Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colorado St. Pueblo vs. Minnesota St. The rubber match!!

Contribute to D2

Default Colorado St. Pueblo vs. Minnesota St. The rubber match!!

Might as well get this thread started already! Pueblo matches up better with Mankato than mines so this will be a tight one! It’ll be a rubber match as well! A rematch of last year and the 2014 national championship game! Hopefully it won’t be as cold and windy as last years game...

Default Re: Colorado St. Pueblo vs. Minnesota St. The rubber match!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Might as well get this thread started already! Pueblo matches up better with Mankato than mines so this will be a tight one! It’ll be a rubber match as well! A rematch of last year and the 2014 national championship game! Hopefully it won’t be as cold and windy as last years game...
    Today was colder than last year's game too, dang freezing rain and no sun. Might be warmer for Pueblo next week! Didn't see any injuries today so CSUP should be pretty healthy this time around. I'll check flights to see if I can make the trip again.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    Today was colder than last year's game too, dang freezing rain and no sun. Might be warmer for Pueblo next week! Didn't see any injuries today so CSUP should be pretty healthy this time around. I'll check flights to see if I can make the trip again.
    Aside from being healthy... what are the biggest differences in this years team compared to last years team? Weather it’s a strength or weakness?

Aside from being healthy... what are the biggest differences in this years team compared to last years team? Weather it’s a strength or weakness?
    Offense is much more dynamic, still run heavy but some very reliable WRs. RBs are also 4 deep with Bernard McDondle back and Marcus Lindsay (younger brother of Broncos RB) having emerged as a threat. No RB has over 122 carries as they rotate them frequently. OL is all new but have really come together and played well, transfer from Baylor is 6'6 360 and is getting better each week. Getting them into 3rd and longs is the key but they are conservative enough due to their defense that they are fine with punting the ball away rather than forcing anything through the air. Starting QB Brandon Edwards has thrown just 1 interception this season.

The defense is 10 of the 11 guys you saw last year and I think might be the best defensive unit Pueblo has had since bringing the program back in 2008. Defense doesn't really have a big weakness. They force turnovers, stop the run, and get in the backfield. I believe 4 of the top 5 TFL in the RMAC were Pueblo guys. Stopping the Mankato offense will be a huge challenge for them no doubt.

Special teams they are very solid, the Pueblo punter is one of the best in D2, coverage teams allow very little on punts or kickoffs. FG kicker isn't what you guys have, but who is. He's been pretty consistent on the year though.

Playing on the road at Commerce and winning in what was basically a playoff game after losing to Mines the week before really seemed to have gotten Pueblo on track, Mankato will be well rested though and likely the biggest challenge Pueblo has had this year.
    Last edited by Turbonium; 11-18-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Unless things go wrong for me this week somehow, I'm planning on making the trip for this game. I got no kids sports stuff going on..so it works.

I haven't looked into things at all yet..but this CSUP D is among the best in the nation and they have their stud RB this year..and he was DNP a year ago..if my old mind serves me right. Expect a better CSUP team, simply.

The weather is supposed to be in the 30's..and not terrible..early forecast I saw. Weather has no impact on this one..as the teams are nearly a stylistic match..and both from cold temp areas, etc.

Blog Entries

Offense is much more dynamic, still run heavy but some very reliable WRs. RBs are also 4 deep with Bernard McDondle back and Marcus Lindsay (younger brother of Broncos RB) having emerged as a threat. No RB has over 122 carries as they rotate them frequently. OL is all new but have really come together and played well, transfer from Baylor is 6'6 360 and is getting better each week. Getting them into 3rd and longs is the key but they are conservative enough due to their defense that they are fine with punting the ball away rather than forcing anything through the air. Starting QB Brandon Edwards has thrown just 1 interception this season.

The defense is 10 of the 11 guys you saw last year and I think might be the best defensive unit Pueblo has had since bringing the program back in 2018. Defense doesn't really have a big weakness. They force turnovers, stop the run, and get in the backfield. I believe 4 of the top 5 TFL in the RMAC were Pueblo guys. Stopping the Mankato offense will be a huge challenge for them no doubt.

Special teams they are very solid, the Pueblo punter is one of the best in D2, coverage teams allow very little on punts or kickoffs. FG kicker isn't what you guys have, but who is. He's been pretty consistent on the year though.

Playing on the road at Commerce and winning in what was basically a playoff game after losing to Mines the week before really seemed to have gotten Pueblo on track, Mankato will be well rested though and likely the biggest challenge Pueblo has had this year.
    ….and then he posts while I do. Thanks for the info.

27-17 UCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    ...and both from cold temp areas, etc.
    It does not get nearly as cold in Pueblo as it does in Mankato.

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    This is true but the game in Golden today will be colder than the game in Mankato next week. Cold and wind is not something that will bother anyone that's been in Pueblo for a winter.

But it does get cold so we are use to it. Right now its in the 20’s and Pueblo had freezing rain over night.

The only weather element that was a factor in last year's game was the wind. That made it nearly impossible for either team to throw the ball, which wasn't either team's strength to begin with. Cold won't matter, snow won't matter, rain won't matter. The wind is the one that makes things very difficult offensively, the way the stadium is set up. Should be a better overall game for both teams this year. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    The only weather element that was a factor in last year's game was the wind. That made it nearly impossible for either team to throw the ball, which wasn't either team's strength to begin with. Cold won't matter, snow won't matter, rain won't matter. The wind is the one that makes things very difficult offensively, the way the stadium is set up. Should be a better overall game for both teams this year. Looking forward to it.
    The kicking game suffered too, for both teams of course, punting and kickoffs were quite the adventure to watch. It also made my face far colder than it ever wanted to be so here's to a calmer, warmer day.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    There was a reason why Blakeslee was called The Wind Tunnel in the old NCC.

The defense is 10 of the 11 guys you saw last year and I think might be the best defensive unit Pueblo has had since bringing the program back in 2008. Defense doesn't really have a big weakness. They force turnovers, stop the run, and get in the backfield. I believe 4 of the top 5 TFL in the RMAC were Pueblo guys. Stopping the Mankato offense will be a huge challenge for them no doubt.

Thanks for your input!

For the Mavericks, I would say the biggest difference you’ll see is now on offense we’re a 50/50 pass/run team. Whereas last year it was more 60/40 run. Some people would say our running game is down compared to last year. I somewhat agree but I think part of that is how good our big WR’s are. Our offense is more explosive than last year in terms of quick scores. Scary thing about our offense is that we only lose one senior on the two-deep chart... not starters, one senior on the TWO DEEP chart which is TE Trevor Nissen who is a solid blocking/ receiving TE (he has a KOR for a TD) but isn’t a focalpoint on the offense.

On defense we pretty much run the same playbook from last year. I would say our defense taken a slight step back from last year. Our Only significant weakness is our secondary. It’s been better as of late mainly because our dline gets pressure on the QB neutralizing our weakness. If your guys oline gives your QB good pass protection, then it’s gonna be a long day for us.

And of course we still have our awesome kicker :D

We could very well go all the way this season but next year will be “our year” for our best chance to win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    There was a reason why Blakeslee was called The Wind Tunnel in the old NCC.
    I thought that was your nickname.
    Last edited by Clean Liver; 11-18-2018 at 07:16 PM.

16. Default Re: Colorado St. Pueblo vs. Minnesota St. The rubber match!!

Thanks for your input!

For the Mavericks, I would say the biggest difference you’ll see is now on offense we’re a 50/50 pass/run team. Whereas last year it was more 60/40 run. Some people would say our running game is down compared to last year. I somewhat agree but I think part of that is how good our big WR’s are. Our offense is more explosive than last year in terms of quick scores. Scary thing about our offense is that we only lose one senior on the two-deep chart... not starters, one senior on the TWO DEEP chart which is TE Trevor Nissen who is a solid blocking/ receiving TE (he has a KOR for a TD) but isn’t a focalpoint on the offense.

On defense we pretty much run the same playbook from last year. I would say our defense taken a slight step back from last year. Our Only significant weakness is our secondary. It’s been better as of late mainly because our dline gets pressure on the QB neutralizing our weakness. If your guys oline gives your QB good pass protection, then it’s gonna be a long day for us.

And of course we still have our awesome kicker :D

We could very well go all the way this season but next year will be “our year” for our best chance to win it all.
    Honest question, not meant to downplay Mankato’s squad. We know your group is a quality one.

But per Matt QB play is down in the NSIC all around, so if true any concerns about the pending more potent passing attacks?

Pueblo doesn’t pass as much as the two LSC teams, but they can. Especially given how much the run game sucks the secondary in. And should Mankato win then whoever they play from Texas will be willing to test the corners.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

I thought that was your nickname.
    Only after eating too much chili.

Quote Originally Posted by We-Are-Lions View Post
    Honest question, not meant to downplay Mankato’s squad. We know your group is a quality one.

But per Matt QB play is down in the NSIC all around, so if true any concerns about the pending more potent passing attacks?

Pueblo doesn’t pass as much as the two LSC teams, but they can. Especially given how much the run game sucks the secondary in. And should Mankato win then whoever they play from Texas will be willing to test the corners.
    I was trying to figure out the toughest team Mankato has faced but struggled, doesn't seem they have seen very many quality opponents this year (like Duluth?). Not to say they are not deserving of their ranking but not sure they've faced anyone near what is left in SR4. We shall soon find out!

I was trying to figure out the toughest team Mankato has faced but struggled, doesn't seem they have seen very many quality opponents this year (like Duluth?). Not to say they are not deserving of their ranking but not sure they've faced anyone near what is left in SR4. We shall soon find out!
    Augustana and Sioux Falls are pretty decent teams. I think both faced Mankato. Both would be-top tier teams in the lowly RMAC. Sioux Falls lines up and runs Power like CSUP did the three previous years. Mankato likes to run power too; a lot of 3-TE formations. Difference is that the Mavs passing attack is better than Augustana's and Sioux Falls'. The T-Wolves defense is going to see a lot of big dudes opening holes for some good sized RBs. It will be interesting how CSUP's 3-down linemen and 4 LBs play to that type of attack. The corners and DBs in the middle are going to see a lot of long passes too. I think CSUP's defensive speed can keep with with Mankato's offensive speed but that remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by We-Are-Lions View Post

I do worry about how well we would fare against teams from different conferences... overall the NSIC is down on QB play but the system we run our QB(s) isn’t the focal point on our offense. We ultimately want to beat opponents by running the ball.

While I would worry playing a team that has success throwing the ball, those teams aren’t very physical or big so our offense would make that up by playing physical. Augustana only played us close mainly because they exploited our biggest weakness in the secondary (has gotten better since) and slinged the ball all over the field and proved to be a bad matchup for us. We only got out of there with a W because of “natural talent.” As I mentioned above Pueblo matches up better with us than mines and last year playing Midwestern was a clear example that dispite them having a potent passing attack, they were not physical and small and it was a bad match up for them.

Like Matt said in the Commerce/Duluth preview, his biggest concern for UMD was tackling playmakers in “open space” and as a mav fan would be the biggest worry if we face you guys again, not just pure passing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast