Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: WT - Head Volleyball Coach Skoch let go

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT: WT - Head Volleyball Coach Skoch let go

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Curious.......What makes you say that?

(I am not a VB guy....even though my DIL played college VB. Shame on me).
    The Panhandle turns out about 20 kids a year that go on to play college ball. WT has had several AAs from this area, including NCAA D2 POY Sarah Butler Cartel, a Canyon girl. About 5 or 6 D1s every year. WT had basically ceded these kids under Skoch. For a small population, the talent turned out every year in this area is disproportional. Angelo, Tarleton, Midwestern, Eastern, even Kingsville recruits heavily here. Thru the years their rosters have had plenty Panhandle talent. WT needs to and should get 2 or 3 of the top kids every year. That hasn't been happening. Many of the best kids here say Skoch never recruited them. Never came to watch. Never talked to them. WTF??? He'd go out and get some project from Oregon or N Carolina or Arizona and ignore a potential all-conference kid 10 miles down the road. After a while, those kids down the road quit considering WT.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-10-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    From Mick Haley to a woman who has never been a college head coach before. Quite the drop-off.
    pros and cons on that one. In five years he's 80.

Word had gotten around throughout the state of the Texas club levels grapevine that Skoch's WT was not a place you wanted to go play for. That's one of the reasons the talent dried up at WT the past 4 or 5 years. Word gets around.

I believe Potts will change that immediately. Talented kids who haven't had WT on their radar will be receptive to the new HC. WT VB fans are going to see better talent and a product that will be more commensurate with the WT VB tradition.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-11-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Word had gotten around throughout the state of the Texas club levels grapevine that Skoch's WT was not a place you wanted to go play for. That's one of the reasons the talent died up at WT the past 4 or 5 years.
    I think that was evident based on where he was being forced to pull recruits from.

The Panhandle turns out about 20 kids a year that go on to play college ball. WT has had several AAs from this area, including NCAA D2 POY Sarah Butler Cartel, a Canyon girl. About 5 or 6 D1s every year. WT had basically ceded these kids under Skoch. For a small population, the talent turned out every year in this area is disproportional. Angelo, Tarleton, Midwestern, Eastern, even Kingsville recruits heavily here. Thru the years their rosters have had plenty Panhandle talent. WT needs to and should get 2 or 3 of the top kids every year. That hasn't been happening. Many of the best kids here say Skoch never recruited them. Never came to watch. Never talked to them. WTF??? He'd go out and get some project from Oregon or N Carolina or Arizona and ignore a potential all-conference kid 10 miles down the road. After a while, those kids down the road quit considering WT.
    Word had gotten around throughout the state of the Texas club levels grapevine that Skoch's WT was not a place you wanted to go play for. That's one of the reasons the talent dried up at WT the past 4 or 5 years. Word gets around.

I believe Potts will change that immediately. Talented kids who haven't had WT on their radar will be receptive to the new HC. WT VB fans are going to see better talent and a product that will be more commensurate with the WT VB tradition.
    Thanks for the info.

How long do you think it will take to fix the recruiting issues?

Quote Originally Posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    From Mick Haley to a woman who has never been a college head coach before. Quite the drop-off.
    I believe the other finalist for the job was Mark Pryor, former Commerce HC, and current HC at U of N Dakota.

Thanks for the info.

How long do you think it will take to fix the recruiting issues?
    Not long. Potts should be able to attract talent immediately. I predict WT will be better next year and back on track to competing for the LSC title and being a national ranked team by 2020.

In my earlier post, I neglected to mention the multiple, almost annual, state championships Panhandle teams win with regularity.

Not long. Potts should be able to attract talent immediately. I predict WT will be better next year and back on track to competing for the LSC title and being a national ranked team by 2020.

In my earlier post, I neglected to mention the multiple, almost annual, state championships Panhandle teams win with regularity.
    With the statewide sentiment you mentioned created by Skoch, you believe Potts can clean that up in two recruiting seasons?

I had no idea the Panhandle dominated Texas when it came to VB. But then again, I only think there are two sports Football & Off-season. OHHHH.....and Curling.

With the statewide sentiment you mentioned created by Skoch, you believe Potts can clean that up in two recruiting seasons?

I had no idea the Panhandle dominated Texas when it came to VB. But then again, I only think there are two sports Football & Off-season. OHHHH.....and Curling.
    There is a decent nucleus of returning players. If Potts can go out and recruit a couple of STUDS and 6 or 7 more good players, VB will be ascending. It's not like overhauling a FB team. One AA type player, particularly a hitter, can change everything.

You've got a 5A school up there that's won 10 state titles in the last 20 or so years IIRC. Forget all the rest, you've got a nice pipeline right there.

The Panhandle turns out about 20 kids a year that go on to play college ball. WT has had several AAs from this area, including NCAA D2 POY Sarah Butler Cartel, a Canyon girl.
    Sarah Butler Carthel was a product of Amarillo High School. She originally played at U of Texas where she was Southwest Conference Newcomer of the Year.

There is a decent nucleus of returning players. If Potts can go out and recruit a couple of STUDS and 6 or 7 more good players, VB will be ascending. It's not like overhauling a FB team. One AA type player, particularly a hitter, can change everything.
    Gotcha. So I assume Potts must already be known to HS coaches and has a good rep?

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Sarah Butler Carthel was a product of Amarillo High School. She originally played at U of Texas where she was Southwest Conference Newcomer of the Year.
    My goodness. Why did she leave UT for WT???

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    NM

Why not?

family issue

Why not?
    A major DI for a DII? No knock on WT at all, but come on Chip.

I mean if it were UNT or even maye U of Houston, then I could see it.....but UT.

However, I now understand the reason....and it shows her good character.

A major DI for a DII? No knock on WT at all, but come on Chip.

I mean if it were UNT or even maye U of Houston, then I could s

However, I now understand the reason....and it shows her good character.
    If I reminder correctly (I'll try and double check), Butler was 1st team AA for 97, 98,and 99. NCAA POY for 97 and 99. WT won NC in '97 and went 98-12 in her three years at WT. Can you name the '97 D1 VB NC? Same deal.

If I reminder correctly (I'll try and double check), Butler was 1st team AA for 97, 98,and 99. NCAA POY for 97 and 99. WT won NC in '97 and went 98-12 in her three years at WT. Can you name the '97 D1 VB NC? Same deal.
    She would also have been NCAA POY for 98 had our SID been 3 minutes faster in sending in the nomination.

Me????? HAHAHAHAHA.

I can't spell the name of the sport properly, hence VB, let alone tell you anything about it.

But I did look it up (hahaha)....it was Stanford in '97. Since its birth in 1981, Texas won two VB NC. The last in 2012. Looks like Penn State won the most.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast