Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: McDonough Resigns as WT Offensive Coordinator!

Contribute to D2

Default Re: McDonough Resigns as WT Offensive Coordinator!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Yes. That's what I would assume.

I wonder the caliber of the applicants. Any info on that?
    100 seems like a whole lot of applicants for a coordinator slot. Do D2 Head Coaching jobs even draw those numbers of applicants? I thought most of these jobs were filled with the HC picking up the phone and making calls to different coaches to gauge interest?

Applications sounds so high school job like.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    100 seems like a whole lot of applicants for a coordinator slot. Do D2 Head Coaching jobs even draw those numbers of applicants? I thought most of these jobs were filled with the HC picking up the phone and making calls to different coaches to gauge interest?

Seriously?....

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post

You are absolutely correct. Most HC's have a very large circle and they bring in guys they know and are comfortable working with. Even at the HS level.

This is more difficult for a few different reasons: if your HC is younger/newer; doesn't have a large circle; or sometimes is not respected by his peers.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    You are absolutely correct. Most HC's have a very large circle and they bring in guys they know and are comfortable working with. Even at the HS level.

This is more difficult for a few different reasons: if your HC is younger/newer; doesn't have a large circle; or sometimes is not respected by his peers.
    Hughes' initial OC hire was a well-known commodity to Hughes. They coached together and coached against each other. I've gotten the vibe he's taking an "outside the box" approach to this make-or-break hire. If Hughes' Buffs are to to make strides from a wobbly 6-5 season to solid 8 plus wins every year, Hughes has to have a better offensive scheme, execution, and talent than we had last year. He knows it.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-14-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Hughes' initial OC hire was a well-known commodity to Hughes. They coached together and coached against each other. I've gotten the vibe he's taking an "outside the box" approach to this make-or-break hire. If Hughes' Buffs are to to make strides from a wobbly 6-5 season to solid 8 plus wins every year, Hughes has to have a better offensive scheme, execution, and talent than we had last year. He knows it.
    Well it beginning to feel like he is over thinking it. That defense and special teams did pretty well considering how bad the offense was at times. With the resources and talent he has available he just needs to find someone to run a successfull zone run scheme with play action passing offense. They are easy to find, why complicate things, go get someone who plays football the way you want and win.

[QUOTE=Boohaha;2330065]Well it beginning to feel like he is over thinking it. That defense and special teams did pretty well considering how bad the offense was at times. With the resources and talent he has available he just needs to find someone to run a successfull zone run scheme with play action passing offense. They are easy to find, why complicate things, go get someone who plays football the way you want and win.[/QUO

I don't think he's overthinking the offense. I think he's looking for a great "coach" first. WT's execution under McDonough was, IMO, hit and miss. I know we lacked talent at QB and injuries hurt immensely, but, even when we were healthy early on our offense was lackluster. It's easy to forget that WT is a work in progress, halfway up the hill and working hard to overcome that incline. No one saw McDonough's offensive direction in the future, based on what we saw in the present, as getting out of it's own way. I hope the new OC comes in and puts some energy and sense of urgency into their side of the ball. Attitude. Some swagger.

I'm not sure I'm making any sense of it.

7. Default Re: McDonough Resigns as WT Offensive Coordinator!

In my opinion whoever Huhges hires, if he doesn’t let the OC open it up and try to put up points, I just don’t see WT’s offense getting much better very fast. It seems like he kind of handcuffs his OCs with the “we don’t need the offense to win us games” attitude.

Obviously he’s a defensive minded guy but he needs to look at what has happened at Alabama and these other Defense dominant teams when they actually hired an OC that puts up a lot points and yards! You can still be defense dominant and have a high powered offense. Look at Clemson all these years!

It feels like he’s be extremely picky in style of play instead of hiring the best guy available. I just don’t see WT competing for LSC titles unless they’re averaging close to 40ppg and 500 yards like every LSC champ for the past 10 years has.

It’s just like the B12 in my opinion.

Maybe the Hughes experiment will work though. I’m just really interested to see what he ends up doing!

Quote Originally Posted by RamFamAlum View Post
    In my opinion whoever Huhges hires, if he doesn’t let the OC open it up and try to put up points, I just don’t see WT’s offense getting much better very fast. It seems like he kind of handcuffs his OCs with the “we don’t need the offense to win us games” attitude.

Obviously he’s a defensive minded guy but he needs to look at what has happened at Alabama and these other Defense dominant teams when they actually hired an OC that puts up a lot points and yards! You can still be defense dominant and have a high powered offense. Look at Clemson all these years!

It feels like he’s be extremely picky in style of play instead of hiring the best guy available. I just don’t see WT competing for LSC titles unless they’re averaging close to 40ppg and 500 yards like every LSC champ for the past 10 years has.

It’s just like the B12 in my opinion.

Maybe the Hughes experiment will work though. I’m just really interested to see what he ends up doing!
    Good points! Good viewpoint!

I woudn't greatly disagree. Where I diverge, is what I think Hughes' ideal offense would be. That would be be an offense geared for a 60% run 40% pass that can control the LOS, dominate TOP, and have a defense that gets stops. That's a pretty good recipe for a playoff team year in and out. Can he get there? That's the real question.

No news yet on a new OC. That is a Hughes call all the way.

I have heard recruiting is going extremely well. Several jucos are already in the fold. And HS recruiting is getting hot and heavy.
    Have you heard anything on the retention of players for next year? I ask because ive seen an insane amount of offers given out by WT for this cycle. Upwards of 100 already

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Have you heard anything on the retention of players for next year? I ask because ive seen an insane amount of offers given out by WT for this cycle. Upwards of 100 already
    No. All I've kept up with are the listings on thelscscoop.blogspot.com. On there, it shows numerous high school offers and 15 juco offers. Heavy juco, which for right now in the WT rebuild plan, I agree with. They offered a fleet of juco OLs, DLs, and, DBs. And a couple juco QBs, as well as 3 or 4 HS QBs.

I don't haunt twitter to get more info. I should.

No. All I've kept up with are the listings on thelscscoop.blogspot.com. On there, it shows numerous high school offers and 15 juco offers. Heavy juco, which for right now in the WT rebuild plan, I agree with. They offered a fleet of juco OLs, DLs, and, DBs. And a couple juco QBs, as well as 3 or 4 HS QBs.

I don't haunt twitter to get more info. I should.
    Yeah im only referring to whats on Twitter. I didn't realize the scoop website tracking already

WT giving out a ton of scholarships....oh the irony. There's gonna be some crow chewin' going on around here. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    WT giving out a ton of scholarships....oh the irony. There's gonna be some crow chewin' going on around here. ;)
    Looks like Hughes is following the Carthel model. That worked at WT and Commerce. Why not for Hughes? I did chat with one assist coach. He said WT was getting very good reception from recruits. Much more so than in the previous two recruiting cycles.

I totally agree, but had to take the annual beating of "that's just horrible for the kids/how can you coach that many/nobody goes there for $500" from many a WT fan

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    I totally agree, but had to take the annual beating of "that's just horrible for the kids/how can you coach that many/nobody goes there for $500" from many a WT fan
    I personally don't care the recruiting approach in terms of numbers... But I don't understand how you keep that many players happy. I guess we will see how it all unfolds the next couple of years.

I personally don't care the recruiting approach in terms of numbers... But I don't understand how you keep that many players happy. I guess we will see how it all unfolds the next couple of years.
    If you offer 100 kids, expect to sign 50. Of those 50, if 10 are jucos, that leaves 40 HS kids. That's about the LSC norm.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-21-2018 at 04:24 PM.

You don’t keep players happy and yes there will be a large turnover every year. Mass incoming to compensate for turnovers and hopefully you keep more talented.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234