Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes at IUP

Default Re: Changes at IUP

With the new transfer rules across CFB it’s be interesting to see how teams approach the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    I am betting he was baited into abandoning his teammates. But its over now. With the secondary struggling with players ahead of him he probably wanted a chance to play. Probably went about it the wrong way, but I bet it was that he just wanted to play.....just sayin YO.
    We keep saying secondary but he was listed as a LB -- of which he was way too small.

6'3" is fine but he weighed about 145 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    We keep saying secondary but he was listed as a LB -- of which he was way too small.

6'3" is fine but he weighed about 145 lbs.
    He played the Star and Safety positions

Regardless.

Best of luck to him.

That said, he's a ghost now.

Rather than the 'what could have been' .... Who is going to be next?

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    McDonald-Horner abandoned his teammates with 2 weeks left in the season .... shows the type of character he has. Whoever gets him gets a pretty good athlete but a bigger pain in the rear end. jus sayin
    Yeah ... I was told the same thing.

That's why the other day I said Buyer Beware.

News Flash: They ALL want to play and believe they should be playing... if you don’t know what you are doing and continually make mental mistakes guess what .. you aren’t getting on the field ... interested in how one ‘baits’ another to abandon his teammates 2 weeks before the season ends? Where is the value to the kid in doing that, ‘baited’ or otherwise. He is a quitter so no matter how athletic I wouldn’t want him on my team ... jus sayin YO

News Flash: They ALL want to play and believe they should be playing... if you don’t know what you are doing and continually make mental mistakes guess what .. you aren’t getting on the field ... interested in how one ‘baits’ another to abandon his teammates 2 weeks before the season ends? Where is the value to the kid in doing that, ‘baited’ or otherwise. He is a quitter so no matter how athletic I wouldn’t want him on my team ... jus sayin YO
    The secondary in general was a hot mess. That means EVERYBODY was out there making mistakes the entire season. Unfortunately some got punished harder for their mistakes. But its over and done with. The young man is gone and I do wish him luck. Maybe it would force him to work on his craft harder to become a better player, nothing like some adversity.

I saw similar things on the CAL roster, players leaving the team midseason or even very early in the year. Not sure what this is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by VulCanDoIt View Post
    I saw similar things on the CAL roster, players leaving the team midseason or even very early in the year. Not sure what this is all about.
    It's the new thing to do in college sports ... transfer.

Not playing? Bye. Coach yells too much? Bye. You aren't the star you were in Class A high school on Day 1? Bye.

This is a generation which grew up much differently than most of us.

The IUP cast of scholars last summer realized for likely the first time no grades no play. Duane Brown was treated as a God at Apollo-Ridge -- not uncommon for stars in small towns.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    It's the new thing to do in college sports ... transfer.

Not playing? Bye. Coach yells too much? Bye. You aren't the star you were in Class A high school on Day 1? Bye.

This is a generation which grew up much differently than most of us.

The IUP cast of scholars last summer realized for likely the first time no grades no play. Duane Brown was treated as a God at Apollo-Ridge -- not uncommon for stars in small towns.
    Small town??? That's how it is every where now. Administration/coaches fudging grades etc happens all the time now in High School. The other trick is label the kid learning support and now he's eligible period in High School BUT that stuff doesn't work in college.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    Small town??? That's how it is every where now. Administration/coaches fudging grades etc happens all the time now in High School. The other trick is label the kid learning support and now he's eligible period in High School BUT that stuff doesn't work in college.
    I get the transfer stuff, guys come and go all the time. What I don't get about Horner is him leaving with 2 weeks to go. Not like he saved any eligibility by doing that .... What changed for him in the last couple weeks? He already wasn't playing much on the defense but that was by way of his own hands since it didn't look like he knew the scheme, which by the way for the DB's isn't all that complicated. Why not just grind it out to the finish? No matter what he thought of his coaches or his situation, a young man of character who cares about his teammates doesn't walk out on them like that, it will not help him down the road. He's looking for his 3rd team in 3 years that says a lot about him. jus sayin

I get the transfer stuff, guys come and go all the time. What I don't get about Horner is him leaving with 2 weeks to go. Not like he saved any eligibility by doing that .... What changed for him in the last couple weeks? He already wasn't playing much on the defense but that was by way of his own hands since it didn't look like he knew the scheme, which by the way for the DB's isn't all that complicated. Why not just grind it out to the finish? No matter what he thought of his coaches or his situation, a young man of character who cares about his teammates doesn't walk out on them like that, it will not help him down the road. He's looking for his 3rd team in 3 years that says a lot about him. jus sayin
    Not a good look. He won't stay in the PSAC. He won't want to sit out a year. IUP can also block some schools in his release.

The "winners never quit, quitters never win" ethic is not that common anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    you know, I was wondering the same thing, why wasn't he playing more when our starting Free Safety was struggling. I could see someone shooting his mouth off, and making someone mad.

Then again, the DC was the OC when we had Bo Napoleon. . . . Just sayin
    He wasn’t playing more because he wasn’t good enough to play more. He has never developed from what I saw, and physically he never put on the type of size I think coaches were hoping for back when he was originally recruited. You have to wonder how hard he worked in the off season. Did it he put in the time and effort to get better? It’s hard to say, but if you’re not even dressing, you’re obviously not part of the plan going forward.

Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good. I wish him the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m shocked the offensive line hasn’t come up in this thread. That group, in my opinion, is a big reason for IUP’s sudden decline this year. Coach Tort was quoted in Matt B’s most recent article more or less saying that if you can’t run the ball or stop the run, life is going to be difficult. I think it starts with running the ball more the stopping it.

When IUP dominated last year, they controlled games by controlling the line of scrimmage on offense, and thus, time of possession. Most teams were unable to stick to their game plans because they fell behind, and that put their offenses in much more vulnerable position. It’s amazing how much better the IUP defense was when they weren’t on the field as much, and teams had to become more predictable against them. For God’s sake, Shippensburg even ran on them and was able to stay on plan. No offense to Ship fans, but that should have never happened.

Did Lenny take a step back, or was he the benefactor of great offensive line play last season? Maybe a little of both. The bigger question is, how did this group that returned all but one starter not improve, and even get worse? I feel pretty strongly that the poor offensive line play was THE biggest factor in the disappointing season. We can talk about ineligibility, injuries, etc., but that group was BAD.

When I see an entire group take a step back like that, it’s not just the players. It’s one thing for a single kid to have an off year, but this was more than that. This was an entire group that couldn’t block average defenses late in the season. I’d say if we’re looking for changes heading into next year, it needs to start there.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    I am not sure why he "wouldn't" have started next year. Free Safety and the Star positions are open. The young man made plays when given the opportunity to play. He probably voiced his desire to play more ESPECIALLY when the team was struggling, which probably hurt someone feelings, probably leading to the "healthy scratch" and with him ultimately deciding (according to his Twitter) that he is taking his talents elsewhere. I am sure some team, perhaps a D-II school will be happy to pick him up. I most definitely wish him well.
    AWFUL ball skills when given a chance, embarrassed by Millersville and was on field for fourth and 7 against Rock and ran into own guy.....good riddance

Quote Originally Posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    I’m shocked the offensive line hasn’t come up in this thread. That group, in my opinion, is a big reason for IUP’s sudden decline this year. Coach Tort was quoted in Matt B’s most recent article more or less saying that if you can’t run the ball or stop the run, life is going to be difficult. I think it starts with running the ball more the stopping it.

When IUP dominated last year, they controlled games by controlling the line of scrimmage on offense, and thus, time of possession. Most teams were unable to stick to their game plans because they fell behind, and that put their offenses in much more vulnerable position. It’s amazing how much better the IUP defense was when they weren’t on the field as much, and teams had to become more predictable against them. For God’s sake, Shippensburg even ran on them and was able to stay on plan. No offense to Ship fans, but that should have never happened.

Did Lenny take a step back, or was he the benefactor of great offensive line play last season? Maybe a little of both. The bigger question is, how did this group that returned all but one starter not improve, and even get worse? I feel pretty strongly that the poor offensive line play was THE biggest factor in the disappointing season. We can talk about ineligibility, injuries, etc., but that group was BAD.

When I see an entire group take a step back like that, it’s not just the players. It’s one thing for a single kid to have an off year, but this was more than that. This was an entire group that couldn’t block average defenses late in the season. I’d say if we’re looking for changes heading into next year, it needs to start there.

The season can be summed up in one very simple way, kills me to say icause Lenny was one of The reasons IUP was back, but he had 11 turnovers directly through him in the 3 losses, nothing else should be Over analyzed . If he plays average in first 2 losses they win by 10 both games....just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    The season can be summed up in one very simple way, kills me to say icause Lenny was one of The reasons IUP was back, but he had 11 turnovers directly through him in the 3 losses, nothing else should be Over analyzed . If he plays average in first 2 losses they win by 10 both games....just sayin
    maybe he had more interceptions this year, because they were in 3rd and long alot more and had more pass rushers in his face - look at the film, a missed block caused the pick six at Cal.

Truth is, he kept pulling them out of desperate situations, caused by the bad line play. QBs get too much credit and too much blame.

[QUOTE=EyeoftheHawk;2316938]I’m shocked the offensive line hasn’t come up in this thread. That group, in my opinion, is a big reason for IUP’s sudden decline this year. Coach Tort was quoted in Matt B’s most recent article more or less saying that if you can’t run the ball or stop the run, life is going to be difficult. I think it starts with running the ball more the stopping it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[]

I've talk about it a couple of times, anyway, Searles, and the TEs from last year was a loss, and Peterson was injured but I didn't expect this much of change.

20. Default Re: Changes at IUP

[QUOTE=ironmaniup;2316958]
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[]

I've talk about it a couple of times, anyway, Searles, and the TEs from last year was a loss, and Peterson was injured but I didn't expect this much of change.
    Regardless of losing the TE’s, there wasn’t a comepletely drastic change from last year. A lot more factors in then just the front 5, and teams caught up to what IUP was going to do every week. There was more than they could block and as a fan you could spot out what they were doing before the ball was snapped. The group had 4 All Psac linemen... obviously the COACHES in the west who know football did not see them as awful as they are portrayed.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast