Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: FBS football

Contribute to D2

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

G5 conferences should start blocking games with P5 conferences to force equal access to the playoff. It would force P5 schools to have to schedule FCS or other P5 schools, which they dislike doing unless its a rivalry.
    Those schools won’t ever give up that payday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Default Re: FBS football

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I believer 8 is the perfect format. You can hold the first round games on the campus of the higher seed, and then continue with the following two rounds as the set-up for the current model.

The conference champion from each Power 5 school, plus 3 wild-cards. That is the fairest method in my opinion. It gives schools like UCF a chance, and schools like Boise and Utah from years past a chance. I am not saying they would win it, but lets be honest, each time those schools made a major bowl game, they won against one of those Power 5 schools.
    Why does each power 5 conference need to be represented? What would it add to this year’s playoff to put in a 10-3 Washington team? UCF is a nice story but their only p5 win this year was against Pitt. Teams like that win bowl games against p5 programs because that game means the world to a team like UCF while for an SEC or Big 10 team, getting put in a bowl game against a UCF is a letdown. Put UCF in a playoff game against a motivated Alabama or Ohio State or Georgia and they’ll get curb stomped like Cal did against Assumption.

4 is a good number. Keep the conference championship games. Those give a lot more teams a chance to play meaningful games all season than putting four more teams in the playoff would.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Why does each power 5 conference need to be represented? What would it add to this year’s playoff to put in a 10-3 Washington team? UCF is a nice story but their only p5 win this year was against Pitt. Teams like that win bowl games against p5 programs because that game means the world to a team like UCF while for an SEC or Big 10 team, getting put in a bowl game against a UCF is a letdown. Put UCF in a playoff game against a motivated Alabama or Ohio State or Georgia and they’ll get curb stomped like Cal did against Assumption.

4 is a good number. Keep the conference championship games. Those give a lot more teams a chance to play meaningful games all season than putting four more teams in the playoff would.

Agreed.

Default Re: FBS football

Its unfair to punish because of schedule. I saw a school who has one team scheduled every year through 2026. A team can be a strong team in spite of its conference - case in point with the Harvard of Indiana County. The PSAC isn't considered a P5 in D2 but they get a shot. Nobody will ever admit it but one of the things the P5 is afraid of is an upstart like UCF making us question the superiority of the P5 conferences. As I said before, they absolutely don't want to spread around the TV money.

I think the best compromise is to have the championship games and give automatic spots to conference champions. Sure, that leaves you open to having a mediocre Pitt team in the playoff if they beat Clemson - but allowing for some objective way to decide at-large bids. Sorry, Notre Dame. You can't win a conference so you have to compete with everyone else for an at-large spot.

5. Default Re: FBS football

case in point with the Harvard of Indiana County.
    Now that's some high praise. Can you even say that?

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Now that's some high praise. Can you even say that?
    You and I both know you're more the Dartmouth of Indiana County but whatever.

7. Default Re: FBS football

Its unfair to punish because of schedule. I saw a school who has one team scheduled every year through 2026. A team can be a strong team in spite of its conference - case in point with the Harvard of Indiana County. The PSAC isn't considered a P5 in D2 but they get a shot. Nobody will ever admit it but one of the things the P5 is afraid of is an upstart like UCF making us question the superiority of the P5 conferences. As I said before, they absolutely don't want to spread around the TV money.

I think the best compromise is to have the championship games and give automatic spots to conference champions. Sure, that leaves you open to having a mediocre Pitt team in the playoff if they beat Clemson - but allowing for some objective way to decide at-large bids. Sorry, Notre Dame. You can't win a conference so you have to compete with everyone else for an at-large spot.
    A lot is unfair about the process but I’m not sure how else you evaluate teams against one another when they don’t play in one uniform league, other than to look at who they play.

You can keep adding teams to make it more “fair” but, at the risk of sounding old, you keep stripping away more of what gave college football it’s charm. I’m old enough to remember when New Year’s day was the best day on the football calendar and it wasn’t even close. Now unless the semifinals fall on that day (have they yet?), it’s very blah other than the Rose Bowl.

A lot is unfair about the process but I’m not sure how else you evaluate teams against one another when they don’t play in one uniform league, other than to look at who they play.

You can keep adding teams to make it more “fair” but, at the risk of sounding old, you keep stripping away more of what gave college football it’s charm. I’m old enough to remember when New Year’s day was the best day on the football calendar and it wasn’t even close. Now unless the semifinals fall on that day (have they yet?), it’s very blah other than the Rose Bowl.

I’m 25. The Rose Bowl doesn’t even interest me anymore. That’s how much it’s all changed.

I like 4 teams. I’m with you on all of this.

Something should be on New Year's Day whether it be the semis or the championship. There's no way it can't be done if every other division of college football can do a full playoff.

I agree with you on how its all lost its lustre - but this all started when the BCS started saying certain teams are more or less worthy by way of conference affiliation. Penn State and Pitt would never have been national champions using today's judgment. You have to give EVERYONE an opportunity to win a championship by expanding the bracket or by going back to letting the AP crown a champion.

Suppose DII said "We're not guaranteeing the SR 1 champion a berth in the Final Four". That's kind of the way the Power 5 Conferences feel when their schools don't get a shot...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456