Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 186

Thread: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    142
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    13643

    Default Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Per CFB Nation via Twitter, David Bailiff is the new man in Commerce.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    3rd stall on the left
    Posts
    3,985
    Rep Power
    64194

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Might be a good hire.

  3. Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Might be a good hire.
    He is a player’s coach. I think it will be a good hire as well.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,737
    Rep Power
    405116

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Meh. Last time we hired a 60yr old DI retread it didnt work out too well. Plus side, he is a Texas guy. Minus side, he is a 60 yr old DI retread. Hope he has some fire left, if not its gonna be a rough few years here coming. I was hoping for a young, hungry coach. I guess we will see...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLionWire View Post
    Per CFB Nation via Twitter, David Bailiff is the new man in Commerce.
    Really good guy. If he is the new hire, the Lions are saying goodbye to the spread offense. Not really sure about how well he can recruit. He was handcuffed at Rice because of the high admission requirements.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Meh. Last time we hired a 60yr old DI retread it didnt work out too well. Plus side, he is a Texas guy. Minus side, he is a 60 yr old DI retread. Hope he has some fire left, if not its gonna be a rough few years here coming. I was hoping for a young, hungry coach. I guess we will see...
    I agree, I always want a coach that has something to prove. Usually not someone known outside coaching circles.

    Another thing, how well will he adapt with limited resources of D2 compared to FBS. Kinda weird saying FBS and Rice in same sentence.
    Last edited by Techster88; 12-07-2018 at 09:00 PM.

  7. Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Meh. Last time we hired a 60yr old DI retread it didnt work out too well. Plus side, he is a Texas guy. Minus side, he is a 60 yr old DI retread. Hope he has some fire left, if not its gonna be a rough few years here coming. I was hoping for a young, hungry coach. I guess we will see...

    Agreed, at SWT he only won one conference title even with the most resources in the conference
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,737
    Rep Power
    405116

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    I agree, I always want a coach that has to prove. Usually not someone known outside coaching circles.

    Another thing, how well we adapt with limited resources of D2 compared to FBS. Kinda weird saying FBS and Rice in same sentence.
    We need someone to connect with kids. we need someone who, if it gets tough, has something to prove & doesnt just want to collect a few more years of paychecks. Im liking this less and less the more I think about it. Most of the folks who had the vision to hire Colby are gone though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,737
    Rep Power
    405116

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    Agreed, at SWT he only won one conference title even with the most resources in the conference
    Yeah and he won a total of 4 games his last 2 years at Rice. (the rest of this post would just be all *** so I wont bother).

  10. #10

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Yeah and he won a total of 4 games his last 2 years at Rice. (the rest of this post would just be all *** so I wont bother).
    From the few times I listened to his interviews he seemed like a very positive person. Definitely a players coach. Usually hiring a retreads are just that and the results usually leave a bad taste in your mouth. My only guess to hiring Baliff is the AD wanted a coach with experience. That being said, Whitten has found some more magic at Tarleton. 3xs at the same school is crazy and winning during all the three stints. Unexplainable. Most retreads end crashing on the rocks.

    Look at it this way Baliff has a chance to prove Herb wrong. He can show Herb that you can change divisions and be successful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,737
    Rep Power
    405116

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    From the few times I listened to his interviews he seemed like a very positive person. Definitely a players coach. Usually hiring a retreads are just that and the results usually leave a bad taste in your mouth. My only guess to hiring Baliff is the AD wanted a coach with experience. That being said, Whitten has found some more magic at Tarleton. 3xs at the same school is crazy and winning during all the three stints. Unexplainable. Most retreads end crashing on the rocks.

    Look at it this way Baliff has a chance to prove Herb wrong. He can show Herb that you can change divisions and be successful.
    I think this year all the stars aligned for tarleton. senior heavy team that loses almost their entire offensive production next season. As far as Bailiff goes, Id love to see the list of people that applied. If he was the cream of the crop Id be shocked. If Storm applied and got denied, im irritated. I just dont see kids lining up to play for a 60 yr old dude that got Rice into the Liberty Bowl when they were in the freakin 7th grade.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    8,357
    Rep Power
    640465

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Nick Saban is 67. Just putting that out there.

    UNA's Coach Wallace was 62 when his 2016 team reached the D2 title game.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,737
    Rep Power
    405116

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    Nick Saban is 67. Just putting that out there.

    UNA's Coach Wallace was 62 when his 2016 team reached the D2 title game.
    Wallace also had a track record of winning 3 Nattys in a row at UNA when he was in his 40s. Which is my point about needing someone young and hungry. he had some success when he came back, but also had a far better career record than Baliff. I think we could have, should have, done better is my point. Id rather take a shot with a young firey coach than re-run a guy like this. Maybe he will shock me, but Im expecting immediate mediocrity.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    Nick Saban is 67. Just putting that out there.

    UNA's Coach Wallace was 62 when his 2016 team reached the D2 title game.
    ROFLMAO .... comparing Saban to Bailiff. Your killing me. Whew!!! Almost blew all the tea out of my mouth when I read this. Thanks for the good laugh.

    Comparing a multiple NC coach to a guy who wasn’t even .500 in 10 seasons is like comparing a pack mule to a thoroughbred.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    3rd stall on the left
    Posts
    3,985
    Rep Power
    64194

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    I’ll be honest I don’t think this is a good hire although I hope I’m wrong. Very pedestrian record and that is being generous. Even Rice should be good for 4-5 wins a year against SOMEBODY.

    But it could be that D2 is a fit for him better than D1. A D1 coach needs a different skill set, and vice versa.

    Time will tell. Age isn’t an issue.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,737
    Rep Power
    405116

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    I’ll be honest I don’t think this is a good hire although I hope I’m wrong. Very pedestrian record and that is being generous. Even Rice should be good for 4-5 wins a year against SOMEBODY.

    But it could be that D2 is a fit for him better than D1. A D1 coach needs a different skill set, and vice versa.

    Time will tell. Age isn’t an issue.
    I disagree. He will be recruiting kids born in 2002. Kids raised on social media. Its a big factor, especially at this level.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Man, not saying this as putting the new HC Bailiff down. But, I truly believe with some help in recruiting that the Carthage HS HC Surratt would’ve been a better hire. He has won state state several times and knows how to run an explosive offense. Plus, losing grates him. Really bothers him.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,737
    Rep Power
    405116

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Man, not saying this as putting the new HC Bailiff down. But, I truly believe with some help in recruiting that the Carthage HS HC Surratt would’ve been a better hire. He has won state state several times and knows how to run an explosive offense. Plus, losing grates him. Really bothers him.
    Id love to see a list of applicants. hard for me to believe we couldnt have had more vision here. Im also hearing the general alumni reaction has not been positive.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Id love to see a list of applicants. hard for me to believe we couldnt have had more vision here. Im also hearing the general alumni reaction has not been positive.
    Yep, Carthage won again tonight and advances to the semis. If they win state this year it will be his 7th state title in the 12 seasons he’s been there. Remarkable feat by any standards.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    3rd stall on the left
    Posts
    3,985
    Rep Power
    64194

    Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Man, not saying this as putting the new HC Bailiff down. But, I truly believe with some help in recruiting that the Carthage HS HC Surratt would’ve been a better hire. He has won state state several times and knows how to run an explosive offense. Plus, losing grates him. Really bothers him.
    There’s a decent number of coaches who don’t enjoy losing.

    High school and college two different animals.

    Gerry Faust anyone ?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •