

But, you can also be realistic and realize that about 10 or so current D2 schools have made it to the title game.
    In the last several years both Shepherd and CSU-Pueblo have been in the NC game. Neither could provide 3000 seats to visitors easily.

Just pointing out that you have major differences in the stadiums, lighting etc.

In the last several years both Shepherd and CSU-Pueblo have been in the NC game. Neither could provide 3000 seats to visitors easily.

Just pointing out that you have major differences in the stadiums, lighting etc.
    I've already pointed that out.

Haha. Bless your heart.

ESPN contracts out that work. Ask Purple Swarm - he works lots of games for them in AL/TN, etc.
    lol. I mean I worked in the office that puts together the contracts and chooses how to broadcast their football games. But alright. You got it.

Every GV home game is broadcast on WatchESPN. Not a single person associated with ESPN works in any game. The production truck is GV's, the cameras and operators are GV's, and the announcers are GV's. ESPN has nothing to do with any of it. It exists simply as a website to put the video feed on.

lol. I mean I worked in the office that puts together the contracts and chooses how to broadcast their football games. But alright. You got it.

Every GV home game is broadcast on WatchESPN. Not a single person associated with ESPN works in any game. The production truck is GV's, the cameras and operators are GV's, and the announcers are GV's. ESPN has nothing to do with any of it. It exists simply as a website to put the video feed on.
    That's GV, not the GSC Game of the Week. It might be the case for your particular school.

The scenario you describe is exactly how it is for UNA's games on ESPN+ now in all sports as part of the ASUN. They picked up their truck over the summer.

Doesn't mean the TV crew can't step in and do their job for a different game. In fact, those were definitely "ESPN commentators" for the on-campus semis.

That's GV, not the GSC Game of the Week. It might be the case for your particular school.

The scenario you describe is exactly how it is for UNA's games on ESPN+ now as part of the ASUN.

Doesn't mean the TV crew can't step in and do their job for a different game.
    It works the exact same lol I don't understand what you're trying to get at here. ESPN has nothing to do with the production of those GSC Game of the Week games. That's what I'm telling you. ESPN3/WatchESPN is simply the platform which the GSC chooses to put the games on. They could easily decide to put them on YouTube, or Stadium, or Sidearm. Ergo, those stadiums and not subject to the same lighting and camera and production standards as those which are actually broadcast on the ESPN TV channels. They don't even require you to have announcers. That's the whole thing I am pointing out here. They are not subject to the same standards as those needed to put games actually on TV. You guys were discussing how some of the stadiums the games could be broadcast at if the title game was hosted by one of the schools playing didn't have lights or the ability to broadcast like that. Which is true, because the title game is actually on ESPN/ESPN2 on TV. But then you referenced that many of the GSC schools have already hosted games on ESPN based on the GSC game of the week. But those broadcasts are not the same thing as actually being on ESPN/ESPN2.

The scenario you describe is exactly how it is for UNA's games on ESPN+ now in all sports as part of the ASUN. They picked up their truck over the summer.

Doesn't mean the TV crew can't step in and do their job for a different game. In fact, those were definitely "ESPN commentators" for the on-campus semis.
    Yes, because the semifinals are broadcast by ESPN no matter what or where they are at. The NCAA has a deal with ESPN where they are to broadcast those on their platform. So ESPN provides the support needed for those games.

It works the exact same lol I don't understand what you're trying to get at here. ESPN has nothing to do with the production of those games. That's what I'm telling you. ESPN3/WatchESPN is simply the platform which the GSC chooses to put the games on. They could easily decide to put them on YouTube, or Stadium, or Sidearm. Ergo, those stadiums and not subject to the same lighting and camera and production standards as those which are actually broadcast on the ESPN TV channels. They don't even require you to have announcers. That's the whole thing I am pointing out here. They are not subject to the same standards as those needed to put games actually on TV. You guys were discussing how some of the stadiums the games could be broadcast at if the title game was hosted by one of the schools playing didn't have lights or the ability to broadcast like that. Which is true, because the title game is actually on ESPN/ESPN2 on TV. But then you referenced that many of the GSC schools have already hosted games on ESPN based on the GSC game of the week. But those broadcasts are not the same thing as actually being on ESPN/ESPN2.
    I got your points. Yet, you said that ESPN had nothing to do with those broadcasts when I know for a fact they sent commentators to the on-campus semis.

All of this is moot. The NCAA likes their neutral site championships - even if just a few folks can show up for them.

It doesn't matter.

OldBison, if you are going to make a strong point, hit your facts correctly. The Dallas Fort Worth metro area is more like 7.4 million, than 3.2. While I am sure there are old football players out there, you and your 3 buddies aside; it would have been advantageous to get some from the Allen-McKinney area...Allen is playing in the ATT stadium...and I doubt those parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and alumni are going to choose to be at a D2 game for schools they did not attend. The McKinney ISD stadium is a nice facility, better than most D2 stadia I have visited, but it is over an hour north of Dallas-Ft Worth, much further north than that for much of the DFW metro area. This on a weekend 10 days prior to Christmas. I just don't think a local crowd is going to be significant, unless the team is local.

I think I am aware of Texas football fans, as well as having attended many D2 games in the state over the years.
    I was speaking about mostly Dallas and it’s suburbs to the north. You’re probably right about the local residents in Allen and McKinney. They’ll be more interested in attending HS playoff games involving teams from their local communities. I just think if FCS championship games involving teams from far away places like the Dakotas can attract almost 10,000 fans to watch a football game at a soccer facility in Frisco, TX, the D2 championship should be able to attract more than 5,000 fans to watch a game at a great football stadium like the one in McKinney.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBison View Post
    I was speaking about mostly Dallas and it’s suburbs to the north. You’re probably right about the local residents in Allen and McKinney. They’ll be more interested in attending HS playoff games involving teams from their local communities. I just think if FCS championship games involving teams from far away places like the Dakotas can attract almost 10,000 fans to watch a football game at a soccer facility in Frisco, TX, the D2 championship should be able to attract more than 5,000 fans to watch a game at a great football stadium like the one in McKinney.
    FCS teams have bigger fan bases and, of course, those crazy folks in Green have been in Frisco the past six of seven seasons. The one year NDSU wasn't in it, attendance dropped 7K (from 21K to 14K).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D...l_Championship

Quote Originally Posted by OldBison View Post
    Allen has been in the state championship 4 out of 5 years. They have almost earned their $60 mil stadium! :-)

15. Default Re: Valdosta State vs Ferris State

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post
    Have you ever lived in Texas or truly understand the football culture in Texas?

Locals care about their high school team and the Dallas Cowboys with UT and A&M sharing third place if they even drop that far. Some college alums care about their school (Texas, A&M, Baylor and Tech) while most of the the others care about....their local high school and the Cowboys. You know that I have not mentioned the Houston Texans. There is a reason Bud Admas had the Oilers leave Houston. He could never compete with The Cowboys. Oh, and by the way, high school playoffs are still going on in Texas so that's where people will be on Friday and Saturday. I will even venture that the majority of even the smallest classes of football games will outdraw the DII game.

Can it become successful in McKinney? Maybe. Are the facilities awesome. Absolutely. Will it be on the radar of The Dallas Morning News or on the local news? Doubt it. If it does, great but don't hold your breath. I base this opinion by living in Texas and enduring the constant coverage of the Cowboys, UT and A&M while generally ignoring the other universities and colleges in the state.
    IF Tarleton State didn't have to make the trip to the (questionable) SR4 No. 1 seed MSU-Mankato and not play its regional title game in "football hell" (aka: blizzard conditions on a hard-packed field akin to a concrete parking lot in a third-rate junior high stadium), my guess is Tarleton State would be playing in McKinney this weekend—AND, bring along 10,000-15,000+ fans from all across DFW / North Texas and students from its campuses in Stephenville, Waco and Fort Worth. Oh well... good luck to the other two teams making the loooooong trip to McKinney.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by TarletonStateTexan View Post
    IF
    That is a Rudyard Kipling poem. One of my favorites. I suggest that you read it.

Those aren't actual ESPN broadcasts. They are just the schools using the ESPN platform to broadcast as opposed to Presto, or Sidearm, or YouTube. They pay to put those games on WatchESPN. Most of them are produced by the schools and the feed is just patched through to the link on WatchESPN for people to watch. They aren't subject to the same standards as the actual ESPN crew and truck showing up and setting up shop to produce the game and put it on the actual ESPN TV channels. Any school can broadcast games on WatchESPN if they pay ESPN to house their games, even if they're filmed on cell phones, haha.
    As someone who assists with ESPN+/ESPN3 Broadcasts I can say that you are incorrect. They have strict standards that must be met, and typically conferences have deals with ESPN on what is broadcast. The hardest thing with football is Lighting, other than that, the GSC uses the same stuff ESPN does. A Truck that shows up with a freelance crew to broadcast the game, like any other game on the network.
    -Will
    THE University of North Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    That is a Rudyard Kipling poem. One of my favorites. I suggest that you read it.
    I am reminded of all those other D2NC games Tarleton State was in, because they were not forced to play in Minnesota.

But since they are always in the top 10 in D2 in attendance and average attendance...they would fill McKinney.

Oops...sorry That wasn’t Tarleton State.

All of this is moot. The NCAA likes their neutral site championships - even if just a few folks can show up for them.

It doesn't matter.
    Scanning the Mckinney TX newspaper recently, and no mention at all of the upcoming NCAA Division 2 Football Championship game, I hope they really care.

The upcoming game is definitely in the news in both Valdosta GA, and Big Rapids MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle74 View Post
    Scanning the Mckinney TX newspaper recently, and no mention at all of the upcoming NCAA Division 2 Football Championship game, I hope they really care.

The upcoming game is definitely in the news in both Valdosta GA, and Big Rapids MI.
    I would hope they have it on a billboard, since video billboards are so easy to change.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast