Thread: Commerce at Duluth..Game Preview

Blog Entries
    Contribute to D2

Default Commerce at Duluth..Game Preview

Default Re: Commerce at Duluth..Game Preview

Another great write up and analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    Enjoyed the write up. Hope the Lions can flip your predicted score and sneak out of Duluth with a win. Weather or not this is going to be a physical game up front. Whoever can control the LOS wins this one.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Witt, whether or not people agree with your picks, no one can doubt the great amount of time that you put into this. Thanks for doing this mostly thankless job!

Thanks for the info Matt. I think our overall team athleticism is going to be superior to what Duluth has faced this season. I wouldn't personally put too many chips down on the cold being a huge factor. I know that managing the cold is something y'all have pride in up there in the Arctic and folks tend to think Texas is all palm trees and sunshine, but the last 3 days we have had evening practices and the temp in Commerce has been in the 20's with 20 mph north winds blowing. So we were fortunate to get some bit of acclimation. A few points, our kick/punt returner was the 3rd leg of our National Champion 4X100 relay team. Best not let him catch it with any room to go. Nobody on that team will run him down if he gets loose. Also, expect trickery from us. Carthiel likes to roll the dice at times you wouldn't otherwise expect it from other teams.

Looking forward to the game. I think it will be close, and I think our special teams might give us the edge we need.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    I think our special teams might give us the edge we need.
    I think that was the difference in the game in Mankato last year.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I think that was the difference in the game in Mankato last year.
    Yes we had an 80 yd punt return for a TD and a 59 yd kickoff return to set up a field goal in the 4th quarter. Kristov Martinez also went 3-3 on Field Goals from 37, 38, and 48 yards. Other than that the box score was virtually identical.

Yes we had an 80 yd punt return for a TD and a 59 yd kickoff return to set up a field goal in the 4th quarter. Kristov Martinez also went 3-3 on Field Goals from 37, 38, and 48 yards. Other than that the box score was virtually identical.
    I don't remember the exact numbers, but the number of missed tackles that day were enormous. Something like 25 maybe- and more than a dozen on special teams. Speed kills.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I don't remember the exact numbers, but the number of missed tackles that day were enormous. Something like 25 maybe- and more than a dozen on special teams. Speed kills.
    What impressed me most about Commerce last year was their ability to make adjustments at halftime and completely shut everyone down in the 2nd half. Maybe tomorrow I will go back and look at it again, but I remember it being jarring. We are just as good on defense now as we were at this point last year, maybe a bit more athletic even. Im optimistic, given that our offense is not what it was.But you dont lose 3 all americans including the Harlon Hill winner and not expect some drop off. Offense might be good enough, but not great like last year.

Matt mentioned the starting QB for UMD went down for the season. Is the backup that stepped in on par running the ball as the starter was?

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Matt mentioned the starting QB for UMD went down for the season. Is the backup that stepped in on par running the ball as the starter was?
    No, John Larson was on his way to an All American season, the backup was named starter last year until a season ending shoulder injury in 2nd game then was beat out in the spring. He may be faster and is very good, but does not extend play or as powerful runner as Larson.

Quote Originally Posted by Umdfan35 View Post
    No, John Larson was on his way to an All American season, the backup was named starter last year until a season ending shoulder injury in 2nd game then was beat out in the spring. He may be faster and is very good, but does not extend play or as powerful runner as Larson.
    Tough break, but then again that’s football. Always have to try to navigate and minimize injuries. Good luck to y’all. I expect this to be a close game.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info Matt. I think our overall team athleticism is going to be superior to what Duluth has faced this season. I wouldn't personally put too many chips down on the cold being a huge factor. I know that managing the cold is something y'all have pride in up there in the Arctic and folks tend to think Texas is all palm trees and sunshine, but the last 3 days we have had evening practices and the temp in Commerce has been in the 20's with 20 mph north winds blowing. So we were fortunate to get some bit of acclimation. A few points, our kick/punt returner was the 3rd leg of our National Champion 4X100 relay team. Best not let him catch it with any room to go. Nobody on that team will run him down if he gets loose. Also, expect trickery from us. Carthiel likes to roll the dice at times you wouldn't otherwise expect it from other teams.

Looking forward to the game. I think it will be close, and I think our special teams might give us the edge we need.
    I think the weather impacting Southern teams can be very hit and miss. Sometimes teams from down south do very well in the cold....Valdosta came up in the cold in Mankato in 2012? and kinda handled the Mavs. Other times you see a team down south start looking for the heater when facing a 2 score deficit early in the game.

It's interesting you mention rolling the dice with regard to TAMUC. I recall him doing a fake punt at Harding inside his own 10 yard line..etc. Yup. Anyone in the NSIC will tell you that UMD does more gadget plays than anyone in the conference....so expect to see gadget plays for a 2pt conversion, a defensive lineman getting carries at the goal line, fake punts, fake field goals, and a maybe a jet sweep pass back to the QB, etc. I don't know what the Dogs have planned for this one, but Curt Weise isn't overly cautious and expect the unexpected..which makes for an interesting watch. Really looking fwd to this game.

Blog Entries

http://www.d2messageboard.com/entry.php?b=2338

LSC Columnist Joe Price writeup..

Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback regarding the column here fellas. I'd like to think that between my NSIC vantage point and then Joe from the LSC view, you guys are then prepared for this game Saturday.

I know a lot has to happen and may upset folks but would love to see Duluth and Mankato battle it out in the regional final!

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    I know a lot has to happen and may upset folks but would love to see Duluth and Mankato battle it out in the regional final!
    Is that because the conference is to big and y’all didn’t get a chance to play them even with the silo scheduling?

Or, is it because it makes it easy on your travel plans?

Or your just a homer ?

Is that because the conference is to big and y’all didn’t get a chance to play them even with the silo scheduling?

Or your just a homer ?
    We have home field so that don’t matter.. it would just be a great game! A battle for the SR4 championship and bragging rights for top squad in the NSIC.

Or your just a homer ?
    We play the other 7 South teams each year, and half of the North teams. So we only play them every other year. Both us and St. Cloud hate this arrangement since we used to be each other's biggest rivals.

I'm all for playing anyone at home instead of on the road.

And- Touchdown Mavs!

Best of luck to the Bulldogs this weekend. Make the NSIC proud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast