Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Missouri Southern

Default Missouri Southern

This should be a fun season for Lions fans. I’m expecting great things from this team.

Losses from last season: CJ Carr (do-it-all point guard), LJ Ross (starting center), Vince Fritz (frequent sixth man)
    Out for 2018-19: Christian Bundy, Achilles injury (was a super sub off the bench during the second half of the season)

Key returnees (3 starters):
    Elyjah Clark – named pre-season Player of the Year in the MIAA, he was bothered by a pre-season ankle injury and got off to a slow start in Minnesota, but we saw the old Elyjah by game 3 in St. Louis where he scored 23 on 6-12 shooting from long range, had 7 boards, 4 assists and 3 steals.
    Kinzer Lambert – scored 25 and 21 in games 2 and 3. Along with fellow junior Clark, these two appear poised to be leaders for this team this year and next.
    Braelon Walker – the third junior returning starter, defensive stopper

It’s early, but here’s what we’re seeing after three games from the key newcomers, and especially looking at how we replace the player losses from last season.

Cam Martin (6’9”) – 49 points in his second career game as a Lion, and at perennial D2 power Minnesota State no less. Teams will be game-planning for him all season long – he’s a load.
    Reggie Tharpe, point guard – three really solid performances to start the year. Makes a fan feel really good that we’ve successfully found our new floor general.
    Ted Brown (6’10” post) – proving already to be a solid post player off the bench.

Other early key contributors:
    Enis Memic (6’9”) – only senior on the team. Will be important for him to come into games ready to play.
    Dexter Frisbee – 6’11” sophomore center – back from feet injuries, along with Martin, Brown, and Memic he gives the Lions nearly 28 feet of post men! Assuming all four can contribute, there would be few D2 teams that can match this team’s depth in terms of height around the basket. This kid started several games the latter half of his freshman season.

Next up: 3 games in Puerto Rico during Thanksgiving week.

Default Re: Missouri Southern

MoSo looks to be the team to challenge the Bearcats; and possibly end the 5 year streak of conference championships.

Maybe the San Juan airport will close down til March due to the electrical grid. Seems like NW’s only hope to keep on a roll.

I believe NW gets Southern at home late in the season. A lot could ride on that game. Lots of ball to play.

3. Default Re: Missouri Southern

The Northwest start is impressive. Seems you guys did not miss a beat after losing so many good to great players from last year.

We are going to both be tested often this year as I believe most teams are going to be jacked up to play us both. Hoping our records are way up there when we meet in Maryville.

I felt going into this season that if another team had good interior scorers, it could create problems for this Northwest team... We have some length, but not really an interior presence. This definitely looks to be a strength of MoSo and could cause us a lot of issues. Hudgins for NW has gotten a lot of points at the rim, so having shot blockers back there waiting could also be a factor. We'll have to hope to spread you out and shoot well enough to get those guys out of the paint. They should be fun games to watch, and sometimes excruciatingly stressful for us fans. MoSo has had our number more than anyone the last few years.

5. Default Re: Missouri Southern

The mid major programs continue making a big mistake by not given Ben a serious look. He has been a winner in this sport his entire life.

WIH

6. Default Re: Missouri Southern

Reminding everyone this is a Missouri Southern thread, I am pleased with what Coach Boschee has done to make this his program. He has brought in some great kids and this group of sophomores and juniors should achieve something special if they will show up ready to play every game.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Reminding everyone this is a Missouri Southern thread, I am pleased with what Coach Boschee has done to make this his program. He has brought in some great kids and this group of sophomores and juniors should achieve something special if they will show up ready to play every game.
    Yeah, but Ben McCollum.

;)

First rule of D2Messageboard - EVERY thread is a Northwest Missouri thread ...

Good point on Boschee - Not early to follow a coach like Robert Corn, but Jeff has done extremely well. Let's get Sims to breath some life into football and get some momentum going with that athletic dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    First rule of D2Messageboard - EVERY thread is a Northwest Missouri thread ...

Good point on Boschee - Not early to follow a coach like Robert Corn, but Jeff has done extremely well. Let's get Sims to breath some life into football and get some momentum going with that athletic dept.
    Not trying to hijack your thread, but I think Boschee’s resume as a coach at MoSo and as a D1 player at Kansas would make him as hot a target if not more so than anyone in the MIAA. It would seem to me to be a “splashier” hire for a mid major to me. If you all make a deep run or even better, you could be searching for your next long before we are.

10. Default Re: Missouri Southern

Southern looks to extend its modest 2-game winning streak with 3 games in Puerto Rico this week. Tuesday is a matchup with U of PR-Rio Piedras followed by Minot (3-2) on Wednesday and Crookston (4-1) on turkey day. Would be great to sweep and set at 3-1 vs the NSIC so far this year.

We also host Upper Iowa on 12/19.

One game at a time though.

Southern looks to extend its modest 2-game winning streak with 3 games in Puerto Rico this week. Tuesday is a matchup with U of PR-Rio Piedras followed by Minot (3-2) on Wednesday and Crookston (4-1) on turkey day. Would be great to sweep and set at 3-1 vs the NSIC so far this year.

If you don't sweep those two, it will mean something catastrophic has happened to your team. Like, all five starters suffering season-ending injuries at the same time.

12. Default Re: Missouri Southern

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    If you don't sweep those three, it will mean something catastrophic has happened to your team. Like, all five starters suffering season-ending injuries at the same time.
    Fixed it for you.

13. Default Re: Missouri Southern

Missouri Southern 91, PR Rio Piedras 79
    (Final)
    Last edited by MisterWizard; 11-20-2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: .

14. Default Re: Missouri Southern

Lions move to 4-1 with a 76-57 win over Minot State in Puerto Rico.

One more game in PR vs. Crookston before heading home.

15. Default Re: Missouri Southern

Lions defeat Crookston 87-63 to go 3-0 in Puerto Rico. Five straight wins for the green and gold. Crookston falls to 5-2 after the 24-point loss.

Great job Lions!!!

Sounds to me like we will be traveling south to Joplin for the regional, providing we even make it!

17. Default Re: Missouri Southern

We have plenty of hotels!

18. Default Re: Missouri Southern

Biggest weakness I see so far is our free throw shooting. Only 10-22 yesterday. I notice our best shooters are those who are taking their time at the line - they appear more focused.

Other guys get the ball, take a dribble and flip it towards the rim, like they're in a hurry.

I'd tell the guys pretend you are at the carnival trying to win your gal a stuffed animal so you can get a peck on the cheek. Perhaps they'd try a little harder to swish it.

Biggest weakness I see so far is our free throw shooting. Only 10-22 yesterday. I notice our best shooters are those who are taking their time at the line - they appear more focused.

Other guys get the ball, take a dribble and flip it towards the rim, like they're in a hurry.

I'd tell the guys pretend you are at the carnival trying to win your gal a stuffed animal so you can get a peck on the cheek. Perhaps they'd try a little harder to swish it.
    If that’s your biggest weakness; the Lions will be fine.

20. Default Re: Missouri Southern

137-50 win for the Lions tonight against a Baptist Bible College team with only 7 players and none much over 6 feet tall. Everybody played fairly equal playing time, this was a small tuneup for our team after returning from the Thanksgiving week trip to Puerto Rico and before 3 big D2 games next week.

Two disappointments tonight.
    1). The game day staff should've made sure the nice turnout was made aware of the change in tipoff for next Tuesday's game to 5:30pm instead of 7.
    2). After spending several thousand dollars on new lights that can be dimmed and turned back up, there was no special lighting effects during starting lineup intros like we saw in Mankato earlier this month.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast