Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by TheLionWire View Post
    Per CFB Nation via Twitter, David Bailiff is the new man in Commerce.
    YIKES!!!!

78–95 as a HC. He was 1-11 last ('17) season.

THIS is the guy TAMUC chose to pick up where Carthel left off?????

GEEZ-US!!!

2. Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Personally, I am very surprised by the hire, but cautiously optimistic. Flashing FBS credentials will get you nowhere in Commerce after some of the program history, but Bailiff has had more success coming in than Coach Morris. Morris has one season above .500 in his entire head coaching career; Coach Carthel tied him in year 1. And short of announcing Colby is back this hire was bound to come with trepidation or at minimum skepticism.

But Rice football has 5 bowl appearances since the early 60s, and 4 of those were under Coach Bailiff (with a 3-1 record.) In addition, he has three 10+ win seasons as the head guy, and tied the school win record at Rice twice. Also, these accomplishments are spaced out enough that he didn’t just catch fire with the previous regime’s squad.

Coach Storm was my preferred pick going in as well, but as mentioned none of us can say for sure if he even wanted it. If Storm was interested and still wasn’t chosen then I hope that doesn’t end up a mistake. I believe this administration garnered some confidence from the Von Rosenburg hire though.

Off the field I like the hire quite a bit. He has an established coaching career free of scandals/infractions, and had multiple years where his team’s graduation rate was 100%. Part of that is coaching at Rice, but smart kids mess up too so 100% deserves praise. Coach Carthel’s national championship team set a school record for GPA so yet again Coach Bailiff will not be able to easily best Colby, but I am happy the new hire isn’t a win at all costs guy.

Most importantly, I imagine a new scheme and disruption to recruiting will lead to some growing pains. If we don’t win it all in year one that is okay, and I hope our fan base is willing to acknowledge the best hire is someone who can win long term. If this upcoming season ends 1-10 then we should all sound the alarm; if the team is in the running for a conference crown then I consider that a success. With Tarleton losing so many to graduation, and Midwestern losing Rabb as well as a number of skill guys the Lions could do well returning 30 of the two deep.

Lastly, I want to echo many others who have wished Colby the best. I hate to see him go, but respect that he wants to repeat the process at a higher level of competition. He took over a dumpster fire of a program, and got it #ToTheTop. Now since Storm isn’t the pick in Commerce I hope Colby steals Deason back, and recreates his magic up through FBS.

3. Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    YIKES!!!!

78–95 as a HC. He was 1-11 last ('17) season.

THIS is the guy TAMUC chose to pick up where Carthel left off?????

GEEZ-US!!!
    Girsch looks like Bailiff’s son.

Quote Originally Posted by We-Are-Lions View Post
    Personally, I am very surprised by the hire, but cautiously optimistic. Flashing FBS credentials will get you nowhere in Commerce after some of the program history, but Bailiff has had more success coming in than Coach Morris. Morris has one season above .500 in his entire head coaching career; Coach Carthel tied him in year 1. And short of announcing Colby is back this hire was bound to come with trepidation or at minimum skepticism.

But Rice football has 5 bowl appearances since the early 60s, and 4 of those were under Coach Bailiff (with a 3-1 record.) In addition, he has three 10+ win seasons as the head guy, and tied the school win record at Rice twice. Also, these accomplishments are spaced out enough that he didn’t just catch fire with the previous regime’s squad.

Coach Storm was my preferred pick going in as well, but as mentioned none of us can say for sure if he even wanted it. If Storm was interested and still wasn’t chosen then I hope that doesn’t end up a mistake. I believe this administration garnered some confidence from the Von Rosenburg hire though.

Off the field I like the hire quite a bit. He has an established coaching career free of scandals/infractions, and had multiple years where his team’s graduation rate was 100%. Part of that is coaching at Rice, but smart kids mess up too so 100% deserves praise. Coach Carthel’s national championship team set a school record for GPA so yet again Coach Bailiff will not be able to easily best Colby, but I am happy the new hire isn’t a win at all costs guy.

Most importantly, I imagine a new scheme and disruption to recruiting will lead to some growing pains. If we don’t win it all in year one that is okay, and I hope our fan base is willing to acknowledge the best hire is someone who can win long term. If this upcoming season ends 1-10 then we should all sound the alarm; if the team is in the running for a conference crown then I consider that a success. With Tarleton losing so many to graduation, and Midwestern losing Rabb as well as a number of skill guys the Lions could do well returning 30 of the two deep.

Lastly, I want to echo many others who have wished Colby the best. I hate to see him go, but respect that he wants to repeat the process at a higher level of competition. He took over a dumpster fire of a program, and got it #ToTheTop. Now since Storm isn’t the pick in Commerce I hope Colby steals Deason back, and recreates his magic up through FBS.
    Listen, to anyone optimistic....even cautiously....with a HC who has a .450 win %....I say GOD bless!!

Girsch looks like Bailiff’s son.
    Hahaha.....maybe he.....

Nah.

6. Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Listen, to anyone optimistic....even cautiously....with a HC who has a .450 win %....I say GOD bless!!
    That doesn’t even begin to tell his story.

He is second all time in Rice football history in wins, and third all time in winning percentage; one of the guys ahead of him in win percentage coached one season and went 7-6. Rice is perennially bad and he guided them to the most success they had in more than 50 years.

Keep your eye out for Prince Mavula....he may be something really special for MSU-Texas.

He is second all time in Rice football history in wins, and third all time in winning percentage; one of the guys ahead of him in win percentage coached one season and went 7-6. Rice is perennially bad and he guided them to the most success they had in more than 50 years.
    You are right.... .416 tells the WHOLE story at Rice.

You are wrong....he is 8th in win % at Rice.

Carthel has the IT factor.....this guy does not.

Like I said...GOD bless.

9. Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Like I said...GOD bless.
    Well to clarify, I mentioned in the last 50 years (and therefore under the current bowl/rankings system since every other guy above him was pre 1940s.)

I agree with you Coach Carthel is who everyone in Commerce wanted. But unless Colby returned there wasn’t a hire that would make the entire fan base giddy. And simply hiring a younger, successful coordinator doesn’t guarantee success. Look at Wagner and Wilkinson; Hughes at WT is still a wait and see.

I was hoping for Storm, but this guy had multiple 10 win seasons at RICE so he can coach and recruit.

I, too, would like to see the list of applicants. I can't believe that the TAMUC job was not the premier job opportunity in Division II. It should have drawn the interest of every good young coach in the country.

I’d try to put lipstick on a pig as well...

Default Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Bowl games today are nothing but a participation ribbon type of thing. If you can't get into one, you really, really suck.

Really Commerce should of done a little more of a search. I recall when he was at Texas State and watching one the playoff games they were involved in and he really did a bad job in that game. I might be fuzzy on the details, but Texas State got the ball with 90 or so seconds on the clock around their own 40 and instead of trying to score and win the game in regulation, he chose to burn the clock and take the game to OT. And guess what? They lost! And everything that season was lining up for Texas State to make it to the title game. They had a transfer QB from one of the big boy schools who was fun to watch and they were just darn good for a change in San Marcos. It was right around the time they did the name change, so that also helped with promoting their new brand.
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 12-08-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Like I said...GOD bless.
    First of all I would say I don’t know if Rice is a good measuring stick for any coach. Very difficult to recruit the right kid there. The school is very small around 4K undergrads. Competing in big boy football today is only because they were doing years ago when all universities were small. Really should be playing FCS.

That being said, he knew all of this coming into Rice. The fact that he had some really good seasons there and apparently didn’t look elsewhere to spring board tells me he was just happy to be there. So, at the end of the day your record is who you are IMO.

His first 2 years should be his best until Carthel’s recruits are washed out. After that I see a complacent middle of the pack Lion team with some good years mixed in. That’s his MO and I don’t this leopard losing his spots or becoming something different.

Not a big fan of his offense either, but maybe it has evolved from what I last saw. Running QB makes or breaks the team. Usually the latter because QBs can’t make the season without tearing their knees up.

How patient will the Lion fan base be? IMO not very long because they have already seen that they don’t have to settle for mediocre. Lion Wire may commit HarryCarry before this experiment comes to an end!!

Well to clarify, I mentioned in the last 50 years (and therefore under the current bowl/rankings system since every other guy above him was pre 1940s.)

I agree with you Coach Carthel is who everyone in Commerce wanted. But unless Colby returned there wasn’t a hire that would make the entire fan base giddy. And simply hiring a younger, successful coordinator doesn’t guarantee success. Look at Wagner and Wilkinson; Hughes at WT is still a wait and see.

I was hoping for Storm, but this guy had multiple 10 win seasons at RICE so he can coach and recruit.
    Keep polishing the nob- it could use still a bit of shine.

15. Default Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Don’t everyone forget all the criticism of this hire 3 years from now.

You won’t find a soul in Commerce, myself included, that will say this is an upgrade from Colby. But... I don’t think there is one. And as Jake noted, Storm was the next best option for most of us.

All that said, this hire is plenty good enough to own the conference going forward.

You won’t find a soul in Commerce, myself included, that will say this is an upgrade from Colby. But... I don’t think there is one. And as Jake noted, Storm was the next best option for most of us.

All that said, this hire is plenty good enough to own the conference going forward.
    I wish I shared your optimism buddy, I really do. What will be most telling is when we see who/how many players bail this semester and what we have left. If we lose many key pieces this might be doomed before it gets afloat. I just dont see players being excited to play for this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    ROFLMAO .... comparing Saban to Bailiff. Your killing me. Whew!!! Almost blew all the tea out of my mouth when I read this. Thanks for the good laugh.

Comparing a multiple NC coach to a guy who wasn’t even .500 in 10 seasons is like comparing a pack mule to a thoroughbred.
    He was whining about age is several posts. Just thought I'd point out several older coaches that are successful. I truly couldn't care less who the coach in Commerce is.

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    I truly couldn't care less who the coach in Commerce is.
    Thank you for correctly using this cliche. You're like one out of one hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Thank you for correctly using this cliche. You're like one out of one hundred.
    Lol. Thanks.

Don't YOU forget your words 5 years from now when his recruits make up the entire team.

Oh wait.....LionFan will be the lone TAMUC poster then, nevermind.

(Just poking fun).

I hope he brings everything to TAMUC that they expect.

Starting to feel like the LSC is becoming a recycling plant.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast