Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

Default Re: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    Funny. I saw an article from The Athletic on another message board which tossed Colby’s name in for the Texas State vacancy. I don’t know if taking over that program would be anymore of challenge than SFA. Both have massively underachieved that last few years.
    the name I’ve seen most linked with Texas State is UIW’s Eric Morris.

Funny. I saw an article from The Athletic on another message board which tossed Colby’s name in for the Texas State vacancy. I don’t know if taking over that program would be anymore of challenge than SFA. Both have massively underachieved that last few years.
    I would think it would be very difficult to move from DII to FBS. Seems to me Colby’s next step would be FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanFan View Post
    I would think it would be very difficult to move from DII to FBS. Seems to me Colby’s next step would be FCS.
    100%

I truly believe if Colby gets a shot at SFA, especially if Don goes as well, he will DOMINATE the Southland and get them on a national stage.....this will fast track Colby to a FBS gig.

I dont see a better career route. I even think it would be better long term than a Texas State gig.
    Last edited by ASUPops; 11-21-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    100%

I truly believe if Colby gets a shot at SFA, especially if Don goes as well, he will DOMINATE the Southland and get them on a national stage.....this will fast track Colby to a FBS gig.

I dont see a better career route. I even think it would be better long term than a Texas State gig.
    Although it has been done many times, success moving up and down between 1 and 2 is actually unusual. Division 1 and 2 are two distinctly different animals.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    100%

I agree. The whole athletic dept at Texas State is underachieving considering all the positives the school and community has going for it right now. It appears the AD has a lot of Texas State/SWT supporters ticked off and he might be asked to leave as well. He hired Withers based on a very thin resume of success and nothing good came from it.

If Colby is looking for an upward move to use as a spring board to the big boy league, SFA would be the perfect fit and they would be stupid not to pursue him. He’ll have easy access to the East Texas and DFW recruiting grounds which he is already familiar with at his current job. Think about this. I bet Patterson is done at TCU sometime in the next five seasons either voluntarily or involuntarily. Colby goes the SFA and turns that program around and boom, he’ll be in the top tier of prospects for that job.

I agree. The whole athletic dept at Texas State is underachieving considering all the positives the school and community has going for it right now. It appears the AD has a lot of Texas State/SWT supporters ticked off and he might be asked to leave as well. He hired Withers based on a very thin resume of success and nothing good came from it.

If Colby is looking for an upward move to use as a spring board to the big boy league, SFA would be the perfect fit and they would be stupid not to pursue him. He’ll have easy access to the East Texas and DFW recruiting grounds which he is already familiar with at his current job. Think about this. I bet Patterson is done at TCU sometime in the next five seasons either voluntarily or involuntarily. Colby goes the SFA and turns that program around and boom, he’ll be in the top tier of prospects for that job.
    What makes you say that about patterson?

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    What makes you say that about patterson?
    Have you seen him on the sidelines? I'm afraid he's going to have a health issue one day when he pops a gasket. The guy can sweat up a storm in 30 degree temps too.

He's defied the law of averages as far as tenure at one place in today's coaching marketplace. So that's why I think in the next five years, TCU will be due for a change. This season might be a precursor of things to come. I don't think it will be next year or maybe the year after that. But with a resurgent Texas program and Jimbo supposedly working his recruiting magic at Aggy, TCU is not as sexy as it was even last year at this time.

8. Default Re: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

0.0% chance TCU hired an FCS head coach to replace Patterson. Craig Bohl won 3 Nattys at NDSU and the best FBS job he got offered was Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by LSCfan1 View Post
    0.0% chance TCU hired an FCS head coach to replace Patterson. Craig Bohl won 3 Nattys at NDSU and the best FBS job he got offered was Wyoming.
    +1. And near zero percent chance a D2 coach goes to a FCS head coach gig. Does it happen? Yes, but it's remote. FCS is its own club, as is FBS. Different animals. How much success is Dorrel having at ACU? He won over 90% at the D2 level. He's only won 10 out of 22 at the FCS level, with most of those wins against garbage teams. The Angelo State win was ironically among his best.

The Carthel way is to get some D1 skill players and out-athlete the typical D2 opposition. That model doesn't work at SFA. They already have D1 players and so do the opponents.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 11-22-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Have you seen him on the sidelines? I'm afraid he's going to have a health issue one day when he pops a gasket. The guy can sweat up a storm in 30 degree temps too.

He's defied the law of averages as far as tenure at one place in today's coaching marketplace. So that's why I think in the next five years, TCU will be due for a change. This season might be a precursor of things to come. I don't think it will be next year or maybe the year after that. But with a resurgent Texas program and Jimbo supposedly working his recruiting magic at Aggy, TCU is not as sexy as it was even last year at this time.
    Patterson will be there till he wants to retire. He is the winningest coach in TCU history, hasnt had 2 losing seasons in a row ever.

He has always been that intense.
    TCU will always be a 4th fiddle but Pattersons success is in coaching kids up not recruiting dominant talent like Jimbo and the texas coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    +1. And near zero percent chance a D2 coach goes to a FCS head coach gig. Does it happen? Yes, but it's remote. FCS is its own club, as is FBS. Different animals. How much success is Dorrel having at ACU? He won over 90% at the D2 level. He's only won 10 out of 22 at the FCS level, with most of those wins against garbage teams. The Angelo State win was ironically among his best.

The Carthel way is to get some D1 skill players and out-athlete the typical D2 opposition. That model doesn't work at SFA. They already have D1 players and so do the opponents.
    It's not remote for D2 HC's with multiple nattys. If Carthel picks up another this season (or gets close), I could see FBS folks interested.

Wallace went to Temple after his three titles at UNA and Kelly went to Central Michigan after his two nattys at GVSU. Of course, Wallace came back to D2 after his stint at Temple while Kelly went to Cincinnati and ND.

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    It's not remote for D2 HC's with multiple nattys. If Carthel picks up another this season (or gets close), I could see FBS folks interested.

Wallace went to Temple after his three titles at UNA and Kelly went to Central Michigan after his two nattys at GVSU. Of course, Wallace came back to D2 after his stint at Temple while Kelly went to Cincinnati and ND.
    The odds are remote of multiple nattys, and the odds of moving up are remote. There are a very few Brian Kelly stories. Most of the time it’s major fail.

13. Default Re: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

The odds are remote of multiple nattys, and the odds of moving up are remote. There are a very few Brian Kelly stories. Most of the time it’s major fail.
    The reason this makes sense and has better odds than the typical good d2 coach is the SFA’s AD was the former Commerce AD who brought Colby in. He’ll for sure be a candidate.

And the way Colby has developed high school talent as the nucleus for their team these last few years does translate to FCS. He hasn’t been near as transfer heavy as the old WT or his first few seasons at Commerce.

My guess is he’s wanted to prove he can win this way for this exact reason. Plus it’s also just a good long term plan to develope depth.

14. Default Re: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

My official guess is the current Austin Peay HC

15. Default Re: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

Lol a 5-6 HC is going to turn around SFA? Not so sure about that.

Ivey has a good relationship with Carthel and the only thing stopping Carthel is not being offered (yet)

I think once the season is over for commerce things may speed up, then again they may not.

East Texas is a breadbasket of HS talent that Carthel is pretty well entrenched in. Would think the next HC would need to have that relationship with recruits in their own backyard and can leverage it to turn the program around.

Healy????

No way!!! That would be a horrible move by SFA.

I don't think the Dorrel comparison is relevant. Is he suppose to turn around a bad program over night? In three years if ACU is winning five games a year you might have a point.

And this applies to a lot of D2 coaches that might get FCS jobs. They're not getting the best jobs. Part of the reason that Dorrel had the ridiculous winning percentage in D2 is that he inherited a program that had played in the championship game five of the six years before he took over. The sixth? A semifinal appearance. He just had to retool things a bit. He didn't have to rebuild. If he had taken over Missouri Southern his record wouldn't have been .900. It might not even have been .500.

His best win this year was against the Southland champion.

Serious question. Not arguing.

Aren't most coaching hires failures? What percentage of coaches come in and totally turn around losing programs? We call all name some, but aren't the same programs mostly hiring coaches every four or five years?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Serious question. Not arguing.

Aren't most coaching hires failures? What percentage of coaches come in and totally turn around losing programs? We call all name some, but aren't the same programs mostly hiring coaches every four or five years?
    Ill agree with that. But alot of programs do find the right guys but they get poached by bigger more profitable schools.

NWMS for example before Mel was not the football powerhouse they are today. But they were able to keep him even after he found tremendous success there.

Oddly enough Bud Elliott came to eastern after "failing" at NWMS and became the winningest coach in Easterns history, and is the father to much of the limited success they have had. Easterns current DC and Josh lynn as well as many others involved in the program, Larry Vernardo jr. Drako miller, Mike Howard(ret. OC) were players and or asst. coaches under coach Elliott and employ his "style" or formula in their coaching.

If National titles are the only measure of succees then yes most coaching hire are failures.

The programs that find success are those that keep coaches that understand how their school works, or in some cases they find that rare gem that rewrites the rules, bobby bowden or Dr osborn style; Carthels at WT and Commerce, mel at NWMS, etc.

[QUOTE=Runnin' Cat;2318904]But I ain't never been to Nacogdoches.....

Big Jake. Nice reference

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast