Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 101 to 119 of 119

Thread: Coaching Moves

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Durham, N.C.
    Posts
    4,255
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    Who says Dean is set? I seriously doubt Hatcher leaves Samford but I also didn't realize he was considering returning in 2016. Coaching is a weird business.

    Also, Samford went to the playoffs in 2016 and 2017 while their QB won the Walter Payton Award this year.

    Well.... there is that. Last year he was 6 - 5.
    Personally would like to have some new blood. He may fine, but doubt seriously he comes back,

    And yes, Coaching is weird business.

  2. Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Hatcher may be after quality of coaching life not quantity and he would be welcomed back with open arms. Attendance would increase in addition to booster support. If not another Hatch Attack, how about his current assistant Callaway. Ties to program and might be good fit.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,810
    Rep Power
    250104

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    Who says Dean is set? I seriously doubt Hatcher leaves Samford but I also didn't realize he was considering returning in 2016. Coaching is a weird business.

    Also, Samford went to the playoffs in 2016 and 2017 while their QB won the Walter Payton Award this year.
    Rumor has it Dean and and the VSU AD don't see eye to eye anymore.

  4. #104

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    Obviously, the top names to possibly replace Bell are his two predecessors, Hatcher and Dean.

    Any rumors out there Blazer Nation?
    Please not Dean

  5. Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Braves'86 View Post
    Rumor has it Dean and and the VSU AD don't see eye to eye anymore.
    It’s probably about time that Valdosta State should start working on an early retirement package for their Athletic Director.

  6. Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Please VSU hire Russ Callaway.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Valdosta, GA.
    Posts
    37,800
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by RealisticBlazer View Post
    Hatcher may be after quality of coaching life not quantity and he would be welcomed back with open arms. Attendance would increase in addition to booster support. If not another Hatch Attack, how about his current assistant Callaway. Ties to program and might be good fit.
    It wouldn't take long to make a list a former players in the coaching profession that could fill a lot of positions. And who better to pass on Blazer tradition and pride to these young players than former Blazers.

    #BlazerNation

  8. #108
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Valdosta
    Posts
    5,961
    Rep Power
    151509

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Rollodex View Post
    Please not Dean
    Not that I think a Dean deal would happen, but it wasn't a great day for us when Dean left to go teach Southern how to throw the ball.

    Dean has a lifetime HC win percentage of 75% (for comparison, Hatcher's is 66%, Mumme's is 69%, Will Hall is 74%, K Bell is 64%, Kirby Smart is 76%. For the highest achievers, Saban does beat him at 78% (touted as the greatest coach ever). BTW, Dabo beats Saban at 79% but has the same number of NC's as Dean).

    Dean has averaged 9 wins a year as a HC over 11 years.

    There are only two HC's in D2 with multiple NC's. One is Adam Dorel at NWMSU (he has 3). The other is David Dean with 2.

    Dean has another as OC.

    He's a 2 time national Coach of the Year. He's never had a losing season as a HC. He's been coaching college ball since 1988, and 21 of those years have been here with the remainder at UWG.

    Out of the last 15 years VSU has won 4 NC's. If you'll take 15 and divide it by 4 you'll know that every 3 years and 9 months we've won a NC during that time. That means for every recruit that comes for 4 or 5 years they would statistically win a NC. That's a heckova recruiting tool. Dean's a HUGE part of that (he was a key cog when the foundation was laid and was the HC when the tradition was built).

    He's not loud and brash like a Hall or a Bowden. He just wins championships. And a huge plus for Dean: I know that when the kids leave after playing for him they'll be better young men for the experience.

    I think it'd be a very unlikely and a long shot that it'd ever happen, but I'd take David Dean back in a heartbeat.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    8,345
    Rep Power
    640465

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Agreed. It's a long shot but coaches do return. Bobby Wallace came out of a brief retirement for a second stint at UNA.

    Also, I think coaches leave good situations and potentially have second thoughts for whatever reason. Interesting you mention Dorrel. He might wish he was back at NWMSU after going 8-14 in his two seasons at Ablilene Christian so far.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Valdosta
    Posts
    5,961
    Rep Power
    151509

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    Also, I think coaches leave good situations and potentially have second thoughts for whatever reason. Interesting you mention Dorrel. He might wish he was back at NWMSU after going 8-14 in his two seasons at Ablilene Christian so far.
    Thanks for the fact check - forgot Dorel was at ACU.

    Does that make Dean the only active D2 coach with multiple D2 NC’s?
    Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 01-12-2019 at 08:12 AM.

  11. Default Re: Coaching Moves

    VSU wouldn't give Dean a raise to keep him; so, he left for Georgia Southern. VSU then turned around and hired a coach at a $50K higher salary than what it was paying Dean. Let that sink in.

    UWG is paying Dean roughly $50K more than VSU was paying him. He's got everything he needs to win at UWG.

    Does anyone really think that on a purely professional level that he would have any interest in going back to VSU.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Durham, N.C.
    Posts
    4,255
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    ...
    Last edited by Wide_Right; 01-13-2019 at 08:49 AM.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Durham, N.C.
    Posts
    4,255
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    ...

  14. #114

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    former Blazer Defensive Coordinator Ashley Anders is a name to keep an eye on. he could come in and keep Bell as OC. Buster Faulkner is another name Im hearing. he has a great resume and is a former QB under Hatcher/Dean.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    8,345
    Rep Power
    640465

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Tulane: Source tells FootballScoop Willie Fritz is expected to hire University of Georgia grad assistant Cody Kennedy as his offensive line coach at Tulane. Prior to joining the staff at Georgia, Kennedy had coached offensive line at West Georgia and had been at West Alabama with new Tulane offensive coordinator Will Hall. Kennedy played his college ball nearby at Southeastern Louisiana.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Abilene
    Posts
    17,890
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    Agreed. It's a long shot but coaches do return. Bobby Wallace came out of a brief retirement for a second stint at UNA.

    Also, I think coaches leave good situations and potentially have second thoughts for whatever reason. Interesting you mention Dorrel. He might wish he was back at NWMSU after going 8-14 in his two seasons at Ablilene Christian so far.
    Dorrel had to reshape the culture and implement a new and very different offensive system at ACU. After winning only two games in his first year ACU went 6-5 last year and brings back most starters on both sides of the ball Next season. He may wonder if he made the right decision to leave Maryville from time to time but he has to feel good about the progress the program has made since his arrival and the prospects for a brighter future.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Valdosta
    Posts
    518
    Rep Power
    34711

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Rollodex View Post
    Please not Dean
    Ditto

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    8,345
    Rep Power
    640465

    Default Re: Coaching Moves

    Delta State (D-II – MS): Geoff Terry, who previously served as the corners coach at Wingate (D-II – NC), has accepted the defensive backs job, per source.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,810
    Rep Power
    250104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    Tulane: Source tells FootballScoop Willie Fritz is expected to hire University of Georgia grad assistant Cody Kennedy as his offensive line coach at Tulane. Prior to joining the staff at Georgia, Kennedy had coached offensive line at West Georgia and had been at West Alabama with new Tulane offensive coordinator Will Hall. Kennedy played his college ball nearby at Southeastern Louisiana.
    Awesome

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •