Thread: Valdosta State vs Ferris State

Default Valdosta State vs Ferris State

Both teams should move up. ;)

Default Re: Valdosta State vs Ferris State

Go GSC!
    Formerly used screen name DeltaGSC.

This should be a great game.

It's really to bad that at the conclusion of the second game, a live split video feed of both winning coaches calling a coin toss for the right to host the championship game would have been great. You would pretty much have guarantee a sell out on ESPN verses what will more than likely be a half empty stadium over at McKinney TX.

I mean really NCAA give it a shot, this ain't rocket surgery:)

Coin toss to determine the host of the national championship? No way man! If an alternative to having a predetermined site had to be used, the only logical choice would be to let the higher seeded team host. You want to host the championship? Get the highest seed possible. Win more games. Score more points. Allow less points. Schedule better OOC opponents and beat them. Etc.

This is the NCAA, not some low tier rec league. They're not going to let the location of a national championship game be determined by a fluke coin toss. Especially not with ESPN involved too.

Sorry to come down negatively on your opinion, but there's way too much money involved with all things NCAA for them to ever consider that. Even at the D2 level. Once the check clears from the host city, the NCAA doesn't give damn about the optics of a D2 championship.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle74 View Post

It's really to bad that at the conclusion of the second game, a live split video feed of both winning coaches calling a coin toss for the right to host the championship game would have been great. You would pretty much have guarantee a sell out on ESPN verses what will more than likely be a half empty stadium over at McKinney TX.

Maybe I’m overestimating some, but I’d think 90% of schools/communities don’t have the facilities and/or hotel space to accommodate all the people. Plus, hey, congrats! You made it to the NC game, but due to a coin flip, you get to play in the other team’s home field!

At the end of the day, why do we even care what the crowd looks like on TV? The fact the game is in TV is what’s cool about it.

Congratulations to Ferris and Valdosta. Should be a great game with two explosive teams.

Quote Originally Posted by NW Normal View Post
    Congratulations to Ferris and Valdosta. Should be a great game with two explosive teams.
    Thanks! Blazers just won a tough semifinal game as in 2012. Shout out to NDC!

It has indeed been an unbelievable season! One more chapter to write........

#BlazerNation

Based on the body of work for the year, the system clearly weeded out the 2 best teams this year. The kids, the coaches, the fans deserve the opportunity to play the NC game in a facility worthy of the NC. The facility at McKinney is such a facility and the town has a ton of money to make this a 1st class event for D2. I would even go out on a limb and say the D2 NC game will be played at a better facility than the FCS game. Texas high schools spend millions on their facilities. It's an arms race that has carried over to indoor facilities now.

Congrats to Ferris St. and Valdosta St.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    Based on the body of work for the year, the system clearly weeded out the 2 best teams this year. The kids, the coaches, the fans deserve the opportunity to play the NC game in a facility worthy of the NC. The facility at McKinney is such a facility and the town has a ton of money to make this a 1st class event for D2. I would even go out on a limb and say the D2 NC game will be played at a better facility than the FCS game. Texas high schools spend millions on their facilities. It's an arms race that has carried over to indoor facilities now.

Congrats to Ferris St. and Valdosta St.
    Was really impressed that officials from McKinney came to welcome the winner of the game to Texas.

Here are some links that the folks at McKinney have set up for the game. Impressive.

Website is at d2Mckinney.com
    https://d2mckinney.com/?fbclid=IwAR0...nZi4s8qRBPhKxQ

A Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/D2McKinney/

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/D2McKinney

#BlazerNation

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerLady View Post
    Was really impressed that officials from McKinney came to welcome the winner of the game to Texas.

Here are some links that the folks at McKinney have set up for the game. Impressive.

Website is at d2Mckinney.com
    https://d2mckinney.com/?fbclid=IwAR0...nZi4s8qRBPhKxQ

A Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/D2McKinney/

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/D2McKinney
    Officials from the host institutions always attend the semifinals game to formally invite the winner.

Ferris State stadium is not equipped to handle a National Championship game - as most facilities aren’t. I don’t understand why people are so determined to make it just another game.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatDude View Post
    Ferris State stadium is not equipped to handle a National Championship game - as most facilities aren’t. I don’t understand why people are so determined to make it just another game.
    Exactly.

13. Default Re: Valdosta State vs Ferris State

That might be OK, if you agree that this game should be no different than just another regular season game with the winner declared the National Champions.

Over 31,years ago around three or four people from Florence approach the NCAA with the ideal of making the event special for the teams other than just another game. The NCAA agreed that it should be different.

When the game was moved to Kansas City the group that sponsored it carried on that tradition and it looks like the group from McKinney is also planning on doing the same. Wherever it is in the future I hope that tradition of awarding the teams other the winner being declared the National Champions is carried on.

I would like to see the Stadium full regardless of whether it is on the tube or not I guess it would be OK with you for the visiting team to fly in on the morning of the game and leave afterwards. Fans some driving several hours will NO place to go to refresh before the game or afterwards.

It might not be rocket science, but there are several more things that I could add.

Quote Originally Posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
    That might be OK, if you agree that this game should be no different than just another regular season game with the winner declared the National Champions.

Over 31,years ago around three or four people from Florence approach the NCAA with the ideal of making the event special for the teams other than just another game. The NCAA agreed that it should be different.

When the game was moved to Kansas City the group that sponsored it carried on that tradition and it looks like the group from McKinney is also planning on doing the same. Wherever it is in the future I hope that tradition of awarding the teams other the winner being declared the National Champions is carried on.

I would like to see the Stadium full regardless of whether it is on the tube or not I guess it would be OK with you for the visiting team to fly in on the morning of the game and leave afterwards. Fans some driving several hours will NO place to go to refresh before the game or afterwards.

It might not be rocket science, but there are several more things that I could add.
    I think most are appreciative of the groundwork laid by the people of Florence to make the D2 NC game a special event. I know I am.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    I think most are appreciative of the groundwork laid by the people of Florence to make the D2 NC game a special event. I know I am.
    I think this is a great place for our D2 Championship game. Far better chance for good weather and it’s in a football stadium. Good chance for local attendance to. After all isn’t everything bigger and better in TEXAS. Coin toss is absurd idea that should never be considered.

Some good highlights from NCAA on VSU/N.D. game.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/football/...ate-highlights

17. Default Re: Valdosta State vs Ferris State

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhof View Post
    I think this is a great place for our D2 Championship game. Far better chance for good weather and it’s in a football stadium. Good chance for local attendance to. After all isn’t everything bigger and better in TEXAS. Coin toss is absurd idea that should never be considered.
    Have you ever lived in Texas or truly understand the football culture in Texas?

Locals care about their high school team and the Dallas Cowboys with UT and A&M sharing third place if they even drop that far. Some college alums care about their school (Texas, A&M, Baylor and Tech) while most of the the others care about....their local high school and the Cowboys. You know that I have not mentioned the Houston Texans. There is a reason Bud Admas had the Oilers leave Houston. He could never compete with The Cowboys. Oh, and by the way, high school playoffs are still going on in Texas so that's where people will be on Friday and Saturday. I will even venture that the majority of even the smallest classes of football games will outdraw the DII game.

Can it become successful in McKinney? Maybe. Are the facilities awesome. Absolutely. Will it be on the radar of The Dallas Morning News or on the local news? Doubt it. If it does, great but don't hold your breath. I base this opinion by living in Texas and enduring the constant coverage of the Cowboys, UT and A&M while generally ignoring the other universities and colleges in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post
    Have you ever lived in Texas or truly understand the football culture in Texas?

Locals care about their high school team and the Dallas Cowboys with UT and A&M sharing third place if they even drop that far. Some college alums care about their school (Texas, A&M, Baylor and Tech) while most of the the others care about....their local high school and the Cowboys. You know that I have not mentioned the Houston Texans. There is a reason Bud Admas had the Oilers leave Houston. He could never compete with The Cowboys. Oh, and by the way, high school playoffs are still going on in Texas so that's where people will be on Friday and Saturday. I will even venture that the majority of even the smallest classes of football games will outdraw the DII game.

Can it become successful in McKinney? Maybe. Are the facilities awesome. Absolutely. Will it be on the radar of The Dallas Morning News or on the local news? Doubt it. If it does, great but don't hold your breath. I base this opinion by living in Texas and enduring the constant coverage of the Cowboys, UT and A&M while generally ignoring the other universities and colleges in the state.
    Plus you will have Duncanville vs Allen in the state 6A semifinals competing at the AT&T Stadium. Allen holds the top 2 attendance records for a playoff game, at 53K+ and 54K+ both at AT&T Stadium. That and the other state HS semis at AT&T Stadium and NRG in Houston will be the focus of the Texas media. Down here the focus will be on Calallen.
    Roar Lions, Charge On Chargers, Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

For all of those player's family member, fans, and students unable to fly on short notice, I hope a lot of the can still make the trip to see their teams play in the special Division 2 Football Championship game at the new McKinney High School Stadium in Texas.

Round trip from Valdosta State = 1,861 miles, / 28 hours

Round trip from Ferris State = 2,196 miles, / 33 hours
    Last edited by Eagle74; 12-10-2018 at 12:45 PM.

We made 9* 28 hr round trips to Florence AL from Maryville MO and 2 4 hr round trips to Kansas City KS in all kinds of weather from torrential rain to ice to snow. We dodged floods and tornadoes etc. Every game win or lose was worth the trip. Any serious FSU or VSU fan should find some way to get there. It’s an amazing experience and there’s no guarantee of another chance in the future.
    *includes 05 semi

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast