Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So how do they figure the reseeding

Contribute to D2

Default So how do they figure the reseeding

I don't believe Valdosta State has ever hosted a semifinal game, any chance we host, if we win?

Blog Entries

Default Re: So how do they figure the reseeding

Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    I don't believe Valdosta State has ever hosted a semifinal game, any chance we host, if we win?
    It’s based off the same criteria as the selection process, except the PO games are added in. It will depend on the other undefeated teams’ SOS and the other factors.

Last season some people here implied the NCAA may reseed based on which matchups would have lower travel costs for them to pay. Which is why Harding took a bus ride to play Texas A&M Commerce instead of flying out to IUP lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4_tattoos View Post
    Last season some people here implied the NCAA may reseed based on which matchups would have lower travel costs for them to pay. Which is why Harding took a bus ride to play Texas A&M Commerce instead of flying out to IUP lol
    What did the numbers (criteria) suggest for the semifinal matchups a year ago....I don't recall.

Blog Entries

Without having the exact numbers, but taking a look at season ending ones..and such....it'd appear that if the home teams won out, it would look like this..

1/2 Valdosta or Mankato (measurably higher SOS than the others, MSU with 1 more win)
    3 OBU....and Ferris might be a 3 also, if the NCAA is applying things like they did when they moved them to the 2 line during the end of the season.
    4 Notre Dame (.470 SOS is low for this grouping of teams)

Tarleton would be below Valdosta and battling for the 2/3 spot....but higher than the 4. Who gets the 1 seed in the semis is kinda big.

Once again, this is just a quick eyeballing of the numbers. Others feel free to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    What did the numbers (criteria) suggest for the semifinal matchups a year ago....I don't recall.
    Me either. Once it was announced that D2 would no longer rotate the region winners for the semifinals I just through my hands up and said whatever happens, happens. Just recalled last year some members of this board joking about why Harding (from Arkansas) ended up travelling to Texas instead of Pennsylvania.

Historical reputation of the team and the conference they come from.

8. Default Re: So how do they figure the reseeding

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    THIS!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S&TMinerfan View Post
    THIS!!!!!
    No.

How would you even quantify that?

Reputation is an entirely subjective figure

It would have to be a mathimatical calculation so reputation would show in the form of OOC'S but I'm sure it wouldn't be historical - Only this year's. Silos of course throws that calculation of but for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    IUP was a 1, Commerce was a 5, West Florida was a 6 and Harding was a 7 so yes there was alot of conversation about travel. Much cheaper for the NCAA not to have to fly both West Florida and Harding.

If all #1 seeds win their next game, this would be my projected seeding (imo).

1. Minnesota St.
    2. Valdosta St.
    3. Ouachita Baptist
    4. Notre Dame (OH)

Valdosta St. could very well be placed at 1 but give the slight nod to Mankato as SR4 has been historically a tougher region.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
    IUP was a 1, Commerce was a 5, West Florida was a 6 and Harding was a 7 so yes there was alot of conversation about travel. Much cheaper for the NCAA not to have to fly both West Florida and Harding.
    Yeah. This is pretty much what I recall the talk being about last year. Harding (probably) should have gone to IUP instead of Commerce.

I believe, not sure if I am right or not, that the NCAA factors in who will be able to put the most people in the stands, if they had the game at home.
    Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post

Quote Originally Posted by walnut100 View Post
    How would you even quantify that?

Reputation is an entirely subjective figure
    Found this from an interview of Donnie Wagner, NCAA Assistant Director of Championships and Alliances for DII concerning the football playoff selection process:

Wagner said that the criteria helps sort things out, along with the competition, but the committee must delve deeper than that.

"Within all that criteria, they will be looking behind the numbers," he said. "There is subjectivity within the objective data."

If that isn't a definitive statement from the NCAA about the subjectivity of the selection process, I don't know what is. If you are "looking behind the numbers" and "delving deeper" than the selection criteria then the selection process is by definition, subjective and not objective.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 11-26-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    No.
    Those two are cut from the same cloth.

Found this from an interview of Donnie Wagner, NCAA Assistant Director of Championships and Alliances for DII concerning the football playoff selection process:

Wagner said that the criteria helps sort things out, along with the competition, but the committee must delve deeper than that.

"Within all that criteria, they will be looking behind the numbers," he said. "There is subjectivity within the objective data."

If that isn't a definitive statement from the NCAA about the subjectivity of the selection process, I don't know what is. If you are "looking behind the numbers" and "delving deeper" than the selection criteria then the selection process is by definition, subjective and not objective.
    Although you do have a good point on this. They made Notre Dame a #1 seed despite having the worst weighted OWP of the three undefeated teams in SR1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    No.
    Why do you think not? If the reseeding process is based on the process used for playoff selections and an NCAA official who is intimately involved in the DII selection process says it is an objective system, what makes you think that reputation of the schools/conferences involved DOESN'T enter the process of the individual selection committee members?

Best you can say is that you don't believe it enters into the seeding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast