Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Don't YOU forget your words 5 years from now when his recruits make up the entire team.

Oh wait.....LionFan will be the lone TAMUC poster then, nevermind.

(Just poking fun).

I hope he brings everything to TAMUC that they expect.

Starting to feel like the LSC is becoming a recycling plant.
    Last Shot at Coaching

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Last Shot at Coaching

That will be true when KK comes back to Texas. Because it won’t be to coach a big boy school.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    That will be true when KK comes back to Texas. Because it won’t be to coach a big boy school.
    He should’ve never got the job to begin with. Too young and inexperienced in dealing with a team as a whole instead of just QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Last Shot at Coaching
    Well, the Angelo State hire was puzzling and in my estimation will be a continuation of the status quo for reasons I discussed on another thread.

Now, a retread at TAMUC that says a lot about what the AD thinks about the program. One, he thinks the recruits will continue to go there regardless of HC. Two, he is ok with just being competitive within the conference.

Conference is wide open with the exception of MW. Not sure what to expect out of Tarleton or WT next year. Definitely a step back for TAMUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Well, the Angelo State hire was puzzling and in my estimation will be a continuation of the status quo for reasons I discussed on another thread.

Now, a retread at TAMUC that says a lot about what the AD thinks about the program. One, he thinks the recruits will continue to go there regardless of HC. Two, he is ok with just being competitive within the conference.

Conference is wide open with the exception of MW. Not sure what to expect out of Tarleton or WT next year. Definitely a step back for TAMUC.
    Techster said it, so shall it be. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    Techster said it, so shall it be. Lol
    He has been pretty darn accurate all year.

I think a lot of people feel Storm was the logical choice but was not given real consideration. Baliff was the 3rd choice 2 others turned it down.

Who were the other two?

RMAC Head Coach and a Texas DI FBS assistant

Quote Originally Posted by DIIguru View Post
    RMAC Head Coach and a Texas DI FBS assistant
    I believe there was a third who also turned down. No?

I believe there was a third who also turned down. No?

They turned down Commerce? Things that make you say Hmm?

This is one of those rare instances a coach looking for a new job in this business kind of dreams of. Taking over a program with three consecutive great seasons, etc. Most of them are taking over a program which had been spinning its wheels or is a complete dumpster fire.

This is one of those rare instances a coach looking for a new job in this business kind of dreams of. Taking over a program with three consecutive great seasons, etc. Most of them are taking over a program which had been spinning its wheels or is a complete dumpster fire.
    Alot easier to succeed at a dumpster fire, case in pount Nesbitt at WT.

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Alot easier to succeed at a dumpster fire, case in pount Nesbitt at WT.
    Nesbitt succeeded one year with the holdovers from the previous coaching staff. After that, he WAS the dumpster fire.

Its common knowledge now that the job was offered to Wristan at Pueblo. He got a Nice raise at CSU Pueblo and turned it down. There were a couple MIAA and GAC head coaches who applied along with several DI assistants and fcs coordinators. One TX LSC Head Coach very actively pursued the position but did not “officially” apply.
    Last edited by DIIguru; 12-09-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DIIguru View Post
    Its common knowledge now that the job was offered to Wristan at Pueblo. He got a Nice raise at CSU Pueblo and turned it down. There were a couple MIAA and GAC head coaches who applied along with several DI assistants and fcs coordinators. One TX LSC Head Coach very actively pursued the position but did not “officially” apply.
    I bet he was just trying to get a raise. It's a good move by established head coaches that are highly prized at their current school.

Yes. Without hesitation.

Things aren't always as they appear. Lets just say there are a lot of moving parts.....and Carthel left just at the right time.

Yes. Without hesitation.

Things aren't always as they appear. Lets just say there are a lot of moving parts.....and Carthel left just at the right time.
    LOL. yeah, this whole joint is circling the drain. LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    LOL. yeah, this whole joint is circling the drain. LMAO.
    LOL

I'm cautiously optimistic about the hire. I think if we had never hired Guy Morriss, people would be a lot more excited about Bailiff. It's easy to just stick the "not young/former D1 coach" label on him and assume he's going to be Morriss II. I dont think that at all for a lot of different reasons, but I can understand the hesitation to get excited because of it.

I'm going to take a shocking stance here, on a message board, and take a "give him a chance/wait and see how it plays out" view. I don't know everything, and I don't have a crystal ball. Crazy, I know. But I think if you look around online about what other coaches/football people are saying, this is a home run hire. He's also keeping a couple of guys around from the Carthel staff so some stability will help initially/recruiting. One of my closest friends was around him on a day to day basis for years at Rice, and he thinks Bailiff is great. Texas high school coaches across the state love the guy and have been very outspoken about the hire.

We will see.
    Last edited by LionFan; 12-10-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic about the hire. I think if we had never hired Guy Morriss, people would be a lot more excited about Bailiff. It's easy to just stick the "not young/former D1 coach" label on him and assume he's going to be Morriss II. I dont think that at all for a lot of different reasons, but I can understand the hesitation to get excited because of it.

I'm going to take a shocking stance here, on a message board, and take a "give him a chance/wait and see how it plays out" view. I don't know everything, and I don't have a crystal ball. Crazy, I know. But I think if you look around online about what other coaches/football people are saying, this is a home run hire. He's also keeping a couple of guys around from the Carthel staff so some stability will help initially/recruiting. One of my closest friends was around him on a day to day basis for years at Rice, and he thinks Bailiff is great. Texas high school coaches across the state love the guy and have been very outspoken about the hire.

We will see.
    I agree. I think this is the source of much of the reluctance. However, usually DII hires are young up and comers, not former DI's, unless the DI is trying to rehabilitate themselves after some scandal at the DI level. Thais not the case with Bailiff, so I'm like you in that the jury, so to speak is till out on this one. It doesn't fit the typical mold, but that is not always bad.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast