Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: High School State Champion?

Contribute to D2

Default High School State Champion?

One for the Brain Trust here. When was the last time a Texas high school football team SOUTH of INTERSTATE 1-10 won a State Championship Title?

Default Re: High School State Champion?

To clarify, do you mean as in South Texas because there might be a few Houston area schools who are technically south of 10 who might fit this discription. I believe it was Refugio in 2016. Same year Calallen almost knocked off Aledo at Jerryworld.

Quote Originally Posted by hobiecat View Post
    One for the Brain Trust here. When was the last time a Texas high school football team SOUTH of INTERSTATE 1-10 won a State Championship Title?
    6A Big 1??? Or do you mean any conference & division.

4. Default Re: High School State Champion?

Refugio and Cuero have several titles between the two of them. Bigger schools, San Antonio is about as far south in about 60 years.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

If you mean FAR south......um...IDK.. maybe the '61 Donna Skins? Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    Refugio and Cuero have several titles between the two of them. Bigger schools, San Antonio is about as far south in about 60 years.
    Converse Judson and Smithson Valley are bigger San Antonio area schools that have won it. But, both are north of I-10 though. So smaller ISDs must be what you are going for.

Refugio comes to mind. Manvel in the Houston area is also south of I-10. La Marque before there ISD collapsed. Jack Yates High in Houston. Pearland Oilers won it once also south of ten.

Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    I think it's been awhile since Cuero has won a title? They had a few down years not so long ago. Or at least down by their standards.

I think Falls City (between Floresville and Kennedy) won a title a few years ago too. But I'm pretty sure it was Refugio who won the last one from the region

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Converse Judson and Smithson Valley are bigger San Antonio area schools that have won it. But, both are north of I-10 though. So smaller ISDs must be what you are going for.

Refugio comes to mind. Manvel in the Houston area is also south of I-10. La Marque before there ISD collapsed. Jack Yates High in Houston. Pearland Oilers won it once also south of ten.
    La Marque ISD didn't just collapse, they crashed and burned.

We had some epic battles against them in the 90's. Those semi games were in effect the state title games as La Marque went on the next week and tore the other semi winner to shreds. They were very, very athletic while we had good enduraance and strength conditioning.
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 12-03-2018 at 08:19 AM.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/adv...85676016a.html

Cuero's last state title was in 1987. Look at the clip posted and you will see Javelina Baseball coach Jason Gonzales pictured at a reunion of the team last year.

They might be making an appearence this year in Jerryworld. Stay tuned.

Reason I was asking....friend and I were talking about successful TX football programs and why there are so few from the lower part of the state. I should have been more specific with a 5a/6a State champion south of I-10. I had forgotten about Refugio and their win. Thanks for the replies.

Reason I was asking....friend and I were talking about successful TX football programs and why there are so few from the lower part of the state. I should have been more specific with a 5a/6a State champion south of I-10. I had forgotten about Refugio and their win. Thanks for the replies.
    Unfortunatley there hasn't been any state title winners from what would be that classification or it's equivalent in decades. I mean you would have to go back to the 60's with some of the Corpus Christi ISD schools that won it. Donna won it in 1961 in what would be considered class 3A or 4A today. Several others made the finals, but lost in the state title game. In recent years (going back to 2000), Calallen has been the only 5A to make the state title game (2005 and 2016) from this part of the state.

12. Default Re: High School State Champion?

Now baseball on the other hand....
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Is it because the southern Texas teams have more soccer, thus taking away from football?

That is the theory that is being held up in the little town I live in. "If they just dropped that damn soccer, more kids would play football!"

Hard to believe - there's like 20 "state champions" a year in Texas these days - who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Is it because the southern Texas teams have more soccer, thus taking away from football?

That is the theory that is being held up in the little town I live in. "If they just dropped that damn soccer, more kids would play football!"
    It's complicated, but it's kind of a combination of factors. The Burbs in the larger metro areas of the state have a more diverse population, parents who have the $$$ for personel training, and the school systems have the $$$ to pay top pay for coaches and their staffs.

The school where I live is an established name in the state, but has lost some good players to baseball only because where as the DFW and Houston areas are great recruiting grounds for football and basketball, we do real well with baseball in this part of the state. The MLB rosters and their minor league affliates have numerous Corpus area high school grads on their current rosters or as former players. Some of these guys could of done real well on the college grid iron as well, but gave it up when they saw the money trail was better on the diamond.

The border region does well with soccer. But many of those kids, unless they are talked into doing punting or place kicking, would only touch of football field to play futbol.
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 12-03-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

I am guessing the high population of Hispanics lends more attention to baseball & soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    I am guessing the high population of Hispanics lends more attention to baseball & soccer.
    Funny term Hispanic. The Romans named Spain Hispania after an animal called Hyrax because they believed all the rabbits they saw were hyraxes. There were no rabbits from where they were from. So, Hispania means land of the Hyrax even though none ever lived there. And to make matters worse we call a group of people after this varmit.

Ran my dna test and found out I’m over 10% Spanish. Even though I’m cracker white. Lol. Led to all these mindless facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Funny term Hispanic. The Romans named Spain Hispania after an animal called Hyrax because they believed all the rabbits they saw were hyraxes. There were no rabbits from where they were from. So, Hispania means land of the Hyrax even though none ever lived there. And to make matters worse we call a group of people after this varmit.

Ran my dna test and found out I’m over 10% Spanish. Even though I’m cracker white. Lol. Led to all these mindless facts.
    People from Spain aren't typically brown like the people we term "Hispanics" in the US. Spaniards are very European looking, but when they traveled to the new world there was some mixing with the natives (whether voluntary or not) of Inca, Mayan, Aztec, Comanche, etc. Something else to add to your mindless facts.
    We must love our children more than we hate our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by '89HOG View Post
    People from Spain aren't typically brown like the people we term "Hispanics" in the US. Spaniards are very European looking, but when they traveled to the new world there was some mixing with the natives (whether voluntary or not) of Inca, Mayan, Aztec, Comanche, etc. Something else to add to your mindless facts.
    You see it in Mexico. The socioeconomic classes are pretty much drawn along these lines. The more wealthy and politically powerful are more European ancestry vs the traditional poor which go way back to the civilizations you noted. While the focus on European blood lines in Mexico seems to focus on the Spanish, there are a number of people down there who have German and Italian roots as a number of them immigrated to Mexico when the great migration was taking place to the US as well. You can see their influence in some of the cities down there in older parts where if you didn't know you were in Mexico, you could pass it off as an old street in Italy or Germany for that matter. Plus in my few trips down there, I was surprised by the number of Jewish Synagogues and business which catered to Jewish folks. You also have some generational families down there from other parts of the Middle East like Syria, Lebanon, etc.

Growing up in the RGV I got see the wealthily from the other side more than I'd liked too. Before big retail got rolling down in Monterrey in particular and the the more recent cartel activity, the money folks would come to McAllen in droves to spend, spend and spend and they expected to be treated like royalty. If they saw you in line waiting to pay for a shirt or two, and they had ten or more, they expected to be waited on first because they were spending more money than you and they would get very rude to you and the store clerk. They own alot of properties on South Padre Island. Most of us got burned by the pretty girl back then who was light skinned, colored eyes , etc when her response to us was in Spanish. And what was funny is my hispanic friends couldn't respond because their Spanish was worse that some of the white boys. LOL!

I'm a little confused. Is this a High School football championship thread or a High School history thread?

No matter which, it's been a good read. Haha

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast