Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 94

Thread: High School State Champion?

  1. #21

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I'm a little confused. Is this a High School football championship thread or a High School history thread?

    No matter which, it's been a good read. Haha
    Well, apparently both with sociology and history thrown in.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,161
    Rep Power
    163163

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I'm a little confused. Is this a High School football championship thread or a High School history thread?

    No matter which, it's been a good read. Haha
    It's called off season in LSC for which a few us starts much earlier than others..... Unfortunately.

  3. #23

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    You see it in Mexico. The socioeconomic classes are pretty much drawn along these lines. The more wealthy and politically powerful are more European ancestry vs the traditional poor which go way back to the civilizations you noted. While the focus on European blood lines in Mexico seems to focus on the Spanish, there are a number of people down there who have German and Italian roots as a number of them immigrated to Mexico when the great migration was taking place to the US as well. You can see their influence in some of the cities down there in older parts where if you didn't know you were in Mexico, you could pass it off as an old street in Italy or Germany for that matter. Plus in my few trips down there, I was surprised by the number of Jewish Synagogues and business which catered to Jewish folks. You also have some generational families down there from other parts of the Middle East like Syria, Lebanon, etc.

    Growing up in the RGV I got see the wealthily from the other side more than I'd liked too. Before big retail got rolling down in Monterrey in particular and the the more recent cartel activity, the money folks would come to McAllen in droves to spend, spend and spend and they expected to be treated like royalty. If they saw you in line waiting to pay for a shirt or two, and they had ten or more, they expected to be waited on first because they were spending more money than you and they would get very rude to you and the store clerk. They own alot of properties on South Padre Island. Most of us got burned by the pretty girl back then who was light skinned, colored eyes , etc when her response to us was in Spanish. And what was funny is my hispanic friends couldn't respond because their Spanish was worse that some of the white boys. LOL!
    That's funny. I have been to McAllen several times and was surprised as to nice it was compared to Brownsville. Another thing about McAllen I noticed was how very few people there spoke spanish. Never ran into a situation there where people didn't speak English very well. I have had 3 years HS and 2 years college spanish and can read it much better than I can speak it. But, my broken spanish can get me around when dealing with those in the Houston and San Antonio areas who haven't a clue how to speak english. Which greatly reduces their opportunity here and allows them to be taken advantage of by those who are bilingual.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,161
    Rep Power
    163163

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    That's funny. I have been to McAllen several times and was surprised as to nice it was compared to Brownsville. Another thing about McAllen I noticed was how very few people there spoke spanish. Never ran into a situation there where people didn't speak English very well. I have had 3 years HS and 2 years college spanish and can read it much better than I can speak it. But, my broken spanish can get me around when dealing with those in the Houston and San Antonio areas who haven't a clue how to speak english. Which greatly reduces their opportunity here and allows them to be taken advantage of by those who are bilingual.

    That is very much true! Why? Because those who were either in school back then or running businesses were second or third generations from their roots south of the border and their grandparents and parents put priority in them learning English first.

    What was and is still spoken down there is what we call Tex-Mex. People will make english words sound like spainish like calling a pickup truck an el truckque. We used to tick off one of my high school spainish teachers with that to the point she sent a few guys to the Principals office where the Principal just laughed and sent the guys back to the classroom. Tex Mex is damn good REAL border style Mexican food too, not some of this stuff they serve at places that have Taqueria in front of their names. Tip. The best Tex Mexican food places often are generational and are known by the orginal owners first or last names. Most still have family operating them.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    6,005
    Rep Power
    480024

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    That is very much true! Why? Because those who were either in school back then or running businesses were second or third generations from their roots south of the border and their grandparents and parents put priority in them learning English first.

    What was and is still spoken down there is what we call Tex-Mex. People will make english words sound like spainish like calling a pickup truck an el truckque. We used to tick off one of my high school spainish teachers with that to the point she sent a few guys to the Principals office where the Principal just laughed and sent the guys back to the classroom. Tex Mex is damn good REAL border style Mexican food too, not some of this stuff they serve at places that have Taqueria in front of their names. Tip. The best Tex Mexican food places often are generational and are known by the orginal owners first or last names. Most still have family operating them.
    but not Pancho's, right?
    We must love our children more than we hate our enemies.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,620
    Rep Power
    30269

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Funny term Hispanic. The Romans named Spain Hispania after an animal called Hyrax because they believed all the rabbits they saw were hyraxes. There were no rabbits from where they were from. So, Hispania means land of the Hyrax even though none ever lived there. And to make matters worse we call a group of people after this varmit.

    Ran my dna test and found out I’m over 10% Spanish. Even though I’m cracker white. Lol. Led to all these mindless facts.
    You have mashed multiple theories together. Very incorrect information. LOL.

    Hispanic, as we use it in America, came from the Latin word hispanicus, simply meaning "From Spain" or "Spainish". (I speak Latin). Hispania is Latin for "Spain".

    There are many THEORIES..... one is that it could have derived from the Punic/Hebrew word i-shfania, meaning "isle of the rabbit/hare/hyrax". Another is that it could have derived from the word Hispalis. Hispalis may have derived from the Greek word Heliopolis meaning "city of the sun".

    There are MANY more theories.....but the term as we use it in English, is directly from the Latin form first mentioned.

    Being a first generation American, part of my family comes from Latium and the original Latin tribe, I have,a strong command & knowledge of the language.

    What's funny (and irritating) to me is when people use the term Latino and Latin America. LATIN is/was MY people who are from Latium Italy, NOT Spain, Central America, or South America.

    Any way.......back to football.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Abilene
    Posts
    17,953
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    You have mashed multiple theories together. Very incorrect information. LOL.

    Hispanic, as we use it in America, came from the Latin word hispanicus, simply meaning "From Spain" or "Spainish". (I speak Latin). Hispania is Latin for "Spain".

    There are many THEORIES..... one is that it could have derived from the Punic/Hebrew word i-shfania, meaning "isle of the rabbit/hare/hyrax". Another is that it could have derived from the word Hispalis. Hispalis may have derived from the Greek word Heliopolis meaning "city of the sun".

    There are MANY more theories.....but the term as we use it in English, is directly from the Latin form first mentioned.

    Being a first generation American, part of my family comes from Latium and the original Latin tribe, hence my knowledge of the language.

    What's funny (and irritating) to me is when people use the term Latino and Latin America. LATIN is/was MY people who are from Latium Italy, NOT Spain, Central America, or South America.

    Any way.......back to football.
    Virtually none of the people I know who are from Mexico, Central or South America like the term “Latino.” They self identify by their country of origin rather than some general term that lumps Cubanos, Coumbianos, Mexicanos and Argentinos together in one amorphous lump. Argies are particularly proud of their identity...some might say they look down on those from other Latin American countries.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,620
    Rep Power
    30269

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    Virtually none of the people I know who are from Mexico, Central or South America like the term “Latino.” They self identify by their country of origin rather than some general term that lumps Cubanos, Coumbianos, Mexicanos and Argentinos together in one amorphous lump. Argies are particularly proud of their identity...some might say they look down on those from other Latin American countries.
    *shaking my head*

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Abilene
    Posts
    17,953
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    *shaking my head*
    Linguistic Nazi

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,161
    Rep Power
    163163

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by '89HOG View Post
    but not Pancho's, right?
    As in the world famous Mexican Buffets?

    Now that place had a purpose when I was in high school. Medicore food, but it was affordable and you got enough quantity for sure and a couple trips to the bathroom when you got home where you could read the entire newpaper twice!

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,620
    Rep Power
    30269

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    Linguistic Nazi
    ROFLMAO. Too funny.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,620
    Rep Power
    30269

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    As in the world famous Mexican Buffets?

    Now that place had a purpose when I was in high school. Medicore food, but it was affordable and you got enough quantity for sure and a couple trips to the bathroom when you got home where you could read the entire newpaper twice!
    Hahahahaha. Magoo!

  13. #33

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    You have mashed multiple theories together. Very incorrect information. LOL.

    Hispanic, as we use it in America, came from the Latin word hispanicus, simply meaning "From Spain" or "Spainish". (I speak Latin). Hispania is Latin for "Spain".

    There are many THEORIES..... one is that it could have derived from the Punic/Hebrew word i-shfania, meaning "isle of the rabbit/hare/hyrax". Another is that it could have derived from the word Hispalis. Hispalis may have derived from the Greek word Heliopolis meaning "city of the sun".

    There are MANY more theories.....but the term as we use it in English, is directly from the Latin form first mentioned.

    Being a first generation American, part of my family comes from Latium and the original Latin tribe, I have,a strong command & knowledge of the language.

    What's funny (and irritating) to me is when people use the term Latino and Latin America. LATIN is/was MY people who are from Latium Italy, NOT Spain, Central America, or South America.

    Any way.......back to football.
    Pops, that’s way too deep. I like the guy who had the hyrax theory better. Much more simplistic as the Romans landed in Spain.

    Your version is like learning derivatives 7 deep and all of your methodologies produce the same answer. Confusion.
    Haha.

    Are these dna tests very accurate anyway? Because, if so I represent every country west and north of Germany. Not even 50% English Irish combined.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,620
    Rep Power
    30269

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Pops, that’s way too deep. I like the guy who had the hyrax theory better. Much more simplistic as the Romans landed in Spain.

    Your version is like learning derivatives 7 deep and all of your methodologies produce the same answer. Confusion.
    Haha.

    Are these dna tests very accurate anyway? Because, if so I represent every country west and north of Germany. Not even 50% English Irish combined.
    The "consumer" dna tests are based on a data base of information given by the public. Whereas it uses science to identify match dna, its data base is not science based. Therefore, it is not factual or reliable.

    So basically if 30 people with a matched dna all say they are German, everyone who has a match to those 30 people will be told they have German ancestry. The problem is more people take the test than GIVE accurate data. As time goes on the data may get better, but using this method will never be completely accurate or reliable.

    Example.. lets say I was adopted but never told. All I was told is that I was Greek. I create a file on Ancestry and put all my adopted families data in there, but use my dna sample. The data pool will now be tainted....and those who match may believe they have Greek ancestry.

    I say.....enjoy it. Have fun with it. But keep in mind that everyone in this world is so mixed because of migration and integration.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Trinity/East Galveston Bay
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    71

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Soooooo....in conclusion, not many state champ football teams south of I-10?

  16. #36

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by hobiecat View Post
    Soooooo....in conclusion, not many state champ football teams south of I-10?
    Yes, plenty of Houston area schools south of I-10 have won state. West Orange Stark in the Beaumont area as well has won state at several different A classifications. Port Neches Groves also south of I-10

    Not sure this what you mean?!?!? Maybe I-10 isn’t a good boundary!!
    Katy and North Shore sit just blocks north of I-10, but their districts are south of I-10 also.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,620
    Rep Power
    30269

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    I wonder how many Dallas Metro teams have won vs how many Houston Metro teams have won.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,383
    Rep Power
    43925

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    I wonder how many Dallas Metro teams have won vs how many Houston Metro teams have won.
    Where does "Dallas Metro" stop? Genuine question

  19. #39

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    I wonder how many Dallas Metro teams have won vs how many Houston Metro teams have won.
    Not sure overall. But, recently DFW Metro has taken home more of the hardware than Houston Metro.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,620
    Rep Power
    30269

    Default Re: High School State Champion?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    Where does "Dallas Metro" stop? Genuine question
    Brooklyn to the East....LA to the West...lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •