Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harlon Hill...SR4 Nominees

Blog Entries
    Contribute to D2

Default Harlon Hill...SR4 Nominees

The nominees come as a result of each school's SID nominating a player from their school. (not all will nominate a player of course)

NAME POSITION SCHOOL CLASS HOMETOWN
    Xavier Turner RB Tarleton State Sr. North Richland Hills, Texas
    Bo Highburger LB Western Oregon Sr. Veneta, Oregon
    Nate Gunn RB Minnesota State Jr. Minooka, Illinois
    Markus Jones DE Angelo State Sr. Fort Worth, Texas
    Gabriel Watson RB Sioux Falls Jr. Piedmont, California
    Cameron Mayberry RB Colorado Mines Jr. Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Kyle Saddler QB Augustana So. Frisco, Texas
    Jake Sullivan QB South Dakota Mines Sr. Rapid City, South Dakota
    Reilly Hennessey QB Central Washington Sr. Camas, Washington
    Layton Rabb QB Midwestern State Sr. Llano, Texas
    Chad Hovasse WR Adams State Sr. Colorado Springs, Colorado

2 from this group will become finalists....in a week or two.

2. Default Re: Harlon Hill...SR4 Nominees

One of the selections is a linebacker. I wonder what makes him better than Brandon Payer from CSU Pueblo?

Default Re: Harlon Hill...SR4 Nominees

I think Watson has to be in the discussion for one of the finalists. Leads the nation in rushing (1957 yards) and scoring (156 points, 26 TDs) by a sizable margin. Granted, I'll admit my bias, but I think the stats back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterCampFan View Post
    One of the selections is a linebacker. I wonder what makes him better than Brandon Payer from CSU Pueblo?
    Have you seen Highburger play?

I have watched Payer. Excellent player. Him not being on the list is not some slight, nor is it saying that Highburger is better. It probably has to do with the number of nominations across the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Man View Post
    I think Watson has to be in the discussion for one of the finalists. Leads the nation in rushing (1957 yards) and scoring (156 points, 26 TDs) by a sizable margin. Granted, I'll admit my bias, but I think the stats back it up.
    I fear the lack of postseason play may hurt him come voting time.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Day View Post
    I fear the lack of postseason play may hurt him come voting time.
    Do they factor team success as a deciding factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Do they factor team success as a deciding factor?
    I don't think it should, but I think it does affect the decisions if nothing more than subconsciously.

A phenomenal player on Crookston's team probably isn't going to get the vote even if they had Bo Jackson talent.

Blog Entries

The SID's are the ones who vote for this. An SID from one school will often send out a communication to the others within the region, about their player they've nominated, to try and promote/make a case for their guy. (to a much smaller extent, like you would see at D1, etc) It's really hard for a defensive player to win this award, as the other SID's are gonna look at stats and naturally they'll know and vote for more popular players such as QB's and such.

9. Default Re: Harlon Hill...SR4 Nominees

Sure would have been nice to have Jake Sullivan at Northern this year. Could have used the nation’s leading passer! I believe it was in 2014 that he transferred shortly before the season started.

Quote Originally Posted by #WolvesNation View Post
    Sure would have been nice to have Jake Sullivan at Northern this year. Could have used the nation’s leading passer! I believe it was in 2014 that he transferred shortly before the season started.
    Think he would have still been the nation's leading passer at Northern???

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Likely not but he's still very talented. UMD wouldn't have had the #1 defense in the country in the RMAC either.

Kyle Saddler made huge strides in his 2nd season, but he still needs to put the team on his shoulders in tight games to win. Once he does that Kyle will be a complete quarterback.

13. Default Re: Harlon Hill...SR4 Nominees

Who knows? No way to know now. Simply was stating that he’s clearly talented and wouldn’t have been the worst thing in the world to have him at Northern still.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    Likely not but he's still very talented. UMD wouldn't have had the #1 defense in the country in the RMAC either.
    Agreed. They wouldn't have had the #1 defense if they played in the NSIC south even.

Blog Entries

Agreed. They wouldn't have had the #1 defense if they played in the NSIC south even.
    Yes they would have. They had a better defense than any NSIC South team. Just look at the common opponents..namely Augie.

UMD played good D against Commerce....their offense and special teams didn't come through. I wouldn't make the assumption that CSUP has a better D..especially if giving up less points in a rain storm game against a passing team is the reasoning..but there's been some trolling going on here - taking shots at Duluth....so I'm guessing that's the angle. CSUP and UMD are very similar across the board..and the UMD D played strong against everyone they played.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    Yes they would have. They had a better defense than any NSIC South team. Just look at the common opponents..namely Augie.

UMD played good D against Commerce....their offense and special teams didn't come through. I wouldn't make the assumption that CSUP has a better D..especially if giving up less points in a rain storm game against a passing team is the reasoning..but there's been some trolling going on here - taking shots at Duluth....so I'm guessing that's the angle. CSUP and UMD are very similar across the board..and the UMD D played strong against everyone they played.
    Agreed. UMD's defense gave up 20 points against a playoff team, and scored two defensive TDs. That works out to a 6 point differential. Most any fan in the nation would be happy if their defense did that.

As you said, the problems in that game were the Bulldog special teams giving up TDs and giving Commerce short fields, and that Duluth's offense couldn't get anything going.

Duluth was clearly NOT the better team on the field that day. But it wasn't because of the defense.

I'm not sure I call Commerce a passing team this year, they ran the ball 75 more times than they threw it. Last year sure as they ran the ball on 396 plays compared to 645 pass attempts. Pueblo attempted more passes than Commerce in that rain even. The Lions are much more balanced without Perez and with the QB struggles. They're a big physical team that wants to control the LOS on both sides of the ball, they were able to (at the very least) match Duluth in being physical and from there athleticism won out.

No, they wouldn't have. They were ahead of the #2 defense by fewer than 10 yards per game and were 4th in scoring defense. Take out Mary, Minot and Crookston and replace them with 3 south teams they didn't play this year. Do you honestly think they don't give up 10 yards more per game to those teams instead of the North cupcakes??

This isn't to take anything away from Duluth. Just seems irresponsible to think they'd still put up the same defensive numbers against much better competition.

Also not saying an NSIC south defense was better than theirs. But the offenses in the South are MUCH better than those in the north, 1-8.

Blog Entries

No, they wouldn't have. They were ahead of the #2 defense by fewer than 10 yards per game and were 4th in scoring defense. Take out Mary, Minot and Crookston and replace them with 3 south teams they didn't play this year. Do you honestly think they don't give up 10 yards more per game to those teams instead of the North cupcakes??

This isn't to take anything away from Duluth. Just seems irresponsible to think they'd still put up the same defensive numbers against much better competition.

Also not saying an NSIC south defense was better than theirs. But the offenses in the South are MUCH better than those in the north, 1-8.
    Gotcha..I thought your comment was implying they would've have been the top defense in the South. I'm saying they clearly would've been.

If you start saying, "if you take out these games", you've lost me. The RMAC has bottom teams too. Duluth's numbers have them as the #1 D in the country, period. That said, I'm saying CSUP is on a level playing field with them, because while their numbers aren't quite as good across the board, they are close and they have played a tougher slate than UMD. All said, the way UMD played against the top offenses they saw this year....speaks for itself.

Gotcha..I thought your comment was implying they would've have been the top defense in the South. I'm saying they clearly would've been.

If you start saying, "if you take out these games", you've lost me. The RMAC has bottom teams too. Duluth's numbers have them as the #1 D in the country, period. That said, I'm saying CSUP is on a level playing field with them, because while their numbers aren't quite as good across the board, they are close and they have played a tougher slate than UMD. All said, the way UMD played against the top offenses they saw this year....speaks for itself.
    Same schedule, certainly #1 defense in the South.

The only reason the 'take out these games' came up was because if Duluth were in the South (in this hypothetical) they would have fewer games against the much weaker North offenses. Only for that comparison. However, the 'ifs and buts' game is not one I like to play or see played :)

As I mentioned, not trying to take anything away from Duluth. They played who they were scheduled to play and, for the most part outside of Bemidji, dominated them. I just don't think they played any 'top offenses', outside of Augustana. I also would say the Commerce D outplayed the Duluth D last week. Total yardage was under 200 for Duluth and the offense scored only 3 points against Commerce's D.

Lots of good defenses left in the playoffs!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast