Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FBS football

Default FBS football

You guys think that this format will continue ? PAC 12 B1G champs not getting a shot 2 years in a row ? Your thoughts

Default Re: FBS football

Plus Central Florida going undefeated again. The movement to a larger playoff will come from Power Five coaches and commissioners whose schools were left out. So we need the PAC12 and Big Ten commishes to raise a stink...and Central Florida to do something brash again the same way Utah, Boise State, and Texas Christian did several years ago (i.e. win and don't go away quietly). But if it does go to 8 teams expect CFP to guarantee Power Five conference champions a spot then three "at large" spots designed to favor P5 also-rans just like the NCAA did when they expanded the March Madness bracket to 64.

I really liked the proposal I read in a Yahoo column last week: have the quarterfinals on campus sites the weekend that we currently have conference championship games and then conduct the semifinals and finals in the current manner. I really had zero interest in any of those games last weekend other than to see if UGA could upset Alabama. And even then, I didn't really care all that much. The game I ended up watching the most of was, oddly enough, Fresno State at Boise State. That was an awesome game.

4. Default Re: FBS football

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    I really liked the proposal I read in a Yahoo column last week: have the quarterfinals on campus sites the weekend that we currently have conference championship games and then conduct the semifinals and finals in the current manner. I really had zero interest in any of those games last weekend other than to see if UGA could upset Alabama. And even then, I didn't really care all that much. The game I ended up watching the most of was, oddly enough, Fresno State at Boise State. That was an awesome game.
    I like that idea as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Conference games must be played.

I used to be all for expanding the College Football Playoff. I’m not anymore. Keep it at four. It’s the right number. The gap from the top on down is wide. It’s getting wider, not smaller.

Take a look back at the previous semifinal games. Over half have been non-competitive or blowouts. I’m not for having more of those games. The reality is that there’s about 10-14 teams tops that have the resources, recent history of success, and support structure from fans and big money donors to be “in the mix” almost every year. Nobody else can consistently recruit to that level or maintain it.

ACC: Clemson, Florida State
    Big 10: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State
    Big 12: Oklahoma, Texas
    SEC: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia
    PAC 12: USC, Washington
    Other: Notre Dame

That list is college football. There’s no parity. It’s a game that caters to the 15 or so programs that have giant stadiums and big fanbases. Four is the right number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Big 10 champ Ohio State wants in, don't lose to 6-6 Purdue, among other poor performances this season.
    If PAC 12 champ Washington wants in, don't play FCS North Dakota, among other poor performances this season.

I'm all in favor of a 8 team playoff where there the P5 conference champs all get the auto bid and there are 3 at large bids with one going to the highest ranked G5 member as long as they finish within the top 10 in that instance an undefeated UCF, Boise State, Houston squad would almost be assured of a playoff spot with a conference runner up from 2 P5 schools getting the nod. The top G5 schools have trouble scheduling top 10 P5 schools because they want the games played at a 2/1 return or they refuse to answer the call as they know there's a chance if they lose they'll be needing to run the table in their tough conference schedule to keep their playoff hopes alive in the current format. UCF played Pittsburgh this year a mid level P5 school who actually went to the ACC title game but didn't get any points for winning that game and they knocked off a ranked Cincy team as well. The FAU game on paper before the season looked like a legit test as they were expected to duplicate last seasons win total but ended up being 5-7 this season somehow. Were they better than the 4 schools selected no especially with their starting star QB being knocked out for the season 2 weeks ago but they deserve better than a NY6 bowl game again.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I used to be all for expanding the College Football Playoff. I’m not anymore. Keep it at four. It’s the right number. The gap from the top on down is wide. It’s getting wider, not smaller.

Take a look back at the previous semifinal games. Over half have been non-competitive or blowouts. I’m not for having more of those games. The reality is that there’s about 10-14 teams tops that have the resources, recent history of success, and support structure from fans and big money donors to be “in the mix” almost every year. Nobody else can consistently recruit to that level or maintain it.

ACC: Clemson, Florida State
    Big 10: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State
    Big 12: Oklahoma, Texas
    SEC: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia
    PAC 12: USC, Washington
    Other: Notre Dame

That list is college football. There’s no parity. It’s a game that caters to the 15 or so programs that have giant stadiums and big fanbases. Four is the right number.

The playoff is what is creating that Gap. Recruits might wanna go to a certain school but only a few will even get a chance to go to the playoff. ESECPN will always guarantee an SEC school two if they can at all times so that boosts them. I try not to be a conspiracy guy but I just find it hard to believe that the conferences partnered with Fox gets the short end of the stick. It feels like the committee does everything in their power to prevent the perception that the B1G is equal or better than the SEC. If Bama lost by 29 to a 6-6 South Carolina team or Arkansas team in a night game on the road, the narrative would be the team had the game of their life blah blah Something is wrong with Bama. The media uses close games in the SEC as a testament to the strength of the conference but Ohio State struggles it’s because they suck not that there are good coaches in the B1G that scheme very well. All I’m saying switch the names on the jersies and tell me if Bama would’ve beat a 4th ranked Auburn by 30 and a ranked opponent in the SEC chip by 21 and ended up 12-1 going 5-0 against ranked opponents they would be sitting at home to an OU team giving up 40+ a game on defense with zero top ten wins and 2-1 against ranked opponents.
    Last edited by GhostOfHomer01; 12-04-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Urban is stepping down after the bowl game per Yahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    I'm all in favor of a 8 team playoff where there the P5 conference champs all get the auto bid and there are 3 at large bids with one going to the highest ranked G5 member as long as they finish within the top 10 in that instance an undefeated UCF, Boise State, Houston squad would almost be assured of a playoff spot with a conference runner up from 2 P5 schools getting the nod. The top G5 schools have trouble scheduling top 10 P5 schools because they want the games played at a 2/1 return or they refuse to answer the call as they know there's a chance if they lose they'll be needing to run the table in their tough conference schedule to keep their playoff hopes alive in the current format. UCF played Pittsburgh this year a mid level P5 school who actually went to the ACC title game but didn't get any points for winning that game and they knocked off a ranked Cincy team as well. The FAU game on paper before the season looked like a legit test as they were expected to duplicate last seasons win total but ended up being 5-7 this season somehow. Were they better than the 4 schools selected no especially with their starting star QB being knocked out for the season 2 weeks ago but they deserve better than a NY6 bowl game again.
    Good in theory but the P5 conferences will do everything they can to squeeze out a UCF, Boise State, Utah State, or Fresno State. P5 fans yell "Play someone better!" but they'll celebrate when their team hires that coach. The football coaches also don't want to experience what happens in March Madness when their fans call for their head and dump garbage on the lawns of the local typing teacher because they lost to school the fans have never heard of like UMBC. It also keeps those schools out of their conferences. Giving everyone equal opportunity keeps upstarts like Butler or Wichita State in their respective lower tier conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I bet 6-12 months from now he is further implicated in the Zach Smith ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I bet 6-12 months from now he is further implicated in the Zach Smith ordeal.
    When he leaves town ... shiz about to hit the fan.

Can't believe Ohio State called a press conference for this afternoon. Why not just call a fourth timeout with less than a minute left in the Rose Bowl and walk across the field and out of the stadium? That would have been a lot less of a spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Can't believe Ohio State called a press conference for this afternoon. Why not just call a fourth timeout with less than a minute left in the Rose Bowl and walk across the field and out of the stadium? That would have been a lot less of a spectacle.

Post of the year. LOL.

When he leaves town ... shiz about to hit the fan.
    Nothing is going to come of that ...it’s over! Him stepping down is half about his health half about OSU doing a PR scrub following zack smith and the SA allegations from the gymnastics or swim coach. The media black balled OSU this year because of it and it cost them a spot in the playoff

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    Nothing is going to come of that ...it’s over! Him stepping down is half about his health half about OSU doing a PR scrub following zack smith and the SA allegations from the gymnastics or swim coach. The media black balled OSU this year because of it and it cost them a spot in the playoff
    Getting blown out by Purdue didn't help.

Come on...

Are you old enough to remember the fallout from Tressel at YSU and OSU when he was forced out?

The playoff is what is creating that Gap. Recruits might wanna go to a certain school but only a few will even get a chance to go to the playoff. ESECPN will always guarantee an SEC school two if they can at all times so that boosts them. I try not to be a conspiracy guy but I just find it hard to believe that the conferences partnered with Fox gets the short end of the stick. It feels like the committee does everything in their power to prevent the perception that the B1G is equal or better than the SEC. If Bama lost by 29 to a 6-6 South Carolina team or Arkansas team in a night game on the road, the narrative would be the team had the game of their life blah blah Something is wrong with Bama. The media uses close games in the SEC as a testament to the strength of the conference but Ohio State struggles it’s because they suck not that there are good coaches in the B1G that scheme very well. All I’m saying switch the names on the jersies and tell me if Bama would’ve beat a 4th ranked Auburn by 30 and a ranked opponent in the SEC chip by 21 and ended up 12-1 going 5-0 against ranked opponents they would be sitting at home to an OU team giving up 40+ a game on defense with zero top ten wins and 2-1 against ranked opponents.

The gap was already there. The playoff had nothing to do with that. College football is about resources. Schools and programs that I listed have millions getting dumped into their football programs. Tour any of the facilities at those schools. The amenities they have are nicer than any team in the NFL. Outside of a small number of other programs in addition to that list I gave, the rest of the country does not have the donor base and support to create that.

The more money and resources you have, the larger of a competitive advantage you create. Ohio State and Alabama have former NFL coaches that gameplan and help with preparation through the week, but don’t coach on gameday. Those types of schools have an entire staff that does nothing but help with recruiting. 95% of college football programs can’t do that stuff.

James Franklin spent 10 minutes talking about his program going from great to elite. He wasn’t talking about getting better players or coaches, he was asking his donors and fans to open the checkbook more. That’s all it’s about man.

College football is catered to those types of programs. There’s no parity. Adding more teams to the playoff won’t change that. Over half of the games played in the College Football Playoff have been either non-competitive or blowouts. I’m not interested in having more of those just so one of the teams I listed will inevitably still win each season.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast