Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postseason Attendance Thread

Contribute to D2

Default Postseason Attendance Thread

I had a similar season-long attendance thread in the RMAC forum and thought I'd do a similar thread for playoff attendance. I know I am a week late, but still, I thought it would be interesting to see what kinds of crowds these games are drawing.

Attendance figures obtained from boxscores posted mostly on conference and team websites.

1st round

Tarleton State (vs Azusa Pacific) 4,713
    Indianapolis (vs Fort Hays St) 3,674
    West Chester (vs New Haven) 3,010
    Grand Valley (vs Northwest Missouri St) 2,895
    Kutztown (vs Hillsdale) 2,762
    Lenoir Rhyne (vs Florida Tech) 2,436
    LIU Post (vs Slippery Rock) 2,400
    Colorado Mines (vs Colorado State Pueblo) 2,274
    West Georgia (vs Wingate) 1,702
    Bowie St (vs West Alabama) 1,531
    Ferris St (vs Harding) 1,317
    Minnesota Duluth (vs Texas A&M Commerce) 1,029

Honestly, I can say that I am surprised how low some of these numbers are.

Will post another update after the conclusion of the 2nd round.

Default Re: Postseason Attendance Thread

I've always contended that D2 football is very much a local and regional-interest league. Fans are interested in the local rivalries against schools they know of. Against some team halfway across the U.S. that they've never heard of, not as much.

I think the D2 playoffs are more for the players and coaches than they are the fans and supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    I've always contended that D2 football is very much a local and regional-interest league. Fans are interested in the local rivalries against schools they know of. Against some team halfway across the U.S. that they've never heard of, not as much.

I think the D2 playoffs are more for the players and coaches than they are the fans and supporters.
    I am not sure I totally agree with the bolded part. As a Chadron State fan, I am always interested in how Chadron State would fare against unfamiliar schools from a different part of the country. Against conference competition, I sometimes think same familiar teams would pose less interest to fans (unless its against a rival), but if any team from somewhere far away came, I find that interesting to see how they would stack up against unfamiliar competition, and I can't imagine that not a lot of people would feel this way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sportsvine View Post
    I am not sure I totally agree with the bolded part. As a Chadron State fan, I am always interested in how Chadron State would fare against unfamiliar schools from a different part of the country. Against conference competition, I sometimes think same familiar teams would pose less interest to fans (unless its against a rival), but if any team from somewhere far away came, I find that interesting to see how they would stack up against unfamiliar competition, and I can't imagine that not a lot of people would feel this way.
    Finding unfamiliar teams interesting is much different than forking over time and money to actually go and watch the games in person. I think that’s what Herb is getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    Finding unfamiliar teams interesting is much different than forking over time and money to actually go and watch the games in person. I think that’s what Herb is getting at.
    I understood what Herb was saying, just didn't agree with that logic. When Chadron hosted Pittsburg St a few years ago, there was great interest in that game. Pittsburgh State probably might never travel to Chadron again. I was more interested in that game than a game against Adams State or Western.

And today, if Chadron played Slippery Rock or LIU Post, or Bemidji State, I would take more interest, and be more willing to pay for money and tickets against such teams than if they played New Mexico Highlands or Fort Lewis.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Probably for most people. I've seen 120 D2 teams play a variety of sports in person. 446 total four and two year schools at various levels. I find it interesting to watch different styles of play- and even more so when you can pick out the star athletes of the various teams.

Postseason Week 2 (Regional Semifinals) Attendance figures

Tarleton St (vs Texas A&M Commerce) 5,231
    Valdosta St (vs Bowie St) 2,467
    Ouachita Baptist (vs Indianapolis) 2,228
    Notre Dame (vs Hillsdale) 1,800
    Minnesota St (vs Colorado State Pueblo) 1,462
    New Haven (vs Slippery Rock) 1,137

Lenoir Rhyne (vs Wingate) No attendance listed
    Ferris St (vs Northwest Missouri St) No attendance listed

I don't know why attendance figures are not listed for the latter two games. It actually says "0" for attendance in those box scores. In the RMAC thread, there was not a single game all year long that they didn't listed an actual attendance. Maybe the box scores will later be updated if they will later count the tickets.

With most games now televised on ROKU or some form; If there is any kind of weather issue a lot of fans may not bother to sit in rain at 34 degrees.
    I think the North & NEast teams had weather issues last week. Also a lot of kids are on break.

You’re in the minority - the paltry attendance across the country tells you that. There are some hard core D2 fans that follow a team across the country through November and early December. That amounts to a couple or three thousand per game, four or five thousand tops.

You’re in the minority - the paltry attendance across the country tells you that. There are some hard core D2 fans that follow a team across the country through November and early December. That amounts to a couple or three thousand per game, four or five thousand tops.
    I wonder if Sec10 has more reasoning this. The quality of internet streaming has improved so much in recent years that watching a streamed game on your computer is nearly as good as watching a professional broadcast on tv. If the weather is bad (and it was today in much of the country) many people would rather watch on their computers than freeze at the game.

I wonder if Sec10 has more reasoning this. The quality of internet streaming has improved so much in recent years that watching a streamed game on your computer is nearly as good as watching a professional broadcast on tv. If the weather is bad (and it was today in much of the country) many people would rather watch on their computers than freeze at the game.
    Could be. What did the first round averages look like a decade ago? I kind of doubt there is some big number of pedestrian fans glued to their computer screens watching a game, but I suppose it’s possible.

Blog Entries

I don't know why attendance figures are not listed for the latter two games. It actually says "0" for attendance in those box scores. In the RMAC thread, there was not a single game all year long that they didn't listed an actual attendance. Maybe the box scores will later be updated if they will later count the tickets.
    Was at the Tarleton game and saw a decent crowd for a Playoff Game.

Maybe. VSU had over 10,000 attendance vs West Ga and the GSC Championship, 7pm game. Yesterday, students were gone on break, plus most folks in our area like night games. Our worse attendance numbers are day time games.

#BlazerNation

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerLady View Post
    Maybe. VSU had over 10,000 attendance vs West Ga and the GSC Championship, 7pm game. Yesterday, students were gone on break, plus most folks in our area like night games. Our worse attendance numbers are day time games.
    That’s the opposite here in Mankato! We tend to have better attendance during day games!

L.R. and Wingate are only 90 miles apart. Form watching the game, and a whole boat of students,
    I would say the attendance, was at least 5,000 maybe higher.

I was at the Ferris State vs NW game and I doubt there was a thousand people there total including the pep band. I would say NW had 250 fans there and the balance was FSU. We did meet some very nice Bearcat fans at the tailgate. Hope they all got home before the storms come in.

When Georgia playing at the same time hurts VSU attendance as well. We should have a decent crowd Saturday since Georgia don't play to 4. If we win and can host a semifinal game I think we could have over 6,000 since Georgia won't be playing plus this would be a big ordeal in our football community.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerLady View Post
    In D2, I can understand much larger crowds for a conference championship game than a "national" championship game or playoff game, just due to familiarity and rivalry between the teams, as well as relative convenience to the venue by both fan bases. It takes a hardcore fan to travel hundreds of miles and hotel up to watch anything less than an FBS game. And when the post season hits, even FBS struggles: Most stadiums that are not in the New Years Six fold will be half empty, some 75 percent empty.

As a side note, everyone gets the idea that all of D1 is packed houses of 80K fans. It is actually only a very small minority of FBS programs that make that happen UNLESS the team is winning big that year. Those programs that pack the house regardless of circumstance, weather, time of year, or record, are:

aTm
    Michigan
    Georgia
    Nebraska
    Notre Dame
    Alabama
    Oklahoma
    Penn State
    Tennessee
    Oregon
    Clemson
    Ohio State

Pretty short list.

I would never put UT Austin on this list as an example: They stub their toe a few times early in the season and there is immediately about a third of that stadium with empty seats. When they are winning, suddenly UT fans are everywhere. Same is true for most other programs.

In D2, I can understand much larger crowds for a conference championship game than a "national" championship game or playoff game, just due to familiarity and rivalry between the teams, as well as relative convenience to the venue by both fan bases. It takes a hardcore fan to travel hundreds of miles and hotel up to watch anything less than an FBS game. And when the post season hits, even FBS struggles: Most stadiums that are not in the New Years Six fold will be half empty, some 75 percent empty.

As a side note, everyone gets the idea that all of D1 is packed houses of 80K fans. It is actually only a very small minority of FBS programs that make that happen UNLESS the team is winning big that year. Those programs that pack the house regardless of circumstance, weather, time of year, or record, are:

aTm
    Michigan
    Georgia
    Nebraska
    Notre Dame
    Alabama
    Oklahoma
    Penn State
    Tennessee
    Oregon
    Clemson
    Ohio State

Pretty short list.

I would never put UT Austin on this list as an example: They stub their toe a few times early in the season and there is immediately about a third of that stadium with empty seats. When they are winning, suddenly UT fans are everywhere. Same is true for most other programs.
    I read an article a couple of weeks ago about D1 schools scaling back their student sections for lack of attendance.

#BlazerNation

aTm
    Michigan
    Georgia
    Nebraska
    Notre Dame
    Alabama
    Oklahoma
    Penn State
    Tennessee
    Oregon
    Clemson
    Ohio State

Pretty short list.

These folks might dissagree with you

Florida
    Mississippi
    Wisconsin
    Michigan St
    Washington
    Texas
    South Carolina
    Auburn
    USC
    Iowa
    Arkansas