Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FBS football

Contribute to D2

Default Re: FBS football

They got the 4 schools right. UCF didn't play anyone outside their conference. Bama would have dirt rolled every team on the UCF schedule. The Pac 12 sucked... 2 loss teams don't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    They got the 4 schools right. UCF didn't play anyone outside their conference. Bama would have dirt rolled every team on the UCF schedule. The Pac 12 sucked... 2 loss teams don't belong.
    Could say the same thing about IUP or the PSAC...but last year they got a chance. This whole thing (and the BCS before it) is about preserving the Power Five cartel. The biggest threat to their gravy train and media love fest is an upstart like Central Florida being given a seat at their table.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Can't believe Ohio State called a press conference for this afternoon. Why not just call a fourth timeout with less than a minute left in the Rose Bowl and walk across the field and out of the stadium? That would have been a lot less of a spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Could say the same thing about IUP or the PSAC...but last year they got a chance. This whole thing (and the BCS before it) is about preserving the Power Five cartel. The biggest threat to their gravy train and media love fest is an upstart like Central Florida being given a seat at their table.
    22 posts before IUP came up. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Correct. As I said in my post, the game of college football caters to about 15 programs. That number might be a stretch. There’s no parity and it isn’t a level playing field. That won’t ever change. Adding more teams song change it either.

Watch/listen to Chris Fowler’s love affair every Saturday night with Ohio State’s crowd in the Horseshoe, or Penn State’s “organized full stadium whiteouts,” or “the swag surf” at Auburn, or the “traveling Dawg fans” when UGA is on the road.

He knows his role. He caters to that. It’s sickening. They don’t care about the rest of the teams competing in college football. A dozen or so. That’s it. It’s about what they can say to get the masses going. And it’s about catering towards those fanbases to keep throwing the dog the bone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    22 posts before IUP came up. Not bad.

Love this.

Getting blown out by Purdue didn't help.
    It didn’t but the committee said they hold more value over wins than losses. But as well all know they change their narrative by the day

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    It didn’t but the committee said they hold more value over wins than losses. But as well all know they change their narrative by the day

Regardless, the eye test matters at some point. Throw analytics out the window. People want to throw a pity party for Ohio State. Boo hoo.

They looked incredibly sluggish in many of their wins this year. Their defense allowed teams to move up and down the field on them all year. At no point did they ever “look” the part of one of the best four teams in the country. I’m not a UCF guy, but I would’ve rather seen UCF get in than Ohio State simply because the product was there. UCF looked fabulous from day one.

Even going into the Michigan game, people were still of the belief that if Ohio State beat Michigan they still had no shot. I think people are more mad at Georgia being ranked ahead of Ohio State with 2 losses. I have nothing invested in either, but the eye test matters to me, and I think to the committee too. Georgia “looked” like the better football team all season.

To your point, the loss absolutely matters. They set that standard two years ago when it came down to Penn State, a 2 loss big ten champion, and Washington at 11-1. Washington went because Penn State lost 42-3 to Michigan. And I don’t have a problem with that. I’m of the belief that it’s about your full body of work, not recency bias.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Regardless, the eye test matters at some point. Throw analytics out the window. People want to throw a pity party for Ohio State. Boo hoo.

They looked incredibly sluggish in many of their wins this year. Their defense allowed teams to move up and down the field on them all year. At no point did they ever “look” the part of one of the best four teams in the country. I’m not a UCF guy, but I would’ve rather seen UCF get in than Ohio State simply because the product was there. UCF looked fabulous from day one.

Even going into the Michigan game, people were still of the belief that if Ohio State beat Michigan they still had no shot. I think people are more mad at Georgia being ranked ahead of Ohio State with 2 losses. I have nothing invested in either, but the eye test matters to me, and I think to the committee too. Georgia “looked” like the better football team all season.

To your point, the loss absolutely matters. They set that standard two years ago when it came down to Penn State, a 2 loss big ten champion, and Washington at 11-1. Washington went because Penn State lost 42-3 to Michigan. And I don’t have a problem with that. I’m of the belief that it’s about your full body of work, not recency bias.

So having said all that how has OU who has the 111th defense out of 119 giving up 40+ a game and won 59-56 against 13 WVU the same week OSU beat 4 Michigan by 30 and playing sluggish against an overrated Texas team the next week merit entry into the playoff over OSU?! I get what you’re saying about OSU it’s true but how can you justify putting Lincoln Riley who is 0-3 in playoff games with the worst defense in P5 against THAT Bama team when you have Urban Meyer with a BETTER resume on deck. Explain to me how OUs body of work stacks up to OSU in the big ten and being 5-0 against ranked opponents with a top ten win

If penn state would’ve had only one loss they would’ve went but they had 2 that example is irrelevant to this year

So having said all that how has OU who has the 111th defense out of 119 giving up 40+ a game and won 59-56 against 13 WVU the same week OSU beat 4 Michigan by 30 and playing sluggish against an overrated Texas team the next week merit entry into the playoff over OSU?! I get what you’re saying about OSU it’s true but how can you justify putting Lincoln Riley who is 0-3 in playoff games with the worst defense in P5 against THAT Bama team when you have Urban Meyer with a BETTER resume on deck. Explain to me how OUs body of work stacks up to OSU in the big ten and being 5-0 against ranked opponents with a top ten win
    Because OU's only loss was on the road by a last second field goal and they defeated that same team later in the season, not a 29-point slam to a .500 team. And since you're identifying ranking of statistical categories, OU has the #1 overall offense and scoring offense in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Because OU's only loss was on the road by a last second field goal and they defeated that same team later in the season, not a 29-point slam to a .500 team. And since you're identifying ranking of statistical categories, OU has the #1 overall offense and scoring offense in the country.
    and Ohio state has number 2 offense in a conference that plays defense while not giving up 40 a game. Okay so that brings me back to my point. The committee values losses over wins, but they said the complete opposite last year. OU has beat nobody while OSU is 5-0 against ranked opponents with a top ten win in a blow out but one loss in the middle of the season trumps all other criterias

Nothing is going to come of that ...it’s over! Him stepping down is half about his health half about OSU doing a PR scrub following zack smith and the SA allegations from the gymnastics or swim coach. The media black balled OSU this year because of it and it cost them a spot in the playoff
    I agree with you there Homer!

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    I agree with you there Homer!
    Does the media pick the teams now?

Does the media pick the teams now?
    No BigIndians. But they REALLY play a part in the influencing the selection.

If penn state would’ve had only one loss they would’ve went but they had 2 that example is irrelevant to this year

It’s not really. There were strong and vocal supporters for putting Georgia into the playoff this year as much as there was Penn State two years ago. Difference is that you had 11-1 Washington with the worst SOS in the P5 versus Penn State’s two losses to Pitt and Michigan. Pitt was an 8-4 team that also beat the eventual national champion and Michigan was ranked in the Top 8 in the country all season.

On the surface, neither of those are bad losses. Both were losses to good teams. I can recall the committee saying they couldn’t get past Penn State’s loss to Michigan. They cared more about Penn State losing a football game by 39 points than they did about any other metric you could use. That’s absolutely relevant to this year. The precedent had already been set in that regard.

Lincoln Riley’s record in playoff games has nothing to do with anything. This is also only his 2nd season, so he only coached in one playoff game. Not three as you suggested.

TCU won 5 games this year. So the greatness of that win evaporated rather quickly. Northwestern is an average team in a bad division just like Pitt. The difference between Pitt and Northwestern is their non conference schedule. That’s why NW was ranked. I don’t buy that as a resume win for Ohio State. Michigan State finished 7-5. I don’t buy that one either as a resume builder. Nice wins over Michigan and Penn State for sure though.

I didn’t see the argument for Ohio State being any higher than 6. I think the committee got it right. We can disagree though.

and Ohio state has number 2 offense in a conference that plays defense while not giving up 40 a game. Okay so that brings me back to my point. The committee values losses over wins, but they said the complete opposite last year. OU has beat nobody while OSU is 5-0 against ranked opponents with a top ten win in a blow out but one loss in the middle of the season trumps all other criterias

5-0 against ranked teams... Only 2 are ranked now. One finished under .500 and another finished with 7 wins.

You can debunk that record to 2-3 nice wins quickly. That number matches up with Oklahoma’s and they didn’t get crushed on the road to a 6-6 team.

You claimed you were a Michigan fan on here before. Color me confused.

5-0 against ranked teams... Only 2 are ranked now. One finished under .500 and another finished with 7 wins.

You can debunk that record to 2-3 nice wins quickly. That number matches up with Oklahoma’s and they didn’t get crushed on the road to a 6-6 team.

You claimed you were a Michigan fan on here before. Color me confused.

He was a Michigan fan. Until they got humiliated. Again.

He was a Michigan fan. Until they got humiliated. Again.
    Ohio State losing, or being left out of the playoffs, is as good as any of my teams winning. Maybe better.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast